Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Duet: a success story!

Posted here on the off chance it might be useful to now or in future.

I've always been a big fan of Squeezebox devices. I had a Slimp3 just after it was released in the UK. Next to another video based device it was great. It just worked. Since then I've bought multiple Booms and Radios and encouraged other people to do the same. I also have a Duet. (My love for all things Squeeze was cemented with Slimp3 - I emailed a query about transcoding, thinking I was communicating with a black hole. No so; a quick response from one of the main developers was the best advert I could thing of.)

The Duet. Compare to everything else it was okay. When it worked. It was flaky. Usable but not consistently. Not as spouse friendly as everything else. The connection animation was quite a familiar sight. Waiting was not unusual. Hard resets common.

I read forums here of similar experiences. Took with a pinch of talk comments about Wi-fi quality. Everything else (laptops, phones, etc.) would work fine in the same place and presumably under greater load. After all, what the duet actually doing.

However, after a recent accidental change (a change in LMS server hardware meant the Duet gave up where everything else barely noticed) it's stopped connecting. After a quick fix it's now like a new device. It's always connected; it's always responsive. It's insensitive to router reboots (previously I'd expect a reset to be necessary).

So far so much TLDR. So the short version: my Duet (ymmv) has been transformed since setting my router's wifi from wpa/wpa2 to be fixed to wpa2 only. There may be other issues; there have been other effects but the Duet is now a source of joy where it wasn't previously.

I'm not criticising Logitech in any way (well, they could make more of these things... - everything else has been consistently great. A Boom or Radio (or now Duet) with the iPlayer plug-in is life-transforming in a good way that makes technology a good thing.

So: Wifi - WPA2 only. Worked for me. Might else someone else.

Andrew.

Also interesting what's the brand of the router or ap you are using ?

Router x with device y can act up so it's of interest to document the whole combination .

There is also a tread on this forum where someone relocated the antenna in the reciever part and made it work better .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Also interesting what's the brand of the router or ap you are using ?
    It's a BT HomeHub (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37). Wireless interface is 802.11 with automatic channel selection. (From monitoring wi-fi via a phone app only my network and my immediate neighbour's is visible - I'm about 20m from the next nearest house.)

I appreciate there might be more to it than my experience but if nothing else it's hopefully hope for those having an experience not quite up there with other SB devices (which I think are more or less unconditionally great).

The Duet (when the hub was set to wpa & wpa2) was the only device to ever have a problem connecting (my own and guest's laptops, phones, tablets, Nintendo DS, etc. never had similar issues).
    Last edited by InvisibleMonkey; 2014-11-06 at 15:47.

Yes Andrew!

So far so good ... which doesn't necessarily mean much with the duet. I love this device WHEN it works but there have been times when I would have cheerfully chucked the remote through the nearest pane of glass just for the gratification. We will see how it goes, but for now I have music on the big Polkaudio system again. Hooray for Saturday night and the web!

How long has your server been successfully running problem free? Does your provider allow static IP addresses on their routers? I don't need an answer if you don't know offhand. Thank you very much for sharing your idea on here.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by pnut91 View Post
    Yes Andrew!

So far so good ... which doesn't necessarily mean much with the duet. I love this device WHEN it works but there have been times when I would have cheerfully chucked the remote through the nearest pane of glass just for the gratification. We will see how it goes, but for now I have music on the big Polkaudio system again. Hooray for Saturday night and the web!

How long has your server been successfully running problem free? Does your provider allow static IP addresses on their routers? I don't need an answer if you don't know offhand. Thank you very much for sharing your idea on here.

Pam
    What kind of ISP are you using I provide my own router with settings to my liking .

It is often possible to bridge routers , so you can bypass the horrible thing delivered by the ISP and use your own stuff .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html