Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Android controller apps

Hi all,

I've been using the Controller as my control device since I started with the SB products. Worked fine for me, and I wondered what all the excitement was about, with respect to other control mechanisms.

Well, I've been toying with my new Android phone (running KitKat, 4.4.x) and got the free Logitech controller app. What a difference! I now understand. . .

Can someone point me to one of the discussions of the relative merits of different alternative control apps? I know the consensus is that the Logitech app is not the best, but I've lost track of the conclusions.

R.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Wrong forum? Would have been more sensible to post this in 3rd party software if you ask me.

In my opinion, the Logitech app is slow (sometimes almost unresponsive) and limited in functionality (it doesn't integrate nicely with some of the plugins). Some other controller apps are prettier. The Logitech app hasn't been updated in quite some time - thus, the current release hasn't been tested against recent versions of Android.

I like Orange Squeeze. Its GUI feels snappy. The album art display looks good. It ran smoothly for me for quite some time. However, since the latest app update I am affected by a serious bug.

Squeezer is a FOSS option. I've tested early builds. There was much to like, but the app didn't seem 100% stable and solid to me. But it's an app to watch.
    Last edited by poing; 2014-12-29 at 00:23.

Squeeze Commander is really good but doesn't seem to be under active development any more

Another vote for Orange Squeeze. I used the stock app for a good while, but got fed up with accidental short vs. long presses. Orange squeeze has none of that nonsense, works well in both phone & tablet form, and is still actively developed.

I haven't experienced any bugs so far.

I feel it was well worth the money.

I'd like to weigh in for Squeeze Control.

In my opinion Orange Squeeze and Squeeze Control are the two go-for-options. Both of them are under active development and the current state is close to perfect for both, I think any minor quirks are more a matter of personal taste than real UI or App design issues. My personal experience is that both are very responsive and supportive towards bugs/enhancements.

I have switched forth and back between the two and currently I have stuck with Squeeze Control. But as stated above, it is more a matter of personal taste than of real issues with one or the other. Two minor pro arguments for Squeeze Control could be that is has a dedicated tablet mode (although it is a 1$ in-app purchase) and that the developer has started to add support for Chromecast as a "What's playing"-display ;-)

Cheers,
    Seb
    "The only word I know is 'Grunt' - and I can't spell it" (R.I.P. D.A.)

Thanks all, helpful!

For what it's worth, I looked at the third party software forum, and there seemed to be more activity here on related things so made the post. It IS "general discussion", and you can't get more general than control mechanisms.

My experience with the Logitech app is quite positive, and it's taken me no time at all to get accustomed to the long vs short presses for different things. But I'll definitely check out the others and suspect I'll settle on one of them. Or both. Or all three, counting the Logitech app.

And for what it's worth, and totally off topic, I'm very much enjoying my new phone. I am normally averse to all things Sony, but the Experia Z3 Compact seems great. I wanted a smaller form factor and it was the best reviewed. Also waterproof to some very deep level, a good thing as this morning while fiddling with other things in our laundry room I dropped the phone right into the dog's water dish. Apparently no harm done. . .
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Your next question will probably relate to playback on the Android device itself. SB Player - controlled by any of the aforementioned controller apps (except the Logitech one).
    IMHO None of the Android offerings are quite as good as Pippin's iPeng for iDevices
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Your next question will probably relate to playback on the Android device itself. SB Player - controlled by any of the aforementioned controller apps (except the Logitech one).
    IMHO None of the Android offerings are quite as good as Pippin's iPeng for iDevices
    Hadn't actually thought of that, but it's a good point -- for when having an acute need to listen to loud music while others in the house sleep. Headphones from the phone!

I'll usually have my current music as files resident on the phone, but you never know when I'll want to listen to something new and different.
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Android controller apps

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Hadn't actually thought of that, but it's a good point -- for when having an acute need to listen to loud music while others in the house sleep. Headphones from the phone!

I'll usually have my current music as files resident on the phone, but you never know when I'll want to listen to something new and different.
    Yep. Exactly. It is also very portable. I often walk around the house with a pair of headphones doing this and that. Used to be a pair of Sennheiser RF portables but now ditched in favour of a iPod touch or iPhone and a new pair of B&W p7 headphones. But it could just as well be an Android phone or tablet. I have SB Player on my Amazon Fire TV as well. The Fire TV makes a really good occasional player. Over this side of the pond SB Player is ú1.88 so ...
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Could you elaborate on that? I'm just curious as I never had a chance to use iPeng.

What exactly does it do better than the combos Orange Squeeze/SqueezePlayer or, alternatively, Squeeze Control/SB Player?