Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best android Squeezebox control app?

I'm running LMS 7.8 on a QNAP TS-219II (2Ghz Arm, 1GB ram). On the other end, I am using an SBT and controlling it with the Logitech Squeezebox Android app on an HTC One X (Tegra 3. About 15k on Antutu benchmark). My library is rather large (about 2.5T worth of lossless).

I thought I liked the Android app a bit as it is easier to access certain things than my Squeezbox Duet controller but I have recently discovered some issues.

As soon as I start the app, I can press play and it would immediately start playing whatever it was playing the last time. However, if I am to go into artists, new music, etc., it seems to take a long time (or sometimes even a timeout or two) to go into those categories. Ditto with random mix (say, album mix). However, once I get "in", it would start responding rather immediately to everything (e.g., scrolling, jumping to a letter, or triggering another random mix).

On further investigation, it seems that the behaviour is app dependent, too. The other app I've tried is Squeezer (since it is free). Squeezer seems to use much less time to have the artist list or new music list first show up. Accessing the library with various UPNP controller apps also seems to be more speedy. Maybe it is a matter of the Squeezebox app (I think it may need to cache the whole thing before displaying), but I doubt Logitech will further improve it...

My question is, what is your favorite Squeezebox control Android app? There seems to be a number of them out there. Some of them are paid apps but may or may not have trial versions for testing (although their screencaps seem promising). Comments on speed and usability would be much welcomed.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardoo View Post
    My question is, what is your favorite Squeezebox control Android app? There seems to be a number of them out there. Some of them are paid apps but may or may not have trial versions for testing (although their screencaps seem promising). Comments on speed and usability would be much welcomed.
    I like Orange Squeeze. Also development on this app is still ongoing (updated yesterday actually).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....orangesqueeze
    /Stig
    rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - flickr.com/photos/stignygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.2 (LmsUpdate) - 0023.1559540205 @ Jun 5 2019 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

My favorite right now is Squeeze Control, though I also own Orange Squeeze and like it a lot. They're both great apps with active and responsive developers.

Thanks, guys.

Both Squeeze Control and Orange Squeeze don't have trial versions. Do they respond any quicker than Logitech's own app? What other features do they have over the Logitech one that you find particularly useful?

Thanks.

You do get a very limited time to get a refund on the play store. 15 minutes if I recall correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys.

Both Squeeze Control and Orange Squeeze don't have trial versions. Do they respond any quicker than Logitech's own app? What other features do they have over the Logitech one that you find particularly useful?

Thanks.
    That may actually depend a bit on the server , the information comes from the server to populate the menu .

A menu that always will be bit on the slow side is "music folder" it depends on the OS on the server to traverse actual folders , it not scanned content in a database .

I have no andriod only iOS so i cant recommend , however apps dont cost much just get both of them it's coffe money your time is worth more you would never really know otherwise .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Orange Squeeze works well for me on both my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and Nexus 7 tablet. Well worth the cost of the app. I also use Squeezeplayer on those devices to use them as players. The two apps work well together since Orange Squeeze has direct support for Squeezeplayer within the app. I haven't done a direct comparison with the Logitech provided app but performance has been good with almost immediate response displaying the list as it continues to load and cache entries in the background. And my library is considerably larger than yours although on much more powerful hardware.
    Home: Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS 7.9.0 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic -> NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2
    Portable: FreeNAS 9.3 [HP Microserver Gen8, 10GB RAM, 16GB flash boot, 120GB SSD for LMS 7.9.0 in FreeBSD jail, 5 x 4TB WD Red HD ZFS RAIDZ1] -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic: XLR out -> Soundmaster Diamond 12-2 mixing board -> P.A.

Thanks, guys.
    I haven't tried the official app, so can't comment on that. Don't remember the price of Orange Squeeze or other alternatives, but usually they are so cheap that I don't hesitate to try if I'm recommended to do so ;-)
    /Stig
    rockland.dk - last.fm/user/rockland - discogs.com/user/StigNygaard - flickr.com/photos/stignygaard
    Server: LMS 7.9.2 (LmsUpdate) - 0023.1559540205 @ Jun 5 2019 on Synology DS716+II. Clients: RPi3 (Max2Play, 7" touch, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro), SB Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. Livingroom HiFi: Marantz PM6005 and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.

Try my Art Grabr for fetching big cover-art from various sites - And Album Linkr for a better last.fm desktop browser experience...

Thanks guys. Actually, I am of course not overly concerned about the minimal money required. However, I don't have and generally don't like to tie a credit card to my account unless there is something I really need or want. Maybe I should try it out after all, or perhaps get a play store gift card.

Thanks guys. Actually, I am of course not overly concerned about the minimal money required. However, I don't have and generally don't like to tie a credit card to my account unless there is something I really need or want. Maybe I should try it out after all, or perhaps get a play store gift card.
    If after using Squeeze Control, you decide that you don't like it and really want your money back, send me an email with the order number and I'll refund your purchase.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com