Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What actually goes to my Transporter?

The device setup page is very confusing. It seems to say that the server streams mp3 to my transporter. How do I get my 24-bit downloads to play in 24-bits on the Transporter?

What format are your files stored in? What are your settings for file formats?
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 on Allo Digi One Signaturewith (Lounge)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry Dig+ (Office)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
    Radio (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with pi official touchscreen and USB DAC (Bedroom)
    Squeezelite=x (Garage)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with hifiberry AMP+(Patio 2)

LMS 8 on DIY Unraid 6 Server (i5)

Squeeze user since the SB1

File formats

For the past 3 years, they have all been lossless-- FLAC or M4a. And I get hi-bitrate downloads from eclassical.com in FLAC.
    But before that, I did 320kbps mp3 and am in the process of reripping half of my 72000+ track library to m4a. P{ainful!

Just play the files in lms and they will be delivered to the transporter exactly as they are. You don't have to do anything special. Flac files will be delivered as flac. Transporter will play hires files up to 24/96.

All this assumes you haven't turned on bitrate limiting in your lms settings - player.- audio.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    For the past 3 years, they have all been lossless-- FLAC or M4a. And I get hi-bitrate downloads from eclassical.com in FLAC.
    But before that, I did 320kbps mp3 and am in the process of reripping half of my 72000+ track library to m4a. P{ainful!
    And why rip to m4a? That's lossy. Why not rip to FLAC or Apple lossless?
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    And why rip to m4a? That's lossy. Why not rip to FLAC or Apple lossless?
    Not necessarily, according to Wikipedia: "Apple Lossless data is stored within an MP4 container with the filename extension .m4a. This extension is also used by Apple for lossy AAC audio data in an MP4 container (same container, different audio encoding)."

I suppose m4a is a filename extension rather than a file format?

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.0.1/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    Not necessarily, according to Wikipedia: "Apple Lossless data is stored within an MP4 container with the filename extension .m4a. This extension is also used by Apple for lossy AAC audio data in an MP4 container (same container, different audio encoding)."

I suppose m4a is a filename extension rather than a file format?

Robert
    Aha. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Aha. Got it.
    I only knew this because I ripped a CD into Apple Lossless via iTunes, and was surprised to see m4a files!

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.0.1/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare Pi2/piCorePlayer
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP6.1.0/LMS8.0.0/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

My m4a is lossless

But, how can I tell whether the lossless files are indeed sent to the Transporter?
    The device/sound page only allows you to select the goodness, which I suppose applies to mp3s.

I wish iTunes let me rip to FLAC, but it does not.

the advanced tab formats settings page in LMS what settings do you have for FLAC?
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 on Allo Digi One Signaturewith (Lounge)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry Dig+ (Office)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with pi official touchscreen and hifiberry DAC+(Kitchen)
    Radio (Bedroom)
    PiCorePlayer 6.1 with pi official touchscreen and USB DAC (Bedroom)
    Squeezelite=x (Garage)

LMS 8 on DIY Unraid 6 Server (i5)

Squeeze user since the SB1