What are your favorite albums of the year / of the last months?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wombat
    • Feb 2006

If there aren't new releases i stumble across today my favorite list for 2019 isn't to long again.

Mono - Nowhere Now Here
    Nick Cave - Ghosteen
    Karen O & Danger Mouse - Lux Prima
    The Lumineers - III
    Shannon Wright - Providence
    Her Name Is Calla - Animal Choir
    Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

• mark wollschlager
      • Dec 2008

These are mine for 2019 ( in no real order ):
      Bent Knee - You Know What They Mean
      Akku Quintet - Depart
      Messthetics - Anthropocosmic Nest
      The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Life Force Of The Deep Mystery
      Frédéric L’Épée - The Empty Room
      2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
      1 X SqueezeAmp + KEF LS50 Wireless II
      1 X Receiver + Arcam SA30, KEF R3 Meta
      1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
      Raspberry Pi 3 B+ HiFi Berry Amp2 7" touchscreen PiCorePlayer 7.0
      Raspberry Pi 2 B, HiFiBerry Dac+ & Max2play
      SqueezeAmp Audioengine A5 ( passive mode ) with Infinity Sub
      Samsung A52 w/ Squeeze Ctrl
      Raspberry Pi 4b running UPnPBridge 3.3.5
      ReadyNAS 516 LMS 8.5.1 - 1713072758 Debian

Comment

• RobbH
        • Jun 2017

Okay, I'm cheating. This was released in 1981. And the reissue I'm presenting here as my sole offering in the favorites of the year category came out in 2018. But I didn't hear about it until well into 2019, and I suspect many never heard of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	darrow-blixa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1567632
        Eye of the Storm by Chris Darrow and Max Buda

Chris Darrow and Max Buda were members of the 60s American band Kaleidoscope, not to be confused with the UK band of the same name, which was active at the same time. The US version of Kaleidoscope released four memorable albums between 1967 and 1970; the first three were memorable for their excellence. Darrow and Buda have collaborated on numerous projects since the band fell apart, including two Kaleidoscope reunions, in 1976 and 1990.

Like most of their work, the album defies easy categorization. As the Rick Griffin cover suggests, it's been called surf rock, and that probably works as well as any description, as long as your concept of surf rock can incorporate violin and dobro, among other unexpected sounds. What you won't find here is ego on display. I never get the sense that anybody's solo is shouting, "Hey, look at me." It's all about making music cooperatively. The ensembles are small, but in that sense they are orchestral.

I think it's available on several streaming services, and parts are on YouTube. A more detailed review is here;

Last month, the L.A.-based label Blixa Sounds unveiled its latest release, the first-ever reissue of Chris Darrow and Max Buda's Eye of the Storm. The 1981 collaboration brought together two psych-…

second edit: the title of the album is on the cover image, and in the linked review, but was missing from this text. Corrected
        Last edited by RobbH; 2020-01-03, 17:32. Reason: correcting external link (see post #80); adding title of album to the text
        Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with a mix of Squeezebox Radio, Boom, Touch, and virtual players.

Comment

• garym
          • May 2008

Originally posted by RobbH
          Okay, I'm cheating. This was released in 1981. And the reissue I'm presenting here as my sole offering in the favorites of the year category came out in 2018. But I didn't hear about it until well into 2019, and I suspect many never heard of it.

Chris Darrow and Max Buda were members of the 60s American band Kaleidoscope, not to be confused with the UK band of the same name, which was active at the same time. The US version of Kaleidoscope released four memorable albums between 1967 and 1970; the first three were memorable for their excellence. Darrow and Buda have collaborated on numerous projects since the band fell apart, including two Kaleidoscope reunions, in 1976 and 1990.

Like most of their work, the album defies easy categorization. As the Rick Griffin cover suggests, it's been called surf rock, and that probably works as well as any description, as long as your concept of surf rock can incorporate violin and dobro, among other unexpected sounds. What you won't find here is ego on display. I never get the sense that anybody's solo is shouting, "Hey, look at me." It's all about making music cooperatively. The ensembles are small, but in that sense they are orchestral.

I think it's available on several streaming services, and parts are on YouTube. A more detailed review is here;

https://i1.wp.com/theseconddisc.com/...00%2C300&ssl=1
          Yes! David Lindley was an original member of this band, Kaleidoscope.
          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
          Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
          The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
          Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• reinholdk
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by RobbH

https://i1.wp.com/theseconddisc.com/...00%2C300&ssl=1
            Your link is pointing to the cover only. I assume you meant this one: https://theseconddisc.com/2018/12/03...-of-the-storm/

Comment

• RobbH
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by reinholdk
              Your link is pointing to the cover only. I assume you meant this one: https://theseconddisc.com/2018/12/03...-of-the-storm/
              Thanks for the correction! I've edited the post.
              Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with a mix of Squeezebox Radio, Boom, Touch, and virtual players.

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
                • Oct 2006

Well, well, well, bought only 5 albums from 2019 last year. The rest of the purchased albums are dated from the 70's till 2018.
                In no particular order:

Ash Walker - Aquamarine
                Cigarettes After Sex - Cry
                Elbow - Giants Of All Sizes
                Geike - Lost In Time
                Arno - Santeboutique
                Last edited by Pascal Hibon; 2020-01-05, 08:39.
                Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
                1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
                1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
                ReadyNAS NVX for storage
                piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
                iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
                http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• Blackfiction
                  • Oct 2008

Here are mine (excluding classical);
                  De Staat - Bubble gum
                  Lana del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
                  Balthazar - Fever
                  Durand Jones And The Indications - American Love Call
                  The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger
                  Living: EtherRegen -> Ultrarendu -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2 -> ATC SCM19 v2 & Sennheiser HD650
                  Kitchen: SB Touch -> Audio Pro Addon T10 gen2
                  Kids rooms: SB Booms
                  Bedroom: SB Boom & SB Radio
                  Controls: Material Skin & LMS via internet, iPeng
                  Server: Windows 10 Pro with LMS 8.3
                  Spare: 2 SB Touch, 1 SB3, 2 SB Radio

Comment

• Mycenius
                    • Jun 2012

Have enjoyed some new local pop:
                    • BENEE - Life on Marzz EP
                    • BENEE - Stella and Steve EP

Plus some new albums from artists who are old favourites:
                    • Beck - Hyperspace
                    • Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
                    • Of Monsters And Men - Fever Dream
                    • Six60 - Six60 (2019 Self-Titled Album)*

* If you aren't familiar with Six60 all their albums and EPs are titled 'Six60' - so the year is the distinguishing identifier...

EDIT: P.S. I have Norah Jones & Lana Del Rey's new releases lined up for some belated listening in the coming weeks.
                    Last edited by Mycenius; 2020-01-09, 02:09.
                    Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
                    Hi-Fi 2: Sqbox Touch+Shanti LPS/Focal XS Books.
                    Hi-Fi 3: PC+Squeezelite-X+Material Skin/Focal XS Books.
                    Head-Fi: Plantronics BB Pro 2 LE Headphones.
                    Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Comment

• Mycenius
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Pascal Hibon
                      Pascal - how do you rate 'elbow' - just about to listen to the latest releases (I have never heard or heard of them before)?

-> Focal Electra 1028 Be
                      Beautiful - the 'Electras' are great speakers! Can't beat Focal's 'W' Cone Drivers and Beryllium Tweeters!
                      Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS/Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS/Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D)/Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000/Focal SM9s.
                      Accessories: iPeng (iPhones/iPad Minis); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Thor PS10 Power Station; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Aurios & Vibrapods.

Comment

• reinholdk
                        • Jan 2010

Thanks all for sharing your 2019 top albums.
                        I'm still in the process of exploring & listening. There are many artists I've never heard of before, but I've already bought some of the albums.

Originally posted by RonM
                        Rhiannon Giddens...
                        Bill Callahan...
                        Bruce Cockburn...
                        @RonM: I remembered you've recommended an album of Rhiannon Giddens already before. I can't understand why I've ignored that. Now I bought her new album and I find it quite exciting. I also bought and like Bill Callahan's. I already owned the Bruce Cockburn album. When I first listened to it, it reminded me of a German acoustic guitar duo being active in the late 70s and 80s, Martin Kolbe & Ralf Illenberger. While Kolbe had to retreat from music for a long time due to a disease, Illenberger was still quite active and is living in the US. Their 'Essentials' album was on my top list for 2017.

Originally posted by Wombat
                        Mono...
                        Her Name Is Calla...
                        @Wombat: I have & like the Mono album as well. Now I bought the Her Name Is Calla album. Too bad they broke up now!

Comment

• Pascal Hibon
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Mycenius
                          Pascal - how do you rate 'elbow' - just about to listen to the latest releases (I have never heard or heard of them before)?
                          I "discovered" Elbow through a life concert with the BBC orchestra many years ago. I had heard them before but didn't quite noticed them until that particular concert.
                          As a result of that concert I bought their album The Seldom Seen Kid. That's a great album. At this time, Elbow played several big Belgian famous music festivals. And due to this also had a lot of radio coverage on StuBru (an important rock radio station). I became a fan of Elbow :-)

I also own a copy of their Build a Rocket Boys!, Little Fictions and Giants of All Sizes albums. Their latest album is probably my least favorite but that still can change as I listen to it a couple of times more.
                          So, all in all, I quite like Elbow. They are also a great life band.

Originally posted by Mycenius
                          Beautiful - the 'Electras' are great speakers! Can't beat Focal's 'W' Cone Drivers and Beryllium Tweeters!
                          Yes, these are great speakers. i have them for several years now and they get daily use. the Beryllium tweeters are in a league of their own.
                          Focal have nice speakers in different budget ranges and they are usually not difficult to drive either.
                          Very happy with my 1028Be's !
                          Yamaha A-S3000 (sliver) -> Focal Electra 1028 Be
                          1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio, 1 x SB Touch and 2 x RPI 2B
                          1 x SB3 and 1 x SB Touch in storage
                          ReadyNAS NVX for storage
                          piCorePlayer on RPI 4B as LMS server
                          iPeng on iPhone, SqueezePad & iPeng on iPad, Material Skin
                          http://www.last.fm/user/phibon

Comment

• Mycenius
                            • Jun 2012

I "discovered" Elbow through a life concert with the BBC orchestra many years ago. I had heard them before but didn't quite noticed them until that particular concert. As a result ...So, all in all, I quite like Elbow. They are also a great life band.
                            Cool - I will get on with listening to them!! I think its the latest album I have in my library - but might be one from a couple of years ago...

Yes, these are great speakers. i have them for several years now and they get daily use. the Beryllium tweeters are in a league of their own. Focal have nice speakers in different budget ranges and they are usually not difficult to drive either. Very happy with my 1028Be's !
                            Indeed, Indeed - the light weight ultra rigid "W" Cone makes them super easy to drive with nearly anything (compared to something like B&W with Kevlar drivers, super rigid too but so so heavy you need a power amp with lots of Ooommmph to control them)... I used to sell Hi-Fi, inc. full Focal range, in NZ for a while...
                            Last edited by Mycenius; 2020-01-20, 22:47.

Comment

• reinholdk
                              • Jan 2010

2020 was certainly a hard year for many people in various aspects.
                              Music-wise it was a mixed experience for me.
                              Regarding live concerts it was the worst year ever for me since the four decades I'm visiting concerts: nichts, nada, nothing.
                              But I'm still buying albums as before and enjoying listening at home. Due to working in home office for most of the year this even increased.

Currently there are 90 albums released in 2020 in my library.

My favorite album of the year is Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods.
                              Lunatic Soul is the side project of Riverside's singer and bass player Mariusz Duda, who plays all instruments on this album.
                              While his previous Lunatic Soul albums sounded more electronic, the new one is an acoustic folk/rock album.
                              I'd recommend buying the 2-CD version which comes with 3 additional tracks where one is a 27-minutes track reminding me a bit to Mike Oldfield.

So my top ten are these:

Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods
                              Crippled Black Phoenix - Ellengæst
                              Matthew Halsall - Salute to the Sun
                              Jonathan Hultén - Chants From Another Place
                              Nubya Garcia - Source
                              Nick Cave - Idiot Prayer: Nick Cave Alone at Alexandra Palace
                              Nighthawks - Only (Vocal Tunes 2004-2016)
                              Eric Clapton - Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019
                              The Waterboys - Good Luck, Seeker
                              Joe Bonamassa - Royal Tea

And here are some more I'd recommend, in alphabetical order:

Matt Berninger - Serpentine Prison
                              Ane Brun - After The Great Storm
                              Ane Brun - How Beauty Holds the Hand of Sorrow
                              Dion - Blues With Friends
                              The Dream Syndicate - The Universe Inside
                              Eels - Earth to Dora
                              Gazpacho - Fireworker
                              Glass Museum - Reykjavik
                              GoGo Penguin - GoGo Penguin
                              Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas
                              Christian Kjellvander - About Love and Loving Again
                              Robby Krieger - The Ritual Begins at Sundown
                              Kruder & Dorfmeister - 1995
                              Mino Cinelu & Nils Petter Molvær - Sulamadiana
                              Agnes Obel - Myopia
                              Pearl Jam - Gigaton
                              The Pineapple Thief - Versions of the Truth
                              Robert Plant - Digging Deep: Subterranea
                              Toots & The Maytals - Got To Be Tough
                              Nils Wülker - Go

Wishing you all a happy and healthy year 2021!

Comment

• sitro0
                                • May 2015

December 2020 , today

I'm listening Zaz :
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	81WA6WjLb8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1570793
                                - DAC32 (polyvection) + turntable : Thorens TD190-2 + CD player : Marantz CD5004 + K7 player : Toshiba +ampli : Marantz PM7001 + speaker : Magnat Quantum 1005.
                                - Raspberry 2 + Ampli-dac : Alientek D8 + speaker : Magnat Quantum Edelstein
                                - Daphile on Acer_Aspire_One + Ampli-dac : Advance Acoustic A60 + Speaker : Elipson Studio Pro

Comment

Working...