Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: LMS 7.9 and DSD

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/US..._SPEED/CM6632A

ask the mfg?

At a complete guess, and if you have a windows OS computer, try foobar2000. You will need to check out what to do, this will/should confirm if it actually plays your DSD.

Warning!! drink has been taken!!
    Thanks for that. I'm in a Linux-only house but have tried a number of dsd files, including some samples, at different rates, from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html.

Have also tried converting dff files (which don't produce sound) to flac files (at various sample rates), which do up to the supported rate. DST to DSD conversion (uncompressing) deson't help either. As the player itself chews through the files and "plays" them (with no sound except something that sounds like bird-chatter) from the dac, I suspect that the problem is with the linux support for the chip. I see that some changes have been made to the snd_usb module since Linux 2.6.22 / 2.6.26, so was wondering if there's any way to rebuild the module with some backported patches and load it on the touch.

On the other hand it may be as simple as me misunderstanding how to make the settings (filetypes and player) work.

BR.

--Marius--

Kernel patching for Touch

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm in a Linux-only house but have tried a number of dsd files, including some samples, at different rates, from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html.

Have also tried converting dff files (which don't produce sound) to flac files (at various sample rates), which do up to the supported rate. DST to DSD conversion (uncompressing) deson't help either. As the player itself chews through the files and "plays" them (with no sound except something that sounds like bird-chatter) from the dac, I suspect that the problem is with the linux support for the chip. I see that some changes have been made to the snd_usb module since Linux 2.6.22 / 2.6.26, so was wondering if there's any way to rebuild the module with some backported patches and load it on the touch.

On the other hand it may be as simple as me misunderstanding how to make the settings (filetypes and player) work.

BR.

--Marius--
    Hi again,

I have contacted the chip manufacturer, so will see what responses are given.

If it turns out that I need to backport more recent version of the snd_usb module on my touch, does anyone know where I can find a kernel config and possible patches for the 2.6.26 kernel that I have installed (I'm currently using Triode's EDO and USB kernels, which does complicate matters as I don't think is config and patches are available). Does anyone here have any experience of compiling kernels for the Touch? If,so, I'd be very glad of any advice.

BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Learnincurve View Post
    Hi again,

I have contacted the chip manufacturer, so will see what responses are given.

If it turns out that I need to backport more recent version of the snd_usb module on my touch, does anyone know where I can find a kernel config and possible patches for the 2.6.26 kernel that I have installed (I'm currently using Triode's EDO and USB kernels, which does complicate matters as I don't think is config and patches are available). Does anyone here have any experience of compiling kernels for the Touch? If,so, I'd be very glad of any advice.

BR.
    To update:

I tried playing one of the test files (a DSD64 DSF file), from my Android phone, using HibyMusic. The file played correctly, over USB, using Native, DoP and PCM modes. Only the very faintest interruption was heard when switching modes on-the-fly.

Since the last post, I have also tried introducing a USB 2.0 hub between the touch and the DAC. This makes no difference.

I have managed to get hold of the 2.6.26 kernel source, including Triodes patches (not sure which ones), so can rebuild the kernel with some tweaks if that might help.

BR.

Hi all
    I have successfully streamed DSD files from my NAS to several DSD capable DACs, so the setup of LMS on my NAS seems to be ok.
    I am now trying to get my Raspberry Pi2 with Hifiberry DAC+ to work with DSD files, hoping to convert them to PCM in LMS on the NAS.

However, for the Raspberry Pi2, I do not get the usual DoP yes / no checkbox in the DSDPlayer configuration box, but a message "This player supports native playback of DSD files. DSD-over-PCM should be configured on the player configuration interface."

Name:  RP2 DSD configuration page.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  88.9 KB

Can anyone give me a hint, how to configure the RP2 / DAC+ / LMS combo to play DSD files (converting them to PCM on the fly).
    Thanks a lot.

P.S. I have tried streaming DSF files to the RP2 and they do stream. But obviously I don't get any sound, as the DAC+ does not natively support DSD
    Last edited by jacobacci; 2016-10-23 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobacci View Post
    Can anyone give me a hint, how to configure the RP2 / DAC+ / LMS combo to play DSD files (converting them to PCM on the fly).
    Try adding the Squeezelite parameter "-e dsd". That tells LMS the player won't accept DSD and will in turn activate transcoding to PCM.

I'm not sure what generation my Pi is (they accumulate like crazy and I can't keep them straight!) but I've found that in my setup it will usually happily transcode to send to another player but doesn't have enough power to transcode while also being the player. The one time I tried to transcode for itself the music kept cutting out.

DSD256/quad and Mytek Brooklyn?

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem and I'm not sure where it is.

I am running the Xubuntu 16.04 LTS repo Squeezelite hooked up to a Mytek Brooklyn. It usually works pretty well, although I occasionally have to restart Squeezelite since I sometimes use the PC for TV/Netflix, etc. and want to use the Brooklyn to listen.

Anyway, normal DSD files (2.8 MHz) play as expected. I recently was gifted (by the licence owner!) a quad rate album. 11 Mhz DSD. Squeezelite says the DAC can't accept it and converts to 384k PCM.

There's not much to report in the log file except that it says the DAC reports it won't support the bit rate:

[16:46:56.311900] dsd_decode:527 setting track_start
    [16:46:56.311900] dsd_decode:533 DOP sample rate too high for device - converting to PCM
    [16:46:56.311906] dsd_decode:543 DSD to PCM output

I tried updating the log settings to DEBUG but didn't get any more information. My config file is pretty basic, no hard coded sample rates. Normally there is no conversion. It plays what i send it.

Is this by any chance a known SL issue, or do you think I need to follow up with Mytek??

Thanks for any advice!

Erik

LMS 7.9 on Synology 216j and DSD

Hi... I need advice on how to play DSD files over LMS 7.9 on Synology 216j. I have tried to install 3rd party plug-in on LMS settings, but could not find one. Any idea how to enable this?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Starboard View Post
    Hi... I need advice on how to play DSD files over LMS 7.9 on Synology 216j. I have tried to install 3rd party plug-in on LMS settings, but could not find one. Any idea how to enable this?
    Thanks!
    AFAIK this is a no-go. You have an ARM-based nas and there is only a package (DSDplayer) available for Intel based nas.

Greetings,

Martin
    -DS718+, RPI 2 (myMPD/Squeezelite),HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Aune S6 - Exposure 3010S2 - PMC FB1i-s
    -LmsUpdate - Updated and Cleaned up Logitech Media Server 7.9.2 for Synology.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post
    AFAIK this is a no-go. You have an ARM-based nas and there is only a package (DSDplayer) available for Intel based nas.
    Do you need DSDplayer if your DAC is DoP-capable? LMS should not care about your music being PCM or DoP.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdot View Post

Greetings,

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Do you need DSDplayer if your DAC is DoP-capable? LMS should not care about your music being PCM or DoP.
    The same plugin both provide transcoding and other abilities to wrap DSD files as DoP I assume it wont install if it cant run completely
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html