Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11
    Ok, would be happy to replace with Touches but am concerned that I am buying into a discontinued product line and eventually napster and other services will disapear from those as well. Does anyone know what the future is for Squeezebox in terms of support.

    I have two duets connected to my lounge and conservatory surround sound systems and two Booms so to change tech completely would be a reasonable outlay!

    Thanks

    Chris

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,580
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjames View Post
    Does anyone know what the future is for Squeezebox in terms of support.
    I suspect no one knows, and if anyone actually knew any specifics, he wouldn't be allowed to post it here. But given that Logitech hasn't made any hardware SBs in over two years, any official Logitech support is likely to be nonexistent, the only question is when. But the good news is that there is a 3rd party community who can still make LMS and Squeezeboxes work, and even create "hardware" replacements using software (squeezelite, ickstream, etc. etc.).
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,580
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjames View Post
    Ok, would be happy to replace with Touches but am concerned that I am buying into a discontinued product line and eventually napster and other services will disapear from those as well. Does anyone know what the future is for Squeezebox in terms of support.

    I have two duets connected to my lounge and conservatory surround sound systems and two Booms so to change tech completely would be a reasonable outlay!


    Thanks

    Chris
    also, why not just switch from Rhapsody to Spotify or Tidal or Deezer. These will all still work on your players. Low cost change to squeeze out a few more years
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    also, why not just switch from Rhapsody to Spotify or Tidal or Deezer. These will all still work on your players. Low cost change to squeeze out a few more years
    I have tried spotify and bought a subscription but when I try to use it I get an error "Unable to play file" Further reading seems to say that Spotify no longer works with Booms either but if anyone has any better info I would be glad to hear.

    Also would be interested to hear about 3rd party plugins for services such as napster .. am technical myself so would be happy to go down that route to get up and running again .. Really miss my "around the house" music and using napster to pull up pretty much any track and have it everywhere from my phone in a few seconds :-)

    Thanks

    Chris
    Last edited by cpjames; 2015-05-09 at 07:55.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,580
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjames View Post
    I have tried spotify and bought a subscription but when I try to use it I get an error "Unable to play file" Further reading seems to say that Spotify no longer works with Booms either but if anyone has any better info I would be glad to hear.

    Thanks

    Chris
    rather than installing the official logitech spotify app (which only works on TOUCH and RADIO), instead apply the "3rd Party Spotify app by Triode". In LMS > SETTINGS > Plugins, tick the "show all 3rd party plugins", then hit apply, then find the triode spotify app (not under "s" but at top under "3rd". Install this then apply and restart LMS. Then after restarting go to LMS > Settings >Plugins, then settings for this plugin. Enter your spotify credentials there and save. I use this with my booms, Transporter, and other older SB players and it works very well.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •