Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove wifi card from receiver

New to this forum. I am trying to integrate the receiver board directly into my DIY dual AD1955 DAC, which DAC master clock feed and I2S connection. Since I only use the wired ethernet connection, can I simply remove the wifi subcard from the receiver board? I tried it, but the front LED turns amber color and the receiver is not functional. Any tricks to get it working?

Hi there

Sorry, that is not supported. A missing wireless card on the receiver is regarded a hardware fault hence the purple error code. See also: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ntButtonAndLED

Felix
    Programming is the art of cleverly arranging bits and bytes. - (c) Felix Mueller

Hi,

not quite true - there _is_ a way to get this working: I am not using the wall wart PSU but inject clean 1v2 and 3v3 directly to the board (for wired connection and i2s out after the Xilinx chip). Once you do this (i) the WiFi part is no longer working, (ii) you can disconnect the WiFi board. See the DIY part of this forum, there's detailed information on this.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Bertel View Post
    Hi,

not quite true - there _is_ a way to get this working: I am not using the wall wart PSU but inject clean 1v2 and 3v3 directly to the board (for wired connection and i2s out after the Xilinx chip). Once you do this (i) the WiFi part is no longer working, (ii) you can disconnect the WiFi board. See the DIY part of this forum, there's detailed information on this.

Robert
    Just a guess, but if the power is interrupted for any reason you'll have to reconnect the WiFi board to pass the power up diagnostics again.

Pete,

this is not the case when you have replaced the 9v supply with 1v2 and 3v3 injected directly - upon switching off power and reconnecting, the SBR comes up without any problems even with the wifi board removed.

Best,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Bertel View Post
    Pete,

this is not the case when you have replaced the 9v supply with 1v2 and 3v3 injected directly - upon switching off power and reconnecting, the SBR comes up without any problems even with the wifi board removed.

Best,
    Robert
    Okay...good point. Now, raise hands. How many of us are injecting 1V2 and 3V3 directly? ;-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Pete

Eh, I will be injecting 1.2V & 3.3V clean supplies & removing the WiFi card - Including Hans, that makes 3 of us in this club! Sorry, pete, just couldn't resist either.

Thanks Bertel, have you done other mods?

Mods

Hi J!

Yes, basically the same mods as Hans:

- i2s directly out from the Xilinx chip (currently to Buffalo32S, hopefully soon to ackoDAC :-) )
    - Directly injected 1v2 and 3v3
    - Removed wifi board

Plus:

- Ethernet connection with 2 x 0.5m unshielded TP cable and galvanic isolation module (http://industrialcomponent.com/oem/mi1005.html - I know this is overkill, but just to be safe ;-) ) directly to computer (i.e. no switch/hub/router in between)

Next mod:

- External clock for 11.289MHz directly to Xilinx chip -> Remove 11.289MHz oscillator and 74HC chip, remove 12.288MHz oscillator (don't use internet radio)

Plus 'overkill mods' (again, just to be safe):

- External clocks for 25MHz (Realtek chip) and 10MHz (Ubicom CPU) -> remove also remaining 25MHz and 10MHz oscillators, thus eliminating any noise from oscillators on SBR PCB

- Directly inject 3v3 to Xilinx chip pins, thus eliminating noise from other chips on 3v3 rail

We'll see ;-)

Best,
    Robert

Hi Robert,
    Good to see others going down the same DIY journey with this unit - a club of 3.5 (Pete is the half ). Why don't you post your experience/findings on Pete's I2S thread on DIY?

Currently there's nothing much I could add to Hans' findings, he's in the lead here. When I will achieve significant breakthroughs I'll be pleased to share