Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hey bpa,

I'll run it tomorrow and post the results. Thanks for digging around with this.

Cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    User wants lossless 192Khz/24 bit stream. I have never been able to create a http/flac stream using vlc btu perhaps vlc has been updated recently. MP3 stream can be created easily.

If you have a vlc command line for creating a http/flac stream - please share.
    Sorry, I don't - I explored that option at the beginning when I started to write my LMS to uPnP bridge, but went another route. VLC doc seems to say that they support VLC now, but also I remember looking at the streaming possibilities of FFMPEG there http://ffmpeg.org/ffserver.html. But waveinput modified is probably a better option - was just trying to help
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

I ran that C code now to try to determine the capabilities of my card. First, I put the ALSA driver in as the argument, compiled and ran the code, and then put in my Wolfson card as an argument (listed by aplay as sndrpiwsp) and ran it again. Below are the results:

Name:  hw_param_result.png
Views: 69
Size:  70.5 KB

Even though the program lost its mind and printed lines and lines about invalid arguments after I ran it for my Wolfson card, you can still see that it supports 24 bits and 192 kHz. Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but the hw_params code outputs my Wolfson card as a playback device, even though it can do both recording and playback.

I'm slightly stumped here. Any idea on how to move forward?

Thanks,

Michael
    Last edited by mike_b16; 2014-12-16 at 10:16. Reason: Included info about "Only listing playback device"

This is a standard alsa program and it interacts with ALSA API. Since you didn't supply a device on the command line it is testing the default device hw:0,0

As far as Alsa is concerned hw:0,0 is a playback device.

why don't you show what arecord -l returns and the supply the wolfoson input devices (there are at least two analog and digital) as the paramter to hw_params

As far as I can see here, it lists the recording device the same way as the playback device:

Name:  arecord -l result.png
Views: 69
Size:  74.3 KB

I'm not sure how I would specify the recording device in that C code.

Thanks,

Michael

Have you set up the wolfson card for line in audio record ? The following is from the driver software
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Record from onboard Line Input to AP

# +9dB input PGA gain
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='IN3L Volume' 8
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='IN3R Volume' 8

# better THD in normal mode vs lower noise floor in high performance
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='IN3 High Performance Switch' on

#amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='IN3 Digital Switch' on
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='IN3L Digital Volume' 128
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='IN3R Digital Volume' 128

amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF1TX1 Input 1' IN3L
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF1TX1 Input 1 Volume' 32
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF1TX2 Input 1' IN3R
    amixer -Dhw:0 cset name='AIF1TX2 Input 1 Volume' 32

# The following command should be used to test
    # arecord -Dhw:0 -r 44100 -c 2 -f S32_LE <file>

I used a preconfigured script which came with the Wolfson setup package. I'll reset that and give yours a try and let you know in a few minutes.

Michael

I don't have this card so I don't know anything about it - all I am doing is looking though its code.

This card is supposed to be able play back and also record audio in analog and digital yet it only has one ALSA device hw:0,0. From point point of ignorance - thismeans card is setup in some way before hand (e.g. enable digital in, enable analog in) and then I'm guessing the hw:0,0 "becomes" capture analog, captuer digital or playback etc depending on the card setup.

You need to provide more info. What is this routine you use to set up the card - can you post it ?

I ran the script you gave me to enable recording from the line in. I was able to record a file at 16/44.1 and play it back over the LMS to one of my players. Recording at 32/44.1 wouldn't playback at all over LMS, and I haven't configured the ALSA mixer for local playback.

I put the squeezeplug image on my SD card, and then configured the Wolfson card via the posting here. Once the kernels are enabled, the ALSA mixer still needs to be configured to allow recording or playback through various inputs/outputs. That's what those use case scripts are for (like the one you provided me, which was the same as the Record_from_lineIn.sh script in Ragnar's .tar.gz file, just with slightly different values).

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mike_b16 View Post
    I ran the script you gave me to enable recording from the line in. I was able to record a file at 16/44.1 and play it back over the LMS to one of my players. Recording at 32/44.1 wouldn't playback at all over LMS, and I haven't configured the ALSA mixer for local playback.

I put the squeezeplug image on my SD card, and then configured the Wolfson card via the posting here. Once the kernels are enabled, the ALSA mixer still needs to be configured to allow recording or playback through various inputs/outputs. That's what those use case scripts are for (like the one you provided me, which was the same as the Record_from_lineIn.sh script in Ragnar's .tar.gz file, just with slightly different values).

Michael
    Please make things easy - there are mulitple big files and I don't have time to look at thme all.
    Just post the script you used.