Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    I'm not interested in multichannel music. I don't care about multichannel for movies either.
    The hassle of the increased number of cables and speakers just doesn't justify it for me. I prefer a decent stereo system, even for movies. I find a good quality recording way more important than multichannel music. The industry seems to have a lot of difficulties of providing good quality recordings. I would prefer they would focus more on that part instead of high res and multichannel.
    my exact same sentiments on the subject matter. i'd rather spend more on fewer components, plus i truly have never been impressed by any multichannel system when it comes to music. note i am not saying there possibly aren't extremely awesome sounding multi-channel systems out there, but i haven't heard one yet. and it seems people need to fool around from movie to movie with settings so something isn't overly boosted, which would annoy the hell out of me. i just change the source and volume. anyone that tried to adjust anything in my system better never make plans to visit me again. :-) and the little system sounds great for all sorts of video entertainment to me, too.

i can confidently say i shall never buy a system beyond 2.1. then again, i was once on record saying i'd never ever buy a single piece of audio equipment after buying my dream system in 1999, and yet here i am. :-)
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

I've got a dedicated computer in the living room that I turn on when I want to play multichannel DVD-A rips. Since I'm running Windows, I also have to keep the monitor on. Definitely not optimal, but I have yet to hear of any other way to do it that works as reliably.

As for encapsulating DTS and AC-3 in a FLAC container, the spdifconvert.py script + DVD Decrypter used to work perfectly for me but at some point I started getting gaps when using it for AC-3. I've since started using AudioMuxer (free!) which is easier to work with and (so far, anyway) hasn't given me any gaps.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to answer this question with "I don't like it" though I suppose I'm just as guilty for whining about that.

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    I'm not sure why people feel the need to answer this question with "I don't like it" though I suppose I'm just as guilty for whining about that.
    I believe that in my previous post (#10 above) I outlined why I don't think that multi-channel audio (and to a lesser extent, video) is at the present time basically useless.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    I believe that in my previous post (#10 above) I outlined why I don't think that multi-channel audio (and to a lesser extent, video) is at the present time basically useless.
    And that's fine, you don't have to like multichannel music (or anything else, for that matter). But when someone asks "How can I..?" it seems pointless to respond with a version of "Who cares?" To me, it's no different from responding to "I have one Beethoven FLAC that won't play, any ideas?" with "Beethoven sucks!"

And that's fine, you don't have to like multichannel music (or anything else, for that matter). But when someone asks "How can I..?" it seems pointless to respond with a version of "Who cares?" To me, it's no different from responding to "I have one Beethoven FLAC that won't play, any ideas?" with "Beethoven sucks!"
    Look I'm not trying to start some kind of flame war but I really, really think that you should actually read my entire post before you reply. I clearly stated how I listen to multi-channel audio and video and I clearly outlined what I find lacking about the current state of multi-channel/surround audio and video. Plus I gave an example of one recording that at least begins to show a way to make multi-channel/surround audio worthwhile.
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Archimago View Post
    Hi guys, wondering how you all are running multichannel rigs and what format you're enjoying?

Like others have expressed, I also wish there were some way to integrate multichannel into the Squeezebox system. Awhile back I remember that if I tried to play a 5.1 song through SqueezeServer/LMS, it would hang the system and put up a bug tracker tag. I hope this bug has been fixed.

Although I have both SACD and DVD-A players, I've ripped the collection and serve the multichannel FLACs these days through foobar running on the HTPC in the room connected to my NAS server (in adjacent room so I don't hear it). Controlled on my tablet with "FoobarCon Pro" on Android. HDMI audio sent to Onkyo and decoded there... Preamps out to my stereo end and the Onkyo amps to drive center, rears, and feed sub. Works generally OK although on occasion I may lose the first couple seconds of a song or foobar gets confused with audio output device.

Are you folks doing multichannel streaming/playback like this? Still playing SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray directly?

Any favourite albums on multichannel?
    My multi-channel system is (almost) completely separate from my SB-based two channel stereo. Which means there are a lot of speakers in my living room. And since there's no "W," WAF is not a factor.

I rip DVD, BR and DVD-A discs to ISO images and store them on the same server that I use for LMS. It has HDMI out to the Denon receiver I use for HT. When I want to play one of those titles, I mount the ISO to a virtual optical drive using Alcohol 52% Free and play it using PowerDVD (my old version 9 install still plays DVD-A). I expect I could use almost any player software since the ISO looks like a shiny disc to the OS. I also have NAD and Denon players capable of playing DVD-A discs but I almost never use them anymore.

In practice, I only use the multi-channel for video with it's accompanying audio and that generally means live concert video as far as music is concerned.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Look I'm not trying to start some kind of flame war but I really, really think that you should actually read my entire post before you reply.
    It was not and is not my intent to single you out. I'm simply expressing consternation that a relatively straightforward question already has no fewer than four variations on "What you want is pointless." If I appear to be picking on you, I apologize.

The subject is important to me because I have lots of surround recordings that I enjoy and have wished for years now that the lossless ones could be integrated into the Squeeze universe. With a small but steady trickle of both new 5.1 mixes and old 4.0 mixes getting released in various formats, my desire to see a solution more flexible than Windows + Foobar2000 is only increasing.

It was not and is not my intent to single you out. I'm simply expressing consternation that a relatively straightforward question already has no fewer than four variations on "What you want is pointless." If I appear to be picking on you, I apologize.

The subject is important to me because I have lots of surround recordings that I enjoy and have wished for years now that the lossless ones could be integrated into the Squeeze universe. With a small but steady trickle of both new 5.1 mixes and old 4.0 mixes getting released in various formats, my desire to see a solution more flexible than Windows + Foobar2000 is only increasing.
    Apology accepted. Since you are someone who enjoys surround recordings I do understand your frustration with lack of support for streaming surround sound recordings using the Squeezebox system. However since Logitech has all but dropped support for 2 channel Squeezebox I really don't see them adding surround sound support now or ever. Perhaps you might get a few useful responses if you started a surround sound related thread in either the "Logitech Media Server" or the "DIY" sections of the forum.
    Last.fm

i think it is quite natural that in a forum like this a subtopic develops out of a topic like this. it'd be extremely quiet if that wasn't the usual modus operandi. :-)

one thing i am pretty sure about: there was never any intent of flaming. it's been a looooong time since i have seen on of those round here, and in here there seems to be an overriding camaraderie.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Quote Originally Posted by get.amped View Post
    My multi-channel system is (almost) completely separate from my SB-based two channel stereo. Which means there are a lot of speakers in my living room. And since there's no "W," WAF is not a factor.

I rip DVD, BR and DVD-A discs to ISO images and store them on the same server that I use for LMS. It has HDMI out to the Denon receiver I use for HT. When I want to play one of those titles, I mount the ISO to a virtual optical drive using Alcohol 52% Free and play it using PowerDVD (my old version 9 install still plays DVD-A). I expect I could use almost any player software since the ISO looks like a shiny disc to the OS. I also have NAD and Denon players capable of playing DVD-A discs but I almost never use them anymore.

In practice, I only use the multi-channel for video with it's accompanying audio and that generally means live concert video as far as music is concerned.
    Thanks for the info get.amped and atrocity.

My state of affairs in terms of multichannel is essentially the same as when I posted this about a year ago:
    http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/02...c-rebuild.html

I've ripped all my DVD-A, multichannel SACDs (converted to PCM 5.1 24/88 usually), and music Blu-Rays into 5.1 FLACs in a separate directory. They now all reside on my main music server that runs LMS 24/7 in another room (to avoid too many machines and fans in the sound room); wired ethernet for reliability - high bitrates for 5.1 24/96! Because LMS doesn't do multichannel, I don't include that directory for LMS of course.

Then that HTPC computer in the soundroom is loaded with foobar, connected to the Onkyo TX-1009NR receiver with HDMI (serves as 1080P MKV video playback as well). With the WASAPI plugin for foobar, I make sure the output is pointed to the Onkyo for playback. Foobar's library is pointed at the multichannel music directory on my server machine.

The HTPC goes to sleep when not used (vast majority of the time, just press on the keyboard to wake up). I've been using "FoobarCon Pro" on my Android tablet to control foobar for playback of those multichannel FLACs. 90+% of the time this system works without a hitch. No need to turn on the TV at all (just make sure I turn on the Onkyo receiver) unless something goes wrong and I need to diagnose the problem.

Without dedicated multichannel playback, this is as smooth as I've been able to get it to work. And with the server in another room and the HTPC essentially silent, there's no sonic obstruction.

As to whether one thinks multichannel is valuable or not, that's one of those ultimate subjective opinions of course. I personally enjoy hearing the labour of the engineers who do the mixes! Certainly very different presentations. To hear the multichannel placement of instruments or the ambience of the live performance in Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" always stuns my audiophile friends (even if it's "only" a 5.1 16/44 lossy DTS rip), or to get a true multichannel audition of Roger Waters "In The Flesh" (SACD rip) is a blast (instead of the Q-Sound enhanced CD for surround effect). Likewise the audiophile perennial demo disk "Dark Side Of The Moon" is highly suited for a surround presentation! Then there's an album like Alan Parsons' "On Air" which was created with surround in mind.

I'm looking forward to another Roger Waters favourite - "Amused To Death" coming out in discreet multichannel (another Q-Sound CD mix). Even other typically 2-channel albums sound great; for example the recent Bob Marley "Legend" from about a year ago in Blu-Ray sounds very nice in a good multichannel system.

Getting multichannel done "right" can be a bit of a challenge of course and for practical reasons, will not be for everyone including soundroom setup, WAF, increased cost, etc... I just wish it was easier without all these bits and pieces I've had to cobble together!
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.