Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

USB to TOSLINK (or S/PDIF) converter

I'm currently feeding my Touch to my old faithful Linn Classik amplifier via TOSLINK.
    I've really no reasons for changing, except for the curiosity of building and trying a combo RPi+Touchscreen that should be in a way a direct replacement for the Touch, perfectly fitting my needs.
    The standard RPi screen case does not have room for a HAT, and I really do not need an additional DAC, being perfectly satisfied with the one built in the Linn. My idea would then be to feed an all-digital signal to the Linn, but the Linn is too old and does not have an USB input, and the RPi does not have a digital out...
    Looking around the internet I found this:
    https://doukaudio.com/products/douk-...oax-dsd-192khz
    Does anybody know if this works on a RPi? Or has anybody another suggestion for an USB to TOSLINK interface/converter?
    (I wont argue here about the relative merits of different DACs or of TOSLINK over S/PDIF)
    Thanks for your suggestions!

(PS: not sure if the best place for this thread is here or in the 3rd party hardware section)
    Last edited by scala; 2021-02-14 at 03:01.

I can confirm that the HiFiMe products work with piCorePlayer although you may need to increase the output level via alsamixer.

https://hifimediy.com/product/sabre-...e23hd-usb-dac/

https://hifimediy.com/product/sabre-dac-uae23/

The 3.5mm output is optical as well as standard jack.

They are however limited to 24/96
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Excellent, thanks! I did not know these products.
    The second one that you have linked is even rather cheap, and seems to fit well my needs (as I said, I'm not interested in the DAC part, but only in the optical out)

Quote Originally Posted by scala View Post
    Excellent, thanks! I did not know these products.
    The second one that you have linked is even rather cheap, and seems to fit well my needs (as I said, I'm not interested in the DAC part, but only in the optical out)
    I tried one of mine in optical mode into a Denon-RCD-N8 for you. This was with a Pi3 and piCorePlayer. Sounds pretty good to me and doesn't need any fidlling with alsamixer in this guise. Delivers 24/96 to the Denon with no issue.

Edit - But actually I prefer the sound from the HiFiMeDiy DAC rather than digital passthrough. I'm not sure what chip is in the Denon - its a few years old and capable of 24/96 but no higher.
    Last edited by d6jg; 2021-02-16 at 09:03.
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

I'm currently feeding my Touch to my old faithful Linn Classik amplifier via TOSLINK.
    I've really no reasons for changing, except for the curiosity of building and trying a combo RPi+Touchscreen that should be in a way a direct replacement for the Touch, perfectly fitting my needs.
    The standard RPi screen case does not have room for a HAT, and I really do not need an additional DAC, being perfectly satisfied with the one built in the Linn. My idea would then be to feed an all-digital signal to the Linn, but the Linn is too old and does not have an USB input, and the RPi does not have a digital out...
    Looking around the internet I found this:
    https://doukaudio.com/products/douk-...oax-dsd-192khz
    Does anybody know if this works on a RPi? Or has anybody another suggestion for an USB to TOSLINK interface/converter?
    (I wont argue here about the relative merits of different DACs or of TOSLINK over S/PDIF)
    Thanks for your suggestions!

(PS: not sure if the best place for this thread is here or in the 3rd party hardware section)
    just posted this on another thread

https://www.tindie.com/search/?q=spdif

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I tried one of mine in optical mode into a Denon-RCD-N8 for you. This was with a Pi3 and piCorePlayer. Sounds pretty good to me and doesn't need any fidlling with alsamixer in this guise. Delivers 24/96 to the Denon with no issue.
    Cool. I'll place my order.

Cool. I'll place my order.
    You will need a suitable Toslink cable but I guess you know that. You may find like me that the sound is better using the analogue into your Linn Classik - it is a few years old after all.
    Dining Room SB Boom