Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why can't I stream BBC National Stations anymore?

Hi

I had not used my Boom Radio for a few weeks but when I came to use it the other evening I found I couldn't stream any of the BBC iPlayer plug-in national live stations, e.g Radio2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Local radio stations seem to be OK, e.g BBC Solent, and also overseas services such as the World service. Seems to be the same on TuneIn Radio as well. Searching the forum there do seem to be issues with the BBC streams but nothing that helps. I also have a Touch but that is fine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Are you in the UK or outside the UK ?
    Are you using a local LMS or through mysqueezebox.com ?

Boom cannot play AAC natively but Touch can. BBC National radio are currently transmitted in WMA and http/AAC, Flash/AAC and for UK listeners Flash/MP3. If using mysb.com Boom can only play the WMA streams and if they were offline, this is the cause of your problem. BBC will be shutting down WMA stream at end of Dec (I think) and will be replaced by shoutcast MP3. So even if current problem is temporary you will need to change in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Are you in the UK or outside the UK ?
    Are you using a local LMS or through mysqueezebox.com ?

Boom cannot play AAC natively but Touch can. BBC National radio are currently transmitted in WMA and http/AAC, Flash/AAC and for UK listeners Flash/MP3. If using mysb.com Boom can only play the WMA streams and if they were offline, this is the cause of your problem. BBC will be shutting down WMA stream at end of Dec (I think) and will be replaced by shoutcast MP3. So even if current problem is temporary you will need to change in the near future.
    Yes I am in the UK.

I should have added I have LMS Version: 7.8.1 installed on a QNAP TS-112P NAS.

Dave

I'd advise not using Tunein for BBC National as Tunein only gives out WMA URLs for BBC and can sometimes give out non UK URLs which cannot pbe played by users in UK.

I'd also suggest to use the BBC iPlayer plugin menu to play Live streams and check that plugin setting has transcoding enabled and that you use the live stream option that support all 4 types of format ( IIRC something like AAC > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 > WMA )

I'd advise not using Tunein for BBC National as Tunein only gives out WMA URLs for BBC and can sometimes give out non UK URLs which cannot pbe played by users in UK.

I'd also suggest to use the BBC iPlayer plugin menu to play Live streams and check that plugin setting has transcoding enabled and that you use the live stream option that support all 4 types of format ( IIRC something like AAC > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 > WMA )
    The BBC iPlayer plugin Live Stream & Ondemand Stream Preferences are set to AAC > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 > WMA and Allow Transcoding is set to Enabled.
    Using BBC Live, as reported above, local stations stream OK (48kbps CBR wma) but not national stations (wma?).

It also appears that LMS is not re-starting when a request window/message appears, e.g. "Plugins have been updated - Restart Required". I have re-started the NAS but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Dave

Why can't I stream BBC National Stationsanymore?

Reboot computer, open lms web interface, check FAVORITES to see if
    Favorites on mysqueezebox.com is there and is populated. If not under
    Settings, log in to mysqueezebox.com again.

That should do it.

David
    On Nov 29, 2014 2:04 AM, "dave4jazz" <
    dave4jazz.6obzcn (AT) no-mx (DOT) fo...limdevices.com> wrote:

>
    > bpa wrote:
    > > I'd advise not using Tunein for BBC National as Tunein only gives out
    > > WMA URLs for BBC and can sometimes give out non UK URLs which cannot pbe
    > > played by users in UK.
    > >
    > > I'd also suggest to use the BBC iPlayer plugin menu to play Live streams
    > > and check that plugin setting has transcoding enabled and that you use
    > > the live stream option that support all 4 types of format ( IIRC
    > > something like AAC > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 > WMA )

>
    > The BBC iPlayer plugin Live Stream & Ondemand Stream Preferences are set
    > to AAC > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 > WMA and Allow Transcoding is set to
    > Enabled.
    > Using BBC Live, as reported above, local stations stream OK (48kbps CBR
    > wma) but not national stations (wma?).
    >
    > It also appears that LMS is not re-starting when a request
    > window/message appears, e.g. "Plugins have been updated - Restart
    > Required". I have re-started the NAS but that doesn't seem to have any
    > effect.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > dave4jazz's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=48687
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=102597
    >
    >

Quote Originally Posted by dave4jazz View Post
    The BBC iPlayer plugin Live Stream & Ondemand Stream Preferences are set to AAC > FlashAAC > FlashMP3 > WMA and Allow Transcoding is set to Enabled.
    Using BBC Live, as reported above, local stations stream OK (48kbps CBR wma) but not national stations (wma?).

It also appears that LMS is not re-starting when a request window/message appears, e.g. "Plugins have been updated - Restart Required". I have re-started the NAS but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Dave
    It's possible that your LMS is not set up to transcode AAC. Can you test this URL either create as a Favorite or using Web GUI "Tune-in URL" box (not Tune-in plugin) . It is BBC R3 AAC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

I think the LMS plugin update / restart issue is separate from the BBC RAdio WMA one and so I'll deal with idenitfying the BBC Radio problem first.

It's possible that your LMS is not set up to transcode AAC. Can you test this URL either create as a Favorite or using Web GUI "Tune-in URL" box (not Tune-in plugin) . It is BBC R3 AAC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

I think the LMS plugin update / restart issue is separate from the BBC RAdio WMA one and so I'll deal with idenitfying the BBC Radio problem first.
    No success with the link in "Tune In URL" or "Favourites".

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave4jazz View Post
    No success with the link in "Tune In URL" or "Favourites".
    To be sure no typos etc - test the link on your Touch - Touch can play AAC natively.

OK - it looks like no AAC support on your LMS.

Not sure if no AAC transcode is provided on your system or whether it is disabled. It would be odd that AAC transcode is not supplied.

Check WebGUI Settings/Advanced/Filetype - Under the AAC - PCM setting is it set to "Disabled" and if so can you change it to "faad" ? If you can then also change the Flac setting to "faad/flac"

edit:

Can you try this URL as Favorite etc. It is a UK WMA URL for r4. Just in case the problems with UK/non UK URLs
    mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4_bb_live_eq1_sl0
    Last edited by bpa; 2014-11-29 at 05:05.

To be sure no typos etc - test the link on your Touch - Touch can play AAC natively.

OK - it looks like no AAC support on your LMS.

Not sure if no AAC transcode is provided on your system or whether it is disabled. It would be odd that AAC transcode is not supplied.

Check WebGUI Settings/Advanced/Filetype - Under the AAC - PCM setting is it set to "Disabled" and if so can you change it to "faad" ? If you can then also change the Flac setting to "faad/flac"

edit:

Can you try this URL as Favorite etc. It is a UK WMA URL for r4. Just in case the problems with UK/non UK URLs
    mms://wmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/bbc_ami/radio4/radio4_bb_live_eq1_sl0
    I changed the settings under Advanced > Files Types > AAC as advised and BBC National Radio stations are now streaming. Excellent :-).

Also, I copied the URL address, mms://wmlive............., but it did not work on either the Boom or Touch.

PS Regarding the issue of LMS not re-booting when requested, mentioned earlier, I have started a new thread in the LMS Forum.

Dave
    Last edited by dave4jazz; 2014-11-30 at 02:44.