Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    I implemented my suggestion for RPM packages in a forked copy of slimserver-platforms. I'll work on doing the same for DEB packages. Once I have that working I'll put in a pull request which Michael can merge or reject.

Quote Originally Posted by Grotus View Post
    I implemented my suggestion for RPM packages in a forked copy of slimserver-platforms. I'll work on doing the same for DEB packages. Once I have that working I'll put in a pull request which Michael can merge or reject.
    The original LMS RPM design with having everything, binary and all, bundled into a single noarch binary rpm was still-born! Splitting it into a main and CPAN sub rpm..... where you're still not building anything from source, I don't get it. What does it solve? The whole purpose of my CS rpm layout, (now SC), with the sub-packages, was to facilitate building from source via a src rpm and distributing the platform/arch specific parts in an arch specific RPM rather than bundling everything, binaries and perl script, into a noarch rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by JackOfAll View Post
    The original LMS RPM design with having everything, binary and all, bundled into a single noarch binary rpm was still-born! Splitting it into a main and CPAN sub rpm..... where you're still not building anything from source, I don't get it. What does it solve? The whole purpose of my CS rpm layout, (now SC), with the sub-packages, was to facilitate building from source via a src rpm and distributing the platform/arch specific parts in an arch specific RPM rather than bundling everything, binaries and perl script, into a noarch rpm.
    Baby steps. If you only want it perfect, then nothing will get done. SC will fix the RPM situation, but not the DEB. I know RPM somewhat and DEB hardly at all, so I implemented the first step towards the end goal in RPM and will follow with the equivalent for DEB. That will lower the size of the main nightly package, which was the stated intent. With greater familiarity with building debian packages, maybe we could get the debian packages to a similar state to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Grotus View Post
    With greater familiarity with building debian packages, maybe we could get the debian packages to a similar state to SC.
    Already been done, I think. I got an email earlier this year about converting my spec files to deb. Some sort of script that converts from spec to deb equivalent, plus some hand editing afterwards. Will trawl back though my email at the weekend.

Debian Perl vs daily build

I read the post in Git and get an smile.
    github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/34

Mherger 1 year ago : "Sooner or later this is going to happen. But as this topic has been bugging me for years now, I want to change something in 7.9. We've been adding binaries as needed, resulting in packages of almost 120MB, when 20-25MB should be enough..."

I installed 7.9 on Xubuntu 16.04 last week. Works OK.
    I tried Debian 8 on Qnap 219+ last weekend. Not OK.
    Perl 5.20.2 is giving problems.

Asking friends and reading here that people build the package them self. This is keeping us busy in the future. And I am not able to do this.

I there someone willing to work on this.?
    I might know the way to Debian developers to lighten CPAN and Perl.
    I there someone who can tell What sort of help is needed to make an Deb file that is using the Debian repository.

We found the following perl packages.

bversion-perl libhtml-parser-perl libxml-parser-perl libdbi-perl
    libev-perl libjson-xs-perl libyaml-libyaml-perl libsub-name-perl
    libdigest-sha-perl libanyevent-perl libaudio-scan-perl
    libclass-data-inheritable-perl libclass-inspector-perl
    libdbix-class-perl libfile-bom-perl libfile-next-perl
    liblog-log4perl-perl libproc-background-perl libsql-abstract-perl libtext-unidecode-perl libpath-class-perl libfile-slurp-perl libdbd-sqlite3-perl libcarp-clan-perl liburi-find-perl libdata-dump-perl
    libuuid-tiny-perl libclass-xsaccessor-perl libsql-abstract-limit-perl
    libtemplate-perl libfile-readbackwards-perl libsoap-lite-perl libcarp-assert-perl libclass-virtual-perl libenum-perl Tipbversion-perl libhtml-parser-perl libxml-parser-perl libdbi-perl
    libev-perl libjson-xs-perl libyaml-libyaml-perl libsub-name-perl libdigest-sha-perl libanyevent-perl libaudio-scan-perl
    libclass-data-inheritable-perl libclass-inspector-perl libdbix-class-perl libfile-bom-perl libfile-next-perl liblog-log4perl-perl libproc-background-perl libsql-abstract-perl
    libtext-unidecode-perl libpath-class-perl libfile-slurp-perl
    libdbd-sqlite3-perl libcarp-clan-perl liburi-find-perl libdata-dump-perl
    libuuid-tiny-perl libclass-xsaccessor-perl libsql-abstract-limit-perl
    libtemplate-perl libfile-readbackwards-perl libsoap-lite-perl
    libcarp-assert-perl libclass-virtual-perl libenum-perl

I get the tip to add in front : "apt-get install --no-install-recommend "
    And install the perl packages.

I am really not up-to-speed on the architecture of LMS but I do know as a user that there is ton of functionality I have never used. I can't be the only one... Is there any value in breaking LMS up into multiple components such as core / scanner / web gui / etc. and would this help in terms of dependency management and ease of updates as new CPAN releases wonder over the horizon. Surely the core streaming shouldn't stop working because some over enthused CPAN module owner changes the way an obscure XSLT module works?