Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Good that you found a solution.

You needn't have copied and renamed sox - you can use "[sox]" instead of "[wavin2cmd]" and LMS will search all its "Bin" path for sox.exe and should find it in the main LMS Bin path. That'll make it easier for you to maintain - just need keep a copy of the custom-convert.conf file if plugins get re-installed

AFAIK When plugin was written sox, ffmpeg, vlc etc. all were very limited on Windows and a custom application was needed to deal with "Stereo Mix" input even VAC was not around. Now there are many alternative solutions (e.g. streamwhatyouhear).

The original author posted the plugin and left it as is. After a LMS update broke the Perl part, I did the small maintenance update but otherwise have nothing with it as I don't use Windows and nobody else seemed to want to maintain it but every so often someone needed it.

There are quite of a few of these "orphan" plugins now as there are fewer users who develop/maintain. This is a community project - if you feel the plugin needs to be updated - create an updated version.

I am not a Tidal issue but IIRC it has been investigated. I thought the main problem is Tidal can't/won't supply a MQA stream on the API LMS uses.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Good that you found a solution.
    Me too, thanks for all your help!!!

You needn't have copied and renamed sox - you can use "[sox]" instead of "[wavin2cmd]" and LMS will search all its "Bin" path for sox.exe and should find it in the main LMS Bin path. That'll make it easier for you to maintain - just need keep a copy of the custom-convert.conf file if plugins get re-installed
    Worked wonderfully! Thanks again!

AFAIK When plugin was written sox, ffmpeg, vlc etc. all were very limited on Windows and a custom application was needed to deal with "Stereo Mix" input even VAC was not around. Now there are many alternative solutions (e.g. streamwhatyouhear).

The original author posted the plugin and left it as is. After a LMS update broke the Perl part, I did the small maintenance update but otherwise have nothing with it as I don't use Windows and nobody else seemed to want to maintain it but every so often someone needed it.
    Appreciate your effort then and now! With the increasing onset of hi-res streaming services WaveInput's popularity wil probably be increasing again. It was just a suggestion - for you, me if get better at this in the future, or anyone else - since we've now found that wavin2cmd.exe doesn't really support 24bit very on windows and is not really needed anymore when sox is included and used in LMS, with its larger capabilities and still ongoing support.

There are quite of a few of these "orphan" plugins now as there are fewer users who develop/maintain. This is a community project - if you feel the plugin needs to be updated - create an updated version.
    I would if I could, but unsuccessfully spending many hours studying the plugin scripts and custom-convert.conf rules trying to get $FILE$ or any other variables to output only the channel # and not the full "wavein:#" string to be used in a favorite entry for choosing the audio device number, proves that I'm just not competent enough yet... Anyhow, as this and many other -orphaned or not - plugins still are working with various user configurations, like this one, I guess the need isn't urgent enough.

I am not a Tidal issue but IIRC it has been investigated. I thought the main problem is Tidal can't/won't supply a MQA stream on the API LMS uses.
    You're probably right. Would still be nice if @mherger &co had released a new local and better integrated solution, like Spotty, for Tidal with MQA on updated API, though. I would definitely have paid for it, and we're allowed to dream and believe in Santa Claus, aren't we? ;-)

Thanks for all your great help, bpa!

Br,
    Vegard

Quote Originally Posted by Vegz78 View Post
    I would if I could, but unsuccessfully spending many hours studying the plugin scripts and custom-convert.conf rules trying to get $FILE$ or any other variables to output only the channel # and not the full "wavein:#" string to be used in a favorite entry for choosing the audio device number, proves that I'm just not competent enough yet... Anyhow, as this and many other -orphaned or not - plugins still are working with various user configurations, like this one, I guess the need isn't urgent enough.
    Ask technical questions but include also describe the ultimate goal - there are many users who have found solutions to problem and are willing to share. Vague questions like "xxx doesn't work" can be offputting as it usually means someone at the bottom of the learning curve. Details provide reassurance.

You're probably right. Would still be nice if @mherger &co had released a new local and better integrated solution, like Spotty, for Tidal with MQA on updated API, though. I would definitely have paid for it, and we're allowed to dream and believe in Santa Claus, aren't we? ;-)
    Be grateful that Logitech still provides lots of services and Michael's time - many years after end of life and no revenue. Howver Michael's time is limited and so has to allocate time doing the work which is most urgent and/or benefits most users.

The Tidal problem is with the MQA crowd - they are the ones who won't provide access. IIRC Spotty came about because Spotify withdrew old library support - so it was necessary to develop Spotty otherwise there would be no Spotify. Again there is nothing stopping you developing your own better Tidal solution.

Working solution for 24/96 Hi-Res audio from Tidal or other sources w/WaveInput..

...plugin, testet with success on LMS server 7.9.+ on Windows 10.

Thanks to @pbjbryan and @bpa for the WaveInput pluging, which is still working for ever new applications, and for support!
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WaveInput_plugin

The problem was that the default wavin2cmd.exe transcoder bundled with WaveInput plugin didn't work with 24bit files without producing white noise and stuttering. The solution was to use the sox.exe transcoder instead, which also comes with the LMS server for Windows.

Here's a short write up on how to get it to work, based on the last couple of days with great support from @bpa:

1. Install, set up and start a virtual audio cable(VB, VAC etc.) with 24/96 between the provided virtual playback and recording devices, or set up "stereo mix" in a similar way if your soundcard comes and works with this.
    2. Make sure that the virtual playback and recording devices are both set up with the same 24/96 under "Advanced" in their properties pages from the old Windows control panel, and that all check boxes for exclusive modes are empty.
    3. Edit and save the C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins\WaveInput\custom-convert.conf to the following, where the changed line is highlighted in blue and red:
    Code:
    wavin pcm * *
    	# R
    	[wavin2cmd] -o $FILE$ 

wavin flc * *
    	# R
    	[sox] -q -r 96000 -b 24 -t waveaudio 2 -t flac -  

wavin mp3 * *
    	# RB:{BITRATE=-B %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
    	[wavin2cmd] -o $FILE$ | [lame] -r -s 44.1  --silent -q $QUALITY$ -v $BITRATE$ - -
    Remember that the device number in red is the same as the output of the C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\P lugins\WaveInput\wavein2cmd.exe -l subtracted by one, where my virtual recording device is 3 -1 = 2. You may have a different number for the correct device.
    4. Restart the LMS server
    5. Make a favorite entry with the text "wavin:2", where 2 is an arbitrary number, as the correct recording device now is hardcoded into custom-convert.conf.
    6. Start Tidal or any other audio application or source on the chosen recording device. Make sure to select MQA/Master/Hi-Res mode and the virtual playback devices as the output device in the audio application.
    7. Start playback of the new favorite entry on your Squeezebox player.

For Tidal the "Master" icon should light up in the application on supported audiotracks, and the 96kHz diodes should light up on your supported DACs/Amplifiers. For Tidal the audio path should now (theoretically)be 24bit/96 all the way and feed the extra quality/information uninterrupted to your speakers, lik this:
    Tidal Master unfolding(or any other audio source) to 24/96 -> VAC playback device 24/96 -> VAC recording device 24/96 -> Waveinput/sox 24/96 -> Squeezebox Touch 24/96 -> DAC/Amp 24/96(or analog)

UPDATE 2019.09.11: No need to set up any higher bitrate chain than 24/96 for Tidal, as I've come to learn that the Tidal PC app currently only provides MQA 1st unfold at 24/88,2-96 bitrates:
    https://www.mqa.co.uk/how-it-works
    It should work in the same way, though, with higher bitrate audio chains for other and higher bitrate inputs than Tidal specifically.

Note that:
    1. The bit streams over the networks starts get big on higher bit rates and depths(3-4Mpbs for 24/96) and might be a challange for wireless or older network equipment
    2. There are a couple of seconds delay from song start or skip in the Tidal app until sound plays from your speakers
    3. The Tidal app on the Windows server PC cannot yet, to my knowledge, be easily remote controllet from the phone/LMS-server etc. like Spotify connetct etc.

Enjoy Tidal(or other) hi-res audio on your supported Squeezebox players and please contribute with better and more convenient ways to achieve playback and/or remote control of Tidal(or other) hi-res services on this thread, if you have any good and working solutions!:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post950178

We're all of course waiting for @mherger&co and the new native (Tidal)MQA/Master plugin/app/support for LMS/Squeezebox, but from my understanding so far, we might be in for a long wait...

Br,
    Vegard
    Last edited by Vegz78; 2019-09-11 at 13:37.

Ask technical questions but include also describe the ultimate goal - there are many users who have found solutions to problem and are willing to share. Vague questions like "xxx doesn't work" can be offputting as it usually means someone at the bottom of the learning curve. Details provide reassurance.
    Noted!

Be grateful that Logitech still provides lots of services and Michael's time - many years after end of life and no revenue. Howver Michael's time is limited and so has to allocate time doing the work which is most urgent and/or benefits most users.
    I am very grateful for this and also the ever supporting community! -Which I try to express whenever I can and contribute back to the best of my ability. A lot of things me and many other would probably like to support financially/buy, as well, if we could.

The Tidal problem is with the MQA crowd - they are the ones who won't provide access. IIRC Spotty came about because Spotify withdrew old library support - so it was necessary to develop Spotty otherwise there would be no Spotify. Again there is nothing stopping you developing your own better Tidal solution.
    Understand. But we just developed a slightly better Tidal solution on LMS together, didn't we? ;-)

Thanks again and see you around on the forum!

Br,
    Vegard

Continuing in another thread

Continued explorations of ways to get hi-res Tidal audio out of the Squeezebox players, via Waveinput or otherwise, I have now moved to a new more specific and updated thread and under what I believe is the correct category:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...grated-control

Br,
    Vegard
    Last edited by Vegz78; 2019-09-12 at 08:18.

I didn't look in great detail but anything other than 1 seems very complicated.

If HiRes MQA stream can play on Windows - I would look at network traffic to find ways to do the same on LMS and cut out all the VAC & remote control stuff - my gut feel a quick initial investigation will tell if it is possible and if so then will be less work than remote control. My experience of remote controls via a relay has never been good.

I didn't look in great detail but anything other than 1 seems very complicated.

If HiRes MQA stream can play on Windows - I would look at network traffic to find ways to do the same on LMS and cut out all the VAC & remote control stuff - my gut feel a quick initial investigation will tell if it is possible and if so then will be less work than remote control. My experience of remote controls via a relay has never been good.
    Nice input, bpa!

I have replied further in the new thread dedicated to this subject.

Br,
    Vegard
    Last edited by Vegz78; 2019-09-12 at 13:54.