Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ID3v1 tags

I use id3v2.3 (only) and utf-16. I've not had any issues using MP3 files in iTunes, various iThings, foobar2000, or LMS or any sort of squeezebox players.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.3.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Update

I finally got to the point where I was comfortable updating my backup before attempting to remove the ID3v1 tags. Deleted the backup and copied over my library last night through this morning so I now have a "cleaner" backup.

It appears that there may have been a step missing. After hitting the red X/Remove tag button almost all information was gone. I hit the Undo button and it rescanned the library quicker than normal, still nothing. I hit refresh and it rescanned again. Now everything looks good and the ID3v1 tags are gone.

Thanks for the help and I hope this is of value to others.

Quote Originally Posted by dasmueller View Post
    I finally got to the point where I was comfortable updating my backup before attempting to remove the ID3v1 tags. Deleted the backup and copied over my library last night through this morning so I now have a "cleaner" backup.

It appears that there may have been a step missing. After hitting the red X/Remove tag button almost all information was gone. I hit the Undo button and it rescanned the library quicker than normal, still nothing. I hit refresh and it rescanned again. Now everything looks good and the ID3v1 tags are gone.

Thanks for the help and I hope this is of value to others.
    Glad it worked. regarding your steps, that is a bit odd. The only time I've ever seen everything disappear when hitting the "red X" is when I hadn't yet written ID3v2.3 tags to the files (so they only had ID3v1 tags). A way around this is to make sure your settings are correct in tag options (see picture), select all files, then hit SAVE. This will write ID3v2.3 tags if they don't exist yet. Then hit the RED X.

Name:  CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views: 176
Size:  38.6 KB
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.3.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.3.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by dasmueller View Post
    It appears that there may have been a step missing. After hitting the red X/Remove tag button almost all information was gone.
    Yes, the point is that you must NOT select the ID3v2 check box in the Remove section of the tag options!

I thought it strange as well. The files that had ID3v1 tags also had the ID3v3.2 tags along w the ID3v1. ID3v.1 was the only checked box in the remove field. At least I was able to get through it and thank goodness for the undo button ! Will be curious to see how scans go moving forward.

Resurrecting this thread. Is there a way to have LMS completely ignore id3v1 tags?

Why not just delete them. You can do this in a batch manner in mp3tag. A couple of clicks and they are all gone, leaving the ID3v2.3 or 2.4 tags.

Quote Originally Posted by SAL9K View Post
    Resurrecting this thread. Is there a way to have LMS completely ignore id3v1 tags?
    I'm guessing you did as @garym suggested from what you posted in the other thread in the Logitech Media Server section.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.2.1 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets ( both WiFi, farthest unit gets 60% signal strength and always works since new power supply) and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.2.1 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B (WiFi) /Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Why not just delete them. You can do this in a batch manner in mp3tag. A couple of clicks and they are all gone, leaving the ID3v2.3 or 2.4 tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    I'm guessing you did as @garym suggested from what you posted in the other thread in the Logitech Media Server section.
    From that thread, I was having an issue with random mix playing tracks from non-selected genres. As @garym (and others) suggested, removing id3v1 tags seems to have fixed the issue for me, but I"m still a little baffled as to why that fixes the problem, because I had no genre information encoded in the problematic mp3/id3v1 tags, and LMS presented the music with seemingly accurate track/genre library info?

I have my music on a network storage device (nas); it's not a terribly large library, some ~15K tracks, but loading all of them into mp3tag from a networked computer, and then using mp3tag filters to find the mp3's, was not practical for me (have flac/mp4/mp3 files, and don't really know what % of the total library are mp3). So I ended up manually finding the subset mp3's to manipulate in mp3tag. This got me thinking if there's a way for LMS to simply ignore these problematic tags altogether.

Is there a way to open a networked folder in mp3tag, and only load the *.mp3's?
    Last edited by SAL9K; 2022-05-05 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by SAL9K View Post
    Is there a way to open a networked folder in mp3tag, and only load the *.mp3's?
    Search the folder for *.mp3, then drag the results onto Mp3tag main window.