Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
    I'll post a V2.2 shortly which will be have a fix for Windows and a few other minor tweaks.

PlayHLS V2.2 available - fix for Windows

I've put up V2.2 which should fix the Windows issue.

There was one other minor issue fixed - a log message about "invalid private key length"

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I've put up V2.2 which should fix the Windows issue.

There was one other minor issue fixed - a log message about "invalid private key length"
    Can confirm the Windows issue is fixed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No sound from LMS after installing PlayHLS

Good morning.
    I just installed PlayHLS on my LMS (v. 7.9.2) running on raspberry (Debian).
    I'm using ffmpeg version 3.2.10
    Im using this test URL "https://wz4web.scahw.com.au/live/4buddha_32.stream/playlist.m3u8" which is decoded correctly by ffmpeg (I tested redirecting the output to a flac file).
    However, when opening the URL in LMS, everything seems to be working, but I get no sound from my Squeezelite player.
    Any idea about what I might be missing or doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by franz159 View Post
    Good morning.
    Im using this test URL "https://wz4web.scahw.com.au/live/4buddha_32.stream/playlist.m3u8" which is decoded correctly by ffmpeg (I tested redirecting the output to a flac file).
    However, when opening the URL in LMS, everything seems to be working, but I get no sound from my Squeezelite player.

Which version of PlayHLS are you using? The latest version does not use ffmpeg.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by franz159 View Post
    Good morning.

The PlayHLS V1.* uses ffmpeg to transcode but on some MP4 multiplexed stream, audio is not in the right "place". Not sure whether this is the issues but it would be better to move to PlayHLS V2.*

The stream plays OK for me with PlayHLS V2.* and with this stream it has the added bonus of displaying metadata such as what track is being played.

If you are not using playHLS V2.* - then replace the PlayHLS repo with the following
    http://bpa-code.github.io/bpaplugins...ls-v2-beta.xml

The PlayHLS V1.* uses ffmpeg to transcode but on some MP4 multiplexed stream, audio is not in the right "place". Not sure whether this is the issues but it would be better to move to PlayHLS V2.*

The stream plays OK for me with PlayHLS V2.* and with this stream it has the added bonus of displaying metadata such as what track is being played.

If you are not using playHLS V2.* - then replace the PlayHLS repo with the following
    http://bpa-code.github.io/bpaplugins...ls-v2-beta.xml
    Thanks bpa. I've also updated to PlayHLS V2, and the SBT now connects to HLS streams more quickly than before and also now shows file type and bitrate info (before it just said 'Apple HLS'). This makes me wonder, is transcoding still going on, or is it now decoding the streams natively?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_G View Post
    Thanks bpa. I've also updated to PlayHLS V2, and the SBT now connects to HLS streams more quickly than before and also now shows file type and bitrate info (before it just said 'Apple HLS'). This makes me wonder, is transcoding still going on, or is it now decoding the streams natively?
    Assuming the "it" to be the SB Touch in the phrase "is it now decoding the streams natively?"

"Apple HLS" is just a piece of text to indicate that the stream had a MIME type that meant it was going to be processed by the PlayHLSv1 plugin. There is no other significance.

HLS streams can be typically have the following audio formats: MP3, ADTS/AAC, MPEG2/AAC or MPEG4/AAC.

PlayHLSv1 - uses ffmeg to take the HLS stream and produce a MP3, PCM or Flac format - depending on the player capability. ffmpeg would transcode bit rate and format into whatever player could handle (or 44.1kHz/16bit for PCM). The source bitrate , sample size etc or metadata in the stream is not available to LMS from ffmpeg.

The PlayHLSv2 plugin prcoesses the HLS stream "packets" (e.g. MPEG2, MPEG4) within LMS so it has access to bit rates, sample size and metadata (e.g. track, artist, station, images) if available and in a known format (metadata data format is not standardized and can vary by station/CDN). This data can then be presented via LMS to the UI.

If the source is AAC wrapped in ADTS/AAC, MPEG2/AAC or MPEG4/AAC, the plugin produces an ADTS/AAC byte stream which is the AAC format that can be decoded "natively" by Touch, Radio and most SB software players - so these players can play the stream without LMS transcoding but still need the plugin (i.e. not direct streaming).

Older player such as SB3, Classic, Boom Transporter, Receiver, Softsqueeze and some builds of Squeezeplay cannot play AAC nativley - in which case LMS will transcode to a compatible format according to the FileTypes settings for AAC.

If the source format is MP3, then all players can play it natively.

The main "performance" difference between PlayHLSv1 and PlayHLS v2
    - in v2 no ffmpeg so no additional process and memory (ffmpeg is big)
    - in v2 AAC is only transcoded as required and then using standard LMS faad which is lighter than ffmpeg.
    - v2 plugin is platform agnostic - no need to find & install a suitable ffmpeg/avconv
    - in v1, Because ffmpeg couldn't generate suitable ADTS/AAC streams, AAC was transcoded even for AAC capable players.
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-11-21 at 03:23. Reason: typos

Assuming the "it" to be the SB Touch in the phrase "is it now decoding the streams natively?"

"Apple HLS" is just a piece of text to indicate that the stream had a MIME type that meant it was going to be processed by the PlayHLSv1 plugin. There is no other significance.

HLS streams can be typically have the following audio formats: MP3, ADTS/AAC, MPEG2/AAC or MPEG4/AAC.

PlayHLSv1 - uses ffmeg to take the HLS stream and produce a MP3, PCM or Flac format - depending on the player capability. ffmpeg would transcode bit rate and format into whatever player could handle (or 44.1kHz/16bit for PCM). The source bitrate , sample size etc or metadata in the stream is not available to LMS from ffmpeg.

The plugin prcoesses the HLS stream "packets" (e.g. MPEG2, MPEG4) within LMS so it has access to bit rates, sample size and metadata (e.g. track, artist, station, images) if available and in a known format (metadata data format is not standardized and can vary by station/CDN). This data can then be presented via LMS to the UI.

If the source is AAC wrapped in ADTS/AAC, MPEG2/AAC or MPEG4/AAC, the plugin produces an ADTS/AAC byte stream which is the AAC format that can be decoded "natively" by Touch, Radio and most SB software players - so these players can play the stream without LMS transcoding but still need the plugin (i.e. not direct streaming).

Older player such as SB3, Classic, Boom Transporter, Receiver, Softsqueeze and some builds of Squeezeplay cannot play AAC nativley - in which case LMS will transcode to a compatible format according to the FileTypes settings for AAC.

If the source format is MP3, then all players can play it natively.

The main "performance" difference between PlayHLSv1 and PlayHLS v2
    - in v2 no ffmpeg so no additional process and memory (ffmpeg is big)
    - in v2 AAC is only transcoded as required and then using standard LMS faad which is lighter than ffmpeg.
    - v2 plugin is platform agnostic - no need to find & install a suitable ffmpeg/avconv
    - in v1, Because ffmpeg couldn't generate suitable ADTS/AAC streams, AAC was transcoded even for AAC capable players.
    Thanks again bpa. No wonder it's snappier than before!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_G View Post
    Thanks again bpa. No wonder it's snappier than before!
    Trying to preempt comments on V2 with older SB players.

Even with transcoding, I think V2 will seem "snappier" as initial HTTP fetches to get stream info and initial data do not have to be duplicated and there is reduced time taken buffering before audio starts. On smaller systems (e.g. Pi's) there may be a time difference starting the transcoding chain - ffmpeg vs faad/flac as ffmpeg is a bigger "beast".