Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks phillipe. That would be really nice if you could get some Q2 measurements. Then maybe I can see if I need to order that part as well.

The Q3 component is a thyristor. I replaced it, but still have no display.

Given that I have a totally dead display, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to re-cap this board.

Quote Originally Posted by beels View Post
    The Q3 component is a thyristor. I replaced it, but still have no display.

Given that I have a totally dead display, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to re-cap this board.
    Don't put it in the bin. Per previous mails, you should contact Joe if you are in EU. If you are in NAM, I can give it a try, or I'll buy it for parts

[edit]: I also have a spare motherboard that works, I can send it to you as well.
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2019-03-02 at 23:46.
    LMS 7.9 on Pi 3B+ & Odroid-C2 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, Riva 1 & 3

Success

Add me to the list of folks that swapped out caps C16 and C20, and can now use my player again (without buying an external DAC)! Thanks to all who posted before me, especially ralphy for the detailed instructions and excellent pictures, and majones, whose comment led me to this confidence-inspiring video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8N9O3a9jiM.

This is the first time I have attempted a repair like this, and while my soldering was ugly, it got the job done!

Just resurrected my SB3 thanks to this thread. Relatively easy to do. I twisted off the caps (see this video for demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8N9O3a9jiM ) and soldered in a pair of Elna Silmic Audio capacitors bought off eBay seller 'closedcube' in the UK for ú5.46 including postage. Sound is now superb again! Many thanks.

philippe_44 resurrected two of my sb3s by replacing all the caps. They had been constantly re-booting, even after I tried new power supplies, or removing the wi-fi board for direct ethernet connection.

With the new caps, they are 100% reliable again. (I didn't have the soldering skills to do this job myself).
    Thank you philippe.

Cross-posting a question here: the analog output of my Receiver has quit working. It looks like the Receiver analog output stage uses the same silver can caps as the SB3. Are they known to suffer the same type of failures?