Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by kingswindsor View Post
    Looks good, it's inspiring me to upgrade too. Could I ask where you source your library power supplies and the specs? Thanks
    Thank you!

I made the power supply PCB's myself. These where created for another project a couple of years back. And since I still had a few bare PCB's available I used those. The power supply is built around the LM350 (or NTE1929 is also an option). These are 3A adjustable regulators. Both PCB's, which are stacked upon each other by means of 45 mm standoffs, are set to output 5 volts.
    The toroid transformer has two secondary windings, one for each power supply board.

The small PCB behind the transformer in the image is a 12 volts trigger input. The player can be switched on and off by a remote device.

Name:  DSCF2768.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  58.5 KB
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal Hibon View Post
    Thank you!

I made the power supply PCB's myself. These where created for another project a couple of years back. And since I still had a few bare PCB's available I used those. The power supply is built around the LM350 (or NTE1929 is also an option). These are 3A adjustable regulators. Both PCB's, which are stacked upon each other by means of 45 mm standoffs, are set to output 5 volts.
    The toroid transformer has two secondary windings, one for each power supply board.

The small PCB behind the transformer in the image is a 12 volts trigger input. The player can be switched on and off by a remote device.

Name:  DSCF2768.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  58.5 KB
    Good info, thanks Pascal but you are more advanced than I am! I am not at the stage of building one myself at the moment but is there a commercially available alternative that might be used/adapted? Switched power supplies are obviously generally available but linear power supplies to plug in and integrate seem to be difficult to find off the shelf. I do have an iFi power supply for one piCorePlayer but only noticing marginal improvements if any (but certainly no complaints).

Quote Originally Posted by kingswindsor View Post
    Good info, thanks Pascal but you are more advanced than I am! I am not at the stage of building one myself at the moment but is there a commercially available alternative that might be used/adapted? Switched power supplies are obviously generally available but linear power supplies to plug in and integrate seem to be difficult to find off the shelf. I do have an iFi power supply for one piCorePlayer but only noticing marginal improvements if any (but certainly no complaints).
    It is not necessary to build your own power supplies; there are other options readily available. For example, a search on ebay resulted with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1083-Adju...-/324221756444

There are also a lot of very good switched mode power supplies available too. Technology has come a long way and most of them are pretty quite. The key thing in this build was to separate the RPI and display from the audio parts. The RPI for example adds some noise to the power supply rail due to its processor operating.
    Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
    1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
    1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
    ReadyNAS NVX for storage
    RPI 2B running LMS 7.9.2.
    iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad.
    http://www.last.fm/user/phibon