X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paf
    • Apr 2010

IR sensor ALMOST dead - any cure?

Hello

After 5 years of faithful service, my Squeezebox Touch has developed a problem.

The IR remote control only works when i hold the remote very near to the Touch, and it seems to become worse every day.

As the problem happens with several remotes (two original SB remotes and a Harmony 785), it must be on the side of the Touch.

Does anybody know this problem already or any solution? As an electrical engineer, I'm not afraid of opening my Touch and soldering, but with such a partial malfunction, no schematics and no advice, there is not much place for hope!

Thanks and regards
    Patrick
  • Fizbin
    • Jan 2013

Have you tried the simple things? Like unplugging the SBT for awhile (overnight), and try the reset procedure by pressing the little button at the back, for around 15 seconds. You can also perform a factory reset from the Settings > Advanced menu.

Comment

• DonOregano
      • May 2010

I've got the same problem with two Touches! Very annoying...
      I've been thinking about doing some soldering and replacing the ir sensor, but I'd prefer to hear from someone who's successfully done this before I try it myself.

Comment

• yeomanspc
        • Apr 2005

Are you sure that nothing else in the room ( like an or extender) isn't also sending IR. If it is then the touch is being flooded and will not pick up the remote correctly. I'd be surprised if it's the sensor. I once had an extender (blaster) where interference was causing it to be on low transmit all the time
        3 of every player ever sold back to SLIMP3 (missed Booms)

Comment

• paf
          • Apr 2010

Schematics of the Touch available somewhere?

Hello

I have tried all possible resets and power-offs. There is no IR sender which could perturbate in the room.

The problem looks like the value of some components drifting somewhere between the sensor (diode?), filtering circuitry (is there any?) and decoding chip.

The minimum to have a small chance of finding the problem would be to have the electric schematics of this part of the circuitry of the Touch.

==> anybody knows where I can find the schematics?

Regards
          Patrick

Comment

• toby10
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by paf
            .... anybody knows where I can find the schematics?
            AFAIK They are not and will not be published.

Comment

• paf
              • Apr 2010

... there are many devices whose schematics are not published officially, but still available on the internet...

After all, Logitech has destroyed the SqueezeBox line, so they could at least publish the schematics... if they want to sell something again to their frustrated SB customers like me.

I'm not far from telling "never again Logitech" after the SB experience.

Patrick

Comment

• atrocity
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by paf
                Does anybody know this problem already or any solution?
                This has recently suddenly happened to one of mine as well. In my case, it barely works even if I hold the remote right up to the Touch. I've changed batteries, tried different remotes, verified that remotes that won't work with that touch work with others, etc. I'm convinced that you're right and the sensor is on the way out.

I have another touch in a different room that sometimes responds quickly to remote commands and sometimes does not.

The only solution I've found is to use a tablet or phone as the controller.
                Last edited by atrocity; 2015-02-23, 17:56.

Comment

• alfista
                  • Aug 2009

IR sensors can fail but they are generally very reliable so it's worth ruling out other possibilities before giving up on them.
                  If you haven't already I would test it in a dark room, there are some light sources, including flat panel TVs, that are known to interfere with IR signals.

Comment

• paf
                    • Apr 2010

Hopeless

The technical side
                    A SqueezeBox Radio just next to the Touch works perfectly with the same remotes ==> it is definitively a problem in the Touch.
                    Yes, IR sensors are usually very reliable, but the failure can be anywhere in the chain between the photodiode/transistor and the digital signal, so there are some possibilities. And it seems that the IR sensors of the SB Touch do fail (see the other messages in this thread).

==> the only chance I see of solving the problem without schematics is if the SB Touch used an integrated IR receiver module (i.e. an IR diode, amplifier, filter with digital output all in a package) which I could replace. Anybody knows if it is the case?

The commercial side
                    I asked the local Logitech office (here in Switzerland) and got the answer, that
                    • they don't repair or replace devices which are out of warrany
                    • they don't give any technical information (e.g. schematics) which would allow a third party to repair such a device
                    • but I could try to ask a repair service (but how would they know how to repair without any documentation?)

For the last 20 years I believed that Logitech had great hardware and an excellent service but now I realise that I was wrong.

So... bye bye Logitech

If anybody knows an alternative to the SB Touch (network player and radio with big display, no amplifier and more reliable software than the Logitech Media Server), please let me know!

Regards
                    Patrick

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by paf
                      The technical side
                      A SqueezeBox Radio just next to the Touch works perfectly with the same remotes ==> it is definitively a problem in the Touch.
                      Yes, IR sensors are usually very reliable, but the failure can be anywhere in the chain between the photodiode/transistor and the digital signal, so there are some possibilities. And it seems that the IR sensors of the SB Touch do fail (see the other messages in this thread).

==> the only chance I see of solving the problem without schematics is if the SB Touch used an integrated IR receiver module (i.e. an IR diode, amplifier, filter with digital output all in a package) which I could replace. Anybody knows if it is the case?

The commercial side
                      I asked the local Logitech office (here in Switzerland) and got the answer, that
                      • they don't repair or replace devices which are out of warrany
                      • they don't give any technical information (e.g. schematics) which would allow a third party to repair such a device
                      • but I could try to ask a repair service (but how would they know how to repair without any documentation?)

For the last 20 years I believed that Logitech had great hardware and an excellent service but now I realise that I was wrong.

So... bye bye Logitech

If anybody knows an alternative to the SB Touch (network player and radio with big display, no amplifier and more reliable software than the Logitech Media Server), please let me know!

Regards
                      Patrick
                      Do you actually need to use the remote? I find the LMS WebUI or the apps for iOS and Android to be superior.
                      An alternative to the SB Touch with a big display would be an iPad with iPeng or SqueezePad, with the in-app purchase of playback. No IR, of course, but you can use the iOS or Android apps to control it.

Robert
                      Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
                      Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
                      2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
                      Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
                      Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Gandhi
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by paf
                        The technical side

These are the only pictures I've ever found of the inner life of the Touch: http://diyparadise.com/blogs/2010/05...eezebox-touch/
                        There you'll also find instructions for how to open it up.

I have no Touch, but the IR sensor is probably the little module at approximately top left on the first and second picture. Perhaps you could verify this by looking for a suitable hole on the front panel.

I have no idea what the kind/make/model of the module is, though. You'll probably have to open the Touch up and see for yourself, but obviously there's no guarantee of finding a comprehensible marking anyway.

Good luck!
                        Best Regards,
                        Gandhi

Not often enough well recorded and mastered CDs | dBPowerAMP with AccurateRip | FLAC | fanless ASRock Z77E-ITX Intel i5-3570T | Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 32-bit | LMS 7.8.0 | BruteFirDRC 3.0 (REWv5) | Transporter (balanced out) | Thule IA252B | Audio Physic Scorpio | no fancy cables. + Also some Booms. + Harmony 525s for them all, including waking the server from S3.

Comment

• fcm4711
                          Slim Devices Developer
                          • Apr 2005

Hi guys

I can confirm that the IR sensor is at the top left corner of SB Touch as Gandhi already suspected. From what I can tell it's the same / similar little module that was used in SliMP3, Squeezebox 1 and 2, SB Classic, SB Boom, Transporter, SB Radio and Smart Radio too. The module itself only filters out the IR carrier which is around 38kHz.

If you have ruled out other sources that might interfere with IR like neon lights, TV sets, etc. I probably would take SB Touch apart and try IR without the front cover to see if maybe the front cover somehow is diminishing the IR signal. (Some dust maybe or some other deposit on the plastic.)

After that I would try to replace the IR module with a similar one. They all seem to have the same pinout.
                          Pin 1 = IR out
                          Pin 2 = VCC
                          Pin 3 = GND

Felix
                          Programming is the art of cleverly arranging bits and bytes. - (c) Felix Mueller

Comment

• Ikabob
                            • Aug 2009

Battery?

No one has asked, have you changed the battery on the remote? I know it's a simple question that , no doubt, you have done. Just thought I'd ask the simple question. ��
                            I also have had other wifi devices interfere with my television remote. After somehow hiding or blocking from view those devices, the remote worked fine.
                            Last edited by Ikabob; 2015-02-27, 15:13.
                            Ikabob

Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
                            Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
                            Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
                            Ipeng remote controller.

Comment

• TechHome
                              • Nov 2005

I also have a Touch with failed IR sensing. If you complete a successful repair, please post what you did,

thanks

Doug

Comment

Working...