pi based systems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Julf
    • Dec 2010

Very cool! Been thinking of doing something similar for portable use - already have one rpi inside a 1950's tube radio.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• Jeff07971
      • Aug 2011

Looking forward to see the details of these:-

sigpic
      Want a webapp ? Get SqueezeLite-X ! https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post903953

Comment

• wtnh
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Pascal Hibon
        Finished the RPI streamer for another friend.
        This one has an internal power supply and is fitted with an SPDIF hat. Initially I planned on using the Hifiberry Digi+ but it doesn't work well with the display. The PCB sits over the display connecter and so obstructing the display cable. The Hifiberry "clone" does not have that issue. The clone also has a better supply filtering on board.
        The streamer also has a 12 volts trigger input so that it is automatically powered on when the preamp is switched on.
        Below are some pictures of the streamer:

[ATTACH]23031[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23032[/ATTACH]
        OK - now I am inspired to clone your work ! I am planning to build in a power supply as well, but will use a Hammond toroidal transformer and a linear dual regulator like this one. This will enable me to separate the power for the Pi and the DAC (I have an Allo Boss). Also planning a combo switch/filter/fuse power input module.

A couple of questions:
        - does this version use the same Hammond box as your previous ones - just not chopped as much? Looks like it is a lot deeper and I will need the extra room.
        - Looks like you used a longer-than-standard display cable - where did you get that?

Thanks for a great design!

Comment

• epoch1970
          • Apr 2008

Wiring for high-power PSU

Some people like me want to give their amp some punch on the cheap and use enclosed PSUs. I thought I'd share about my way of doing this.
          The general design is the same as this one: Pi 3, Justboom AMP Hat, 75W PSU, metal box.

This enclosure happens to look just vile, sorry for that...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	paris_kitsch-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	1563567

There is as little material as possible inside the box, both in quantity and variety. The cables are of the high-temperature, low-smoke type. Ground wires are 2.5mm2, AC wires 1.5mm2, DC wires 0.75mm2. They are oversized considering high ambient temperature. Ground cables must be the last ones to melt, go fat and short. Audio cables are 1.5mm2, same type.

Name:	paris_kitsch-2.jpg
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	1563568

Accidental access to mains voltage can kill. I use a grounded alu shield to completely enclose the area. Also note the removable cover is grounded to the case. If the case is anodised, grind it to ensure bare metal contact at ground points. Ensure you have continuity between the earth pin of the power inlet and any part of the box: cover, case, chassis, shield, psu enclosure... everything. (And, no, earthing does not "kill wifi".)
          Also, if you do a bit of cutting/grinding, make sure the inside of the case is clean and dust-free. You don't want a speck of metal to detach, land somewhere and cause a short-circuit.

Name:	paris_kitsch-3.jpg
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1563569

Use a 3-pin power inlet with earth and AC fuse. Dimension your fuse according to the manufacturer's PSU input specifications and the expected power draw. If you can't find the specifications and tests sheet for your PSU... get another one.
          Here you see a 250V/1.25A normal blow fuse. 1.25A is probably a bit large, even considering temperature derating. Also note the insulating adhesive feet under the case.

Name:	paris_kitsch-4.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1563570

I hope this design is less unsafe than some I see floating around the Internet. And please chime in if you see an issue with it.
          2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• epoch1970
            • Apr 2008

In a nicer looking vintage biscuit box. Sorry again for the eyesore above...

Name:	25b-IMG_1582.jpg
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	1563572
            2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• epoch1970
              • Apr 2008

Altoids on steroids

Overly complicated project due to the box opening only from the top.

Name:	vichy - 1.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1563649

Name:	vichy - 2.jpg
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1563647

Name:	vichy - 3.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1563648

Comment

• epoch1970
                • Apr 2008

Last one, I think. Housed in a derelict Ténor TS 35 A case, circa 1934.
                The USB thinggie is an EnOcean receiver.

Name:	tenor - 2.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1563737

Name:	tenor - 3.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1563738

Name:	tenor - 1.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1563739

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
                  • Oct 2006

A friend of mine bought a Roomplayer from Simple Audio a few years back. The streamer has been sitting in the box for a couple of years until he asked me to help him set it up. We did install the streamer together and found out that the Simple Audio software is so outdated and poorly constructed. Since the company went out of business a few years back there was no way to upgrade the streamer.

The Simple Audio is housed in a beautiful enclosure and it is fitted with a good amplifier (ICEpower 50ASX; an amplifier build by B&O). It would be a shame to let those parts go to waste so I suggested to him to upgrade the Roomplayer to a Squeezebox device. Here are a few pictures of the internals:

1. The enclosure with the original Simple Audio PCB on right:

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1563792

2. I fitted an aluminum plate that would serve as the bottom plate for the new streamer guts:

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1563793

3. The final setup of the Squeezebox streamer:

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	1563794

4. The finished product:

Name:	IMG_1194.JPG
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1563795

From the outside it still looks like a Simple Audio streamer but it now is a Squeezebox.
                  If anyone is interested, these are the parts I used:

* An RPI model B
                  * An IQaudio DAC+
                  * a 5 volts SMPS
                  * a custom made trigger relay board (switches the amp on and off)
                  * a piece of breadboard containing the power LED and driver transistors for the LED and relay.

It's a tight fit but it works great.
                  Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
                  1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
                  1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
                  ReadyNAS NVX for storage
                  piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
                  iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
                  http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• odw199
                    • Feb 2008

A bit of a rushed picture, but here is my current main setup.

Raspberry pi running piCorePlayer into an All Boss DAC which then feeds an Onkyo 9010 amplifier out to KEF LS50 speakers.

So far very happy with the setup.

Name:	IMG_1856.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1563986
                    LMS Server: Mac Mini with music library on Drobo 5D
                    Living Room: Raspberry Pi + AlloBoss -> Onkyo A 9010 -> KEF LS50
                    Study: Raspberry Pi -> Audio Engine D1 -> Audio Addon Pro T3
                    Kitchen: Squeezebox Radio
                    Bedroom: SB3 -> B&W Zeppelin

Comment

• s2kiwi
                      • Jan 2015

Integrated option

I've gone for what looks to be a slightly different route from the rest of the photos on here. I've gone for a completely hidden install and in-ceiling speakers.

This is one of the ugly monster stacks I've built. This one includes:
                      • Two pi's
                      • 2 relays
                      • 2 100w mini amps
                      • Shared power supply for the amps

It may not look pretty, but it doesn't matter as it's all hidden away discretely. They are connected to in ceiling speakers in the various rooms, and configured so the various amps turn on/off with the players.

All in all I have 10 separate zones running smoothly.

Name:	IMG_20180224_140235.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1564086

Name:	IMG_20180224_141549.jpg
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1564087

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by odw199
                        A bit of a rushed picture, but here is my current main setup.

Raspberry pi running piCorePlayer into an All Boss DAC which then feeds an Onkyo 9010 amplifier out to KEF LS50 speakers.

So far very happy with the setup.

[ATTACH]24483[/ATTACH]
                        How do you find the Kef LS50 speakers? I was toying with the idea of replacing my floorstanding Missions which take up rather too much space with some smaller speakers. Was thinking of giving the LS50 speakers an audition. Aesthetically I rather like the rose gold cones!

Robert
                        Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
                        Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
                        2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
                        Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
                        Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• Paul Webster
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by s2kiwi
                          I've gone for what looks to be a slightly different route from the rest of the photos on here. I've gone for a completely hidden install and in-ceiling speakers.

This is one of the ugly monster stacks I've built. This one includes:
                          • Two pi's
                          • 2 relays
                          • 2 100w mini amps
                          • Shared power supply for the amps

It may not look pretty, but it doesn't matter as it's all hidden away discretely. They are connected to in ceiling speakers in the various rooms, and configured so the various amps turn on/off with the players.

All in all I have 10 separate zones running smoothly.
                          Was that single "ugly monster stack" for 2 zones or more?
                          Paul Webster
                          Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                          and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• edwin2006
                            • May 2017

Why 2 pi's?
                            SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
                            Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
                            Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

• atca
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DJanGo
                              maybe because

That means 5 squeezelite sessions on each rpi.
                              10 zones might be overkill but using two devices for that is imho a good idea..
                              But how do you get 10 zones from two amps? And two pi's with two line outs?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• odw199
                                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Grumpy Bob
                                How do you find the Kef LS50 speakers?

Robert
                                Love them, they are my first proper speakers and they sound amazing.
                                LMS Server: Mac Mini with music library on Drobo 5D
                                Living Room: Raspberry Pi + AlloBoss -> Onkyo A 9010 -> KEF LS50
                                Study: Raspberry Pi -> Audio Engine D1 -> Audio Addon Pro T3
                                Kitchen: Squeezebox Radio
                                Bedroom: SB3 -> B&W Zeppelin

Comment

Working...