Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Apologies. Do you just want the scripts that configure ALSA or the files with the kernels and such?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_b16 View Post
    Apologies. Do you just want the scripts that configure ALSA or the files with the kernels and such?
    Just the ALSA scripts to start with. I don't know what the kernel scripts are - what do they do - are they custom building the kernel or modifying values in /proc or /sys/kernel associated witht he driver or something else ?

I didn't know how to untar files in Windows and wanted to post this quickly, so I took a screenshot of each code (they're all less than one page). Here is Reset_paths.sh (used to reset the AlsaMixer to output nothing as far as I understand):
    Name:  Reset_paths.png
Views: 34
Size:  85.5 KB

This is Record_from_lineIn.sh, which I understand allows ALSA to see the Line In source in order to record (with any program, not just arecord):
    Name:  Record_from_lineIn.png
Views: 34
Size:  56.1 KB

And this is Playback_to_Lineout.sh, which configures ALSA to allow you to play out through your Line Out (with any program, not just aplay):
    Name:  Playback_to_Lineout.png
Views: 35
Size:  46.9 KB

As for the kernel, I really don't know where it comes from. I'll do some digging on that now.

Michael

In future can you post text and not screen pictures - with text file compares can be performed - with bit maps it is a visual check which is never good as hidden chars can't be seen.

Install 7-Zip on Windows it can unpack most formats.

What is the sequence you do when running your record tests.
    When do run the reset script and the record from line script ?

In future can you post text and not screen pictures - with text file compares can be performed - with bit maps it is a visual check which is never good as hidden chars can't be seen.
    Will do!

What is the sequence you do when running your record tests.
    With these arecord-to-flac tests I have been running recently, I just run the recording/transcoding line I previously mention, then I use mplayer to play back my recordings (aplay doesn't support flac files). I play back a flac file from the command line using the syntax in the previous screenshots (mplayer -ao ...). Just those two lines for flacs.

When do run the reset script and the record from line script ?
    I just run the reset script after I first install the kernels or if I make major changes. I run the record from line in script (and Playback to line out script if I want local playback) directly afterwards. I only need to run these once, as ALSA remembers its configuration after rebooting.

Michael

To get hw_param on record okease
    1. run the reset script - this shoudl disable all functionality
    2. run the record from line script
    3. run the hw_params program

Before because you had enabled playback the hw_param was picking up the playback capability - the above should mean only record is available.

I ran through these steps and it's still listing the device as Playback. Do you have another way in mind?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mike_b16 View Post
    I ran through these steps and it's still listing the device as Playback. Do you have another way in mind?
    I think this means you can't trust the wolfson alsa driver or scripts. It doesn't seem disable functionality as promised.
    as a double check using alsamixer with wolfson card selected
    1. Press F3 and what playback devices show ?
    2. Press F4 and what capture devices show ?

After selecting my card in the alsamixer, it looks like there are 50ish playback devices for which I can change the levels/switch them on or off. Under capture, there are roughly 30 devices. Master volumes, equalizers, IN3R, things like that. I believe this has to do with the available options/outputs on the Wolfson card.

Michael

I muted (or reduced to zero) everything in the playback section of the alsamixer. Rebooted, recompiled hw_params and it still says my Wolfson card is a playback device. I'm totally stumped.

Michael