Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Have run LMS (SBS) on PC since the start (slimp3), and for last 18 months on QNAPs and RPIs, and Odroids. Currently my production LMS is on a QNAP 670, with reserve servers (and extended family) on Odroids and smaller QNAPs.

It seems like you are saying "I want another NAS so it can run LMS and I can turn off the PC". If that's the case, I'd get an Odroid or a new Pi and install Squeezeplug (the new web setup version looks good). This will support lots of players, and does radio AAC transcoding just fine. I have a couple of these in remote locations with SSD/MSATA/USB stick for storage and it is fine. We've been blown away by its performance. No fan, no noise, small box, pop it by the router and forget it. As wife friendly as it gets, and mine just run month after month with zero maintenance. But this is not Intel, and if you want MusicIP then you need an intel processor. (I actually achieve this by installing sugarcube plugin on the odroid and pointing it to the musicip which is running on the intel QNAP)

On the NAS front, it's like comparing BMW with Mercedes. They both do the job. Both have good forums and support networks. I am very happy with my QNAPs, and my son rates his Synology highly. SSODS / SSOTS is not supported anymore, so you have to tweak it, but that's been done and you only have to change 3 or 4 things to get it working with the latest 7.9 versions. There's plenty of documentation on the forums.

I would advise against WD green unless it's on the vendor compatibility list for the NAS - and certainly QNAP seem to recommend WD Reds and not Greens. A green drive will fail in a NAS if it is run 24x7, and if you are on a single drive system (not raided) then you are exposed.

The NAS's have 1GB Ethernet, whereas RPi and Odroids only have 100mb - an issue if you are doing a lot of concurrent I/O or (say) editing your music data tags a lot.

The final choice of NAS might actually be more dependent on where it is going, the noise it makes, and the colour.

So in the end, there is no right answer. LMS will run almost anywhere, so the choice of platform comes down to a lot of other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Perhaps I'm wrong but as I believe that over heating due to poor heat dissipation is the biggest killer of external drives and as that box is fan-less I would go for green-type HDDs. Less energy used = less heat to dissipate = lower HDD temperature.

It is designed to be fanless, I have a mate who has one and uses a SSD DISK, he has not mentioned any overheating problems to me.
    I use sorbothane feet under all my stuff, they raise the equipment high enought to allow air circulation underneath and also provide some isolation from the vibrations of the hard disk when it is reading/writing.

It's just info for the OP

atb

Ronnie.

thanks for the feed back.

Much appreciated

stephen
    All the best
    ------------------------------------
    2x SB3 - Version: 7.5.4 QNAP TS251A 8GB 2x3TB for LMS and loads of other stuff. 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
    Firmware 4.3.3 - Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    It is designed to be fanless, I have a mate who has one and uses a SSD DISK, he has not mentioned any overheating problems to me.
    I use sorbothane feet under all my stuff, they raise the equipment high enought to allow air circulation underneath and also provide some isolation from the vibrations of the hard disk when it is reading/writing.

It's just info for the OP

atb

Ronnie.
    Well, SSD disks are a whole different kettle of fish to mechanical HDDs, so that is hardly a fair comparison.

I do agree that it is a good idea to raise the box so as to get better air circulation. In general I much prefer passively cooled boxes that stand upright, for the same reason (better cooling) and wouldn't buy one that you can only lie flat - but then, that is just me and perhaps my views are clouded by once having owned a WD external drive that fried because of over heating.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    Well, SSD disks are a whole different kettle of fish to mechanical HDDs, so that is hardly a fair comparison.

I do agree that it is a good idea to raise the box so as to get better air circulation. In general I much prefer passively cooled boxes that stand upright, for the same reason (better cooling) and wouldn't buy one that you can only lie flat - but then, that is just me and perhaps my views are clouded by once having owned a WD external drive that fried because of over heating.
    Good point

But you do get a silver lining

atb

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    But you do get a silver lining
    More like I become obsessive with paranoid tendencies.
    Allo Digione Signature (+LiFePo Batteries), Touch, Metrum Jade, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 10, iPad 4, iPeng.

Gone for a QNAP 112p + 3TB WD Red

now where do I start with getting it LMS up and running on it?

Simple instructions please.
    All the best
    ------------------------------------
    2x SB3 - Version: 7.5.4 QNAP TS251A 8GB 2x3TB for LMS and loads of other stuff. 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I
    Firmware 4.3.3 - Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sharper9 View Post
    Gone for a QNAP 112p + 3TB WD Red

now where do I start with getting it LMS up and running on it?

Simple instructions please.
    Good job! You'll be fine on that.
    Friedl58 over on the QNAP forum posted a very good write-up to get LMS to 7.8 or 7.9 on QNAP forum http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=103517

Any problems - post your questions - the community will help you out.

Odroid plus Max2Play for me!

I went for Odroid plus Max2Play.

Cheap, simple to set up and works flawlessly. I have been gobsmacked by the cost/performance of this set up. I purchased it to run LMS. When I started playing with it I found that the included XBMC media player streams video to my TV flawlessly too, my TV recordings, iPlayer, NRK TV, everything just works.

It now sits behind my TV freeing up my ú1000 Tranquil PC for use in the study. As far as I am concerned it does exactly the same thing for about ú70. No moving parts so completely silent. Best value for money computer thingy I ever purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by yeomanspc View Post
    Good job! You'll be fine on that.
    Friedl58 over on the QNAP forum posted a very good write-up to get LMS to 7.8 or 7.9 on QNAP forum http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=103517

Any problems - post your questions - the community will help you out.
    I thought these instructions - although bulletproof - were a bit complicated.
    I recently did this on my TS-269L (which is an Intel box with 2 disks rather than an ARM one with one disk like the TS-112).

The first problem is to download the correct binary (tarball) from the 'nightlies' site - http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/
    I'd suggest version 7.8.1 - 7.9 will require some more compicated changes.
    Download this into your /public folder. It must be renamed from logitechmediaserver-7.??.tgz to squeezeboxserver-7.8.1.tgz
    Install the standard qpkg LMS from the App menu, which will take you to version 7.7.2
    When this is running OK, go to the ssots menu at http://qnap:9099 and stop the server.

Look at the ssots 'tools' menu and see if the new tarball appears in the upgrade section
    If it does you can just upgrade. Don't forget to rescan your library when upgraded.

If it doesn't you will have to do some editing of the ssods.conf file so it is recognised.
    Firstly determine what your shared disk system is named in Linux - it may be HDA_DATA but on my QNAP it's CACHEDEV1_DATA.
    I've called that XXXXX below but you have to use the actual name.
    You can check this from LMS settings in the information menu under 'plugin settings'.
    Now you need a tool to edit the file. I found WINscp which is a FTP program was easiest to use.
    Download this from http://winscp.net/eng/index.php and install.
    Start WINscp and login to your QNAP's linux - you need user id=admin pw=admin (unless you've changed it).
    Navigate to the /share/XXXXX/.qpkg/LogitechMedia/Server/etc folder. Highlight the ssods.conf file and click edit.
    Scan down the file to line 130, edit the entry
    # directories where we look for SS tarballs
    SSTARBALLDIRS="/share/XXXXX/Public"

Replace the XXXXX with the correct share name. Save the file. Exit WINscp.
    Back on http://QNAP:9099 , make sure LMS is stopped, the new tarball should now be available in tools / upgrade.
    Run the upgrade and rescan.

Thanks to the various posters who documented this especially markelhombre and Friedl58 - I've just assembled it in one place and saved it for the next time!
    Regards Alex
    Servers:- old - QNAP TS-269L 2X4TB WD SSOTS 4.14 LMS: 7.8.1 - new - Mini-ITX box , Pentium, 4GB 1x4TB. Vortexbox 2.4 using LMS7.9
    Players:- Powerline ethernet to:-Squeezebox Duet - optical feed to Audiolab 8000DAC-Pre-Power in living room / Squeezebox Duet - phono - kitchen/
    Rpi/IQAudio DAC in garage
    Wi-Fi:- Squeezebox Boom in bedroom / Wandboard Quad SOA - with HifimeDIY DAC in office.
    Controllers:- Duet, iPeng, Orange Squeeze.