Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

BBC error message about no longer supporting WMA ?

Hi

Pressed my usual BBC presets on Boom tonight and got message from BBC about no longer supporting Windows Media playback.

However I went into stock main menu Radio app, searched for BBC, reselected offending stations (1, 2 and 6) and they worked.

What's all this about then ?
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S9+ (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

The BBC is in the process of decommisioning some legacy services to be able to focus resources on the areas providen best value to listeners. One of the legacy services which support was removed last year and is now in the process of active shut down is WindowsMedia (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/...6-3938cfb4b882 ).
    Squeeze devices should be able to consume the shoutcast option without problems (I suspect that by re-selecting your stations you switched to the shoutcast option).

Thanks for the link - very informative.

Shoutcast only for a year or two though.

Will I be able to access BBC via MySB.com after this (assuming Logitech haven't pulled the plug on this by then as well) ?

And what about LMS and BBC streaming ?
    Touch x 2, Booms x 2, Squeeze Cntrl on Samsung S9+ (Duet Receiver + Controllers x 2 - semi-retired)

Have a look at one of the other threads ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...-%28UK-only%29 ) which implies that AAC streams are working.

In terms of SB.com I can't comment because this depends on many details (e.g. if slimdevices/logitech signed a contract with the BBC to agree the use of the streams which would have included some form of availability and formats definition most likely).

In the context of LMS I'm sure that a way will be found to make use of HDS/HLS/DASH/(whatever is relevant) at the time it is required because LMS is running on some capable OS (read: transcoding/re-packaging will be possible). The reason I hadn't commented on the possibility of using AAC is that while I know that AAC (or flac in the future) is playable in the SQ universe I'm not sure if the employed delivery container (e.g. flash) is easily usable.

In terms of how long shoutcast will be available depends on the amount of devices requiring this option. If I'm reading between the lines and take into account that one of the BBC objectives is reach in terms of people/devices (not ratings) which can use BBC services, it is probable that shoutcast will only be dropped once an absolute minority would fail to use BBC services at all.
    Many of the "old" devices will die a natural death (h/w failure), some (and I count SQ in there too) will be enabled to use other delivery options leaving fewer devices reliant on shoutcast over time. Therefore I think a 2 year point is a reasonable time frame to revisit the decision of keeping shoutcast alive (taking rtmp as an example which started as an delivery option well after shoutcast and has been dumped already due to technology moves it might be the case that shoutcast continues but the hds/hls/aac option gets replaced with something better in two years time too).

I hope its ok to tag onto this thread

I'm having the same problem with SB3 running LMS 7.7.1 on zyxel NAS box. I can't run the AAC stream from BBC and the WMA stream was ok until yesterday.

Has anybody got any ideas that might help?

Your trouble is that the zyxel 7.7.1 LMS version has transcoding disabled, even though the ARM processors used can cope with a modest amount of transcoding. Which zyxel NSA model do you have? I have a NSA325 v2 and this can comfortably transcode the 128kbps BBC aac streams for my Duet receivers using less than 20% processor load. But I've done my own install of the full 7.9 version of LMS, which includes the transcoding binaries...

I'm guessing that it should possible to get the zyxel LMS version to transcode the aac streams by copying the faad binary from one of the main LMS distribution arm-linux tarballs to the LMS Bin/arm-linux/ directory and modifying the LMS startup script to remove the --notranscoding option.

thanks utgg

I have nsa325v2. I was hoping there might be a simple fix without compromising the zyxel set up. I already run a beaglebone with squeezelite for headphone use so maybe it's time to get another for the main system and retire the SB3.
    The squeezelite set up plays AAC streams no problem.

Hi,

I notice that the BBC app is still pointing at the streams that are no longer available. Does anyone know if the app will be modified to point at the working streams?
    Chaz

Quote Originally Posted by MorrisMinah View Post
    I notice that the BBC app is still pointing at the streams that are no longer available. Does anyone know if the app will be modified to point at the working streams?
    Can't answer that, but you're welcome to try the RadioFeeds UK & Ireland app, available from the App Gallery.
    Working BBC streams are listed, including half of the BBC locals at 128k.
    More of the BBC locals will be popping up this week.
    RadioFeeds UK & Ireland.. an up-to-date radio directory for your Squeezebox/Transporter/UE Smart Radio.. available from the mysqueezebox.com App Gallery.
    Bonus: our RadioFeeds LMS plugin also lists AAC and the BBC's high-quality HLS streams on top of what's available in our MSB app.
    Now with over 1000 registered users, it's available for Logitech Media Server (and Squeezebox Server, SqueezeCenter and SlimServer).
    Click for more info: http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/squeeze