Multichannel Playback - ideas and music?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Archimago
    • Nov 2005

Multichannel Playback - ideas and music?

Hi guys, wondering how you all are running multichannel rigs and what format you're enjoying?

Like others have expressed, I also wish there were some way to integrate multichannel into the Squeezebox system. Awhile back I remember that if I tried to play a 5.1 song through SqueezeServer/LMS, it would hang the system and put up a bug tracker tag. I hope this bug has been fixed.

Although I have both SACD and DVD-A players, I've ripped the collection and serve the multichannel FLACs these days through foobar running on the HTPC in the room connected to my NAS server (in adjacent room so I don't hear it). Controlled on my tablet with "FoobarCon Pro" on Android. HDMI audio sent to Onkyo and decoded there... Preamps out to my stereo end and the Onkyo amps to drive center, rears, and feed sub. Works generally OK although on occasion I may lose the first couple seconds of a song or foobar gets confused with audio output device.

Are you folks doing multichannel streaming/playback like this? Still playing SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray directly?

Any favourite albums on multichannel?
    Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.
  • Audiotic
    • Jun 2006

Hmm, I do not use the Squeezebox for multi-channel at all. I use the SACD and DVD / BluRay - way for this. I have a lot of DSD files that in principle are multi channel files but have the 2 channel in them. This is played through Audirvana and a USB connection. As stereo.
    My DAC can only handle stereo, the DAC in my pre-amp can decode multi-channel but that's only used for movies :-)
    Marantz NA-11S1 PCM/DSD streamer with Squeezebox Touch front-end - Marantz UD9004 / AV8801 / MM8003 & CI Audio D-200 MkII (front only) - Nubert NuVero & R.E.L. R-528SE - Siltech & ProLine custom made Silver & Gold, XLR where possible

Comment

• Archimago
      • Nov 2005

Yeah, just to clarify. No Squeezebox in the multichannel pathway for me either. The only place the signal intersects with the stereo gear is thru the preamp in home theater pass through mode to play the front channels.

Sounds good.

If anyone hasn't done so, check out some of the upsampled DTS conversions from stereo CD (you can find some as SPEC conversions). Little Feat's 'Waiting for Columbus' is a good one. Sounds almost like a pro mastering to me!
      Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective' audiophile blog.

Comment

• Mnyb
        • Feb 2006

The only way to get multichannel is ac3 or dts files compressed as flac or wav .
        Thats what toslink or spdiff supports

But with so many third party players aviable with hdmi capable hardware ,
        Maybe its time to support 5.1 flac files ?
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
        Bedroom/Office: Boom
        Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
        Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
        iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
        (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
        server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• darrenyeats
          • Mar 2007

I am not a fan of multichannel. Ok for movies.
          Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
            • Oct 2006

I'm not interested in multichannel music. I don't care about multichannel for movies either.
            The hassle of the increased number of cables and speakers just doesn't justify it for me. I prefer a decent stereo system, even for movies. I find a good quality recording way more important than multichannel music. The industry seems to have a lot of difficulties of providing good quality recordings. I would prefer they would focus more on that part instead of high res and multichannel.
            Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
            1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
            1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
            ReadyNAS NVX for storage
            piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
            iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
            http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• Mnyb
              • Feb 2006

I do have a lot of DVDA in 5.1 it does really sound good , some mixes are gimicky but there are good ones like the discs AIX put out a decade ago .

As i have a Meridian system i have well functioning surround modes even for 2ch music I often use these they enhance the experience in some situations .

I think even paul klispsh was onto it in the 50's or something with an idea of a center fill channel for stereo .

Even if things are recorded with 2 ch does not necesarily mean that you must play them back with 2 ch .
              I dont think these things are mutually exlusive , for example combining home theater and hifi .

And I only did 2ch rips of my DVDA discs , I have no way of playing back discrete 6 ch files . I guess i'm open to suggestions on what to use for that , do you guys use a htpc or something and what software ?

My experience is that video and music demands completely different strategies and tagging and also browsing software . Whats good for films and tv series might not be ideal for music .
              Would be nice if multichannel where supported by LMS and if the software players supported it ,it could be used with a wandboard or similar .
              But I realise that downloads in 6ch and hirez is an even rarer thing than real music in DSD , so maybe it's not worth anyone’s time unless for the fun of it .

I think my old pile >100 DVDA is what could have been and history , but music bluerays is a thing , but they often come with video too ?
              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Comment

• ralphy
                • Jan 2006

I use linux and the process described on the wiki which uses spdifconvert.py to encapsulate ac3 or dts into flac. There's a link to download the script on the wiki.

To avoid a blast of static on a stereo only setup, make sure you tag those flac files as multichannel, I use GENRE=multichannel, and exclude that genre from automatic mixes, in my case SmartMix, for players that aren't connected to an amp that supports AC3/DTS decoding.
                Ralphy

1-Touch, 5-Classics, 3-Booms, 2-UE Radio
                Squeezebox client builds donations always appreciated.

Comment

• Mnyb
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ralphy
                  I use linux and the process described on the wiki which uses spdifconvert.py to encapsulate ac3 or dts into flac. There's a link to download the script on the wiki.

To avoid a blast of static on a stereo only setup, make sure you tag those flac files as multichannel, I use GENRE=multichannel, and exclude that genre from automatic mixes, in my case SmartMix, for players that aren't connected to an amp that supports AC3/DTS decoding.
                  Yes that's a good idea to keep them out of the mix, I also have some ac3 files and know the static blast .
                  Also keep volume at 100% for this to work and be carefull when syncing , another opurtunity for static

Comment

• ralphpnj
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Archimago
                    Hi guys, wondering how you all are running multichannel rigs and what format you're enjoying?

Are you folks doing multichannel streaming/playback like this? Still playing SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray directly?

Any favourite albums on multichannel?
                    To answer your questions:

I have a home theater set up which uses an older Marantz HTR (which still works fine) with front, center and rear speakers plus a subwoofer. Playback is via either an Oppo blu-ray player (for SACD, DVD-A, DVD and blu-ray) or through a SB Touch (for DTS encoded flac files)

Multi-channel for the most part is pretty much a joke - for movies and videos the rear channels have almost no content except for sound effects or crowd noise (sports broadcasts). About the only good thing is the center channel which does provide for nice clear dialog. For music it's pretty much equally useless with the rear channels just providing a little ambiance, which is more often than not barely audible.

As for favorite multichannel albums I've heard one that actually uses the extra channels with any degree of artfullness: Björk's Medulla (on SACD). On Medulla any and all of the front, center or rear channels can be used as the primary point of origin for the music. Gimmicky? Yes but at least the rear channels get to do something besides play some barely audible "ambiance".
                    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
                    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
                    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
                    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
                    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
                    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
                    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
                    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
                    Last.fm

Comment

• pablolie
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Pascal Hibon
                      I'm not interested in multichannel music. I don't care about multichannel for movies either.
                      The hassle of the increased number of cables and speakers just doesn't justify it for me. I prefer a decent stereo system, even for movies. I find a good quality recording way more important than multichannel music. The industry seems to have a lot of difficulties of providing good quality recordings. I would prefer they would focus more on that part instead of high res and multichannel.
                      my exact same sentiments on the subject matter. i'd rather spend more on fewer components, plus i truly have never been impressed by any multichannel system when it comes to music. note i am not saying there possibly aren't extremely awesome sounding multi-channel systems out there, but i haven't heard one yet. and it seems people need to fool around from movie to movie with settings so something isn't overly boosted, which would annoy the hell out of me. i just change the source and volume. anyone that tried to adjust anything in my system better never make plans to visit me again. :-) and the little system sounds great for all sorts of video entertainment to me, too.

i can confidently say i shall never buy a system beyond 2.1. then again, i was once on record saying i'd never ever buy a single piece of audio equipment after buying my dream system in 1999, and yet here i am. :-)
                      ...pablo
                      Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
                      System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
                      Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
                      Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Comment

• atrocity
                        • Mar 2008

I've got a dedicated computer in the living room that I turn on when I want to play multichannel DVD-A rips. Since I'm running Windows, I also have to keep the monitor on. Definitely not optimal, but I have yet to hear of any other way to do it that works as reliably.

As for encapsulating DTS and AC-3 in a FLAC container, the spdifconvert.py script + DVD Decrypter used to work perfectly for me but at some point I started getting gaps when using it for AC-3. I've since started using AudioMuxer (free!) which is easier to work with and (so far, anyway) hasn't given me any gaps.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to answer this question with "I don't like it" though I suppose I'm just as guilty for whining about that.

Comment

• ralphpnj
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by atrocity
                          I'm not sure why people feel the need to answer this question with "I don't like it" though I suppose I'm just as guilty for whining about that.
                          I believe that in my previous post (#10 above) I outlined why I don't think that multi-channel audio (and to a lesser extent, video) is at the present time basically useless.
                          Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
                          Last.fm

Comment

• atrocity
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ralphpnj
                            I believe that in my previous post (#10 above) I outlined why I don't think that multi-channel audio (and to a lesser extent, video) is at the present time basically useless.
                            And that's fine, you don't have to like multichannel music (or anything else, for that matter). But when someone asks "How can I..?" it seems pointless to respond with a version of "Who cares?" To me, it's no different from responding to "I have one Beethoven FLAC that won't play, any ideas?" with "Beethoven sucks!"

Comment

• ralphpnj
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by atrocity
                              And that's fine, you don't have to like multichannel music (or anything else, for that matter). But when someone asks "How can I..?" it seems pointless to respond with a version of "Who cares?" To me, it's no different from responding to "I have one Beethoven FLAC that won't play, any ideas?" with "Beethoven sucks!"
                              Look I'm not trying to start some kind of flame war but I really, really think that you should actually read my entire post before you reply. I clearly stated how I listen to multi-channel audio and video and I clearly outlined what I find lacking about the current state of multi-channel/surround audio and video. Plus I gave an example of one recording that at least begins to show a way to make multi-channel/surround audio worthwhile.
                              Last.fm

Comment

Working...