Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Boom is a magnificent unstable peace of garbage

Always regarded the Boom a very unstable and unreliable, but now it has decided to take this to a new level.
    It restarts, hangs, becomes sluggish.
    Yes, I have turned the power off for several minutes and yes, I have restarted the LMS.
    My Touch and Radio work fine.
    Any suggestions apart from throwing it out of the window?
    Pulled the Ehternet cable out and now it works. Anyone know why it works for many months and then suddenly decides to not like it?
    Last edited by Zombie; 2019-07-28 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Always regarded the Boom a very unstable and unreliable, but now it has decided to take this to a new level.
    It restarts, hangs, becomes sluggish.
    Yes, I have turned the power off for several minutes and yes, I have restarted the LMS.
    My Touch and Radio work fine.
    Any suggestions apart from throwing it out of the window?
    Pulled the Ehternet cable out and now it works. Anyone know why it works for many months and then suddenly decides to not like it?
    You can sell it to me or have Jo fixing it. It’s likely some faulty components inside or the WiFi cars which is failing
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

My boom is rock stable, sorry do not agree on the statement.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

The WLAN card in Boom, SB2, Sb3, Classic,Transporter and Receiver often fails but in a gradual erratic way - one way oftens reset the device after a few minutes.

The WLAN card is easy and cheap ($/£/€5-10) to replace.

PSU failure (i.e low voltage/current) can also result in strange behaviours but as Boom can tolerate a wide range of voltage compared to SB3/Classic, it is not as common a failure

The Boom is doing very well for its age - it was released same time as iPhone 4 - how many iPhone 4s are in use ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The WLAN card is easy and cheap ($/£/€5-10) to replace.
    This might help fix my Boom wifi issue - without dismantling the Boom (for now) can anyone advise the make/model of a suitable wifi card for a Boom (not a UE Boom, but the original model)?

There are many threads use google to search - something like "site:forums.slimdevices.com wlan card " or "site:forums.slimdevices.com wifi card "

Here is a post by a user with link to instructionb hwo to disassemble Boom and a link (now dead) to a card
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post867911

This is a thread I started with "compatible" cards
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...mp-Transporter

You can buy new TP-Link card but may be harder to find.#

edit:

A dearer (about £20) external solution would be a nano-router (aka travel router) setup as a reverse AP connected to Boom ethernet.
    Last edited by bpa; 2019-07-29 at 07:51.

A faulty one, how long are you using it? But replacement some components inside might help and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You can sell it to me or have Jo fixing it. It’s likely some faulty components inside or the WiFi cars which is failing
    I have a Working Boom I'd be more then happy to part with.
    (missing remote). PM if interested
    Last edited by kabrera; 2019-09-08 at 10:08.