Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PasTim
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PasTim
    Not quite - 7.9.0 - 1399470368 @ Wed May 7 14:26:02 UTC 2014 (as I said in my post).

If fixed after that I'll install the latest and test again in a day or 2.
    I installed version 7.9.0 - 1399649268 @ Sat May 10 04:05:56 UTC 2014 and is it now OK, so I obviously picked up a version just before you fixed this problem.

All working well without me having to muck about manually, and without the tweak plugin. Good stuff
    LMS 8.1 on PC, Xubuntu 20.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. 2 Touches & EDO.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Comment

• Wirrunna
      • Jan 2006

Today I downloaded 7.9.0 - 1399649268 @ Sat May 10 and installed it onto my Win 7 i3-4130 workstation and the recently replaced (by VortexBox) Win 7 AMD E-350 1.6GHz HTPC. The music libraries were synced with the VortexBox, giving me 3 systems of varying power with their own local disks containing the same music library. The two Win boxes have 2 x Samsung 2TB drives, the VortexBox has a 4TB Seagate drive for music. All have SSD drives for the system disk. The Win boxes have had the RAMDisk removed.

I ran clear and rescans on each system and then a bunch of lookups - New Music, search artist for "the girl", album browse and artist browse.

The AMD E-350 system performs so well I need not have gone and replaced it by the VortexBoxes. New Music is almost instant, browse by Artists can take a second or two after selecting a letter and the artist picture is a bit slow but not unacceptable. Browse by Albums takes 2 to 3 seconds per change of letter for the albums to appear, but again, not unacceptable.
      The i3 powered workstation is a bit quicker but not twice as fast.
      The VortexBox running 7.8 with the Tweak DB plugin installed and set to 500 is the fastest.

Clear & rescan times show the great improvements that have been made with LMS 7.9
      The differences between systems were as expected with the exception of MusicIP Import and Artist Picture lookup - the Artist Picture lookup shows there is something seriously wrong with either my setup or the way this function works in Windows.
      Attached Files
      A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
      Three things I hate in life :
      1. Vandalism
      2. Irony
      3. Lists

Comment

• Wirrunna
        • Jan 2006

Gross speedup of Artist Picture Lookup in Windows

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1399649268 @ Sat May 10 03:05:32 CUT 2014
        Hostname: Daisy

Artist picture lookup (3135 of 3135) Complete 01:58:39

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1399988233 @ Tue May 13 14:08:10 CUT 2014
        Hostname: Daisy

Artist picture lookup (3136 of 3136) Complete 00:30:29

Took a quarter of the previous time - well done Michael. Will test further.

1. Vandalism
        2. Irony
        3. Lists

Comment

• mherger
          Babelfish's Best Boy
          • Apr 2005

Plugin to test database tweaks

> Artist picture lookup (3136 of 3136) Complete 00:30:29
          >
          > Took a quarter of the previous time - well done Michael. Will test
          > further.

Are you sure it's not due to the fact that the first time it had to
          download stuff from the internet, while the second time around it was
          able to pick up stuff from the cache? I wouldn't know what particular
          change would have made such a dramatic difference...

--

Michael
          Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
          (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• Wirrunna
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mherger
            >
            Are you sure it's not due to the fact that the first time it had to
            download stuff from the internet, while the second time around it was
            able to pick up stuff from the cache? I wouldn't know what particular
            change would have made such a dramatic difference...
            Michael
            The second scan was from a New and Changed, so after seeing your post I power cycled Daisy and started a Clear & Rescan -
            Artist picture lookup (3136 of 3136) Complete 00:49:50
            Still a hell of an improvement.

I save the artist pictures to a directory and do not ever fiddle with or delete them.

I was hoping that " Speed up web requests for artwork, stylesheets etc. by not passing it to the templating engine." which was committed on 10/5 might have had something to do with the speed up.

Take the credit Michael and hope that it sticks around !

1. Vandalism
            2. Irony
            3. Lists

Comment

• PasTim
              • Nov 2010

Just to let you know, using the "7.9.0 - 1399649268 @ Sat May 10 04:05:56 UTC 2014" update, without the tweak plugin, I have recently found that a couple of my custom scan menus are still slow (several tens of seconds) and busy enough to interrupt playing music the 1st time they are run after a restart, unless I do a full vacuum on persist.db after a rescan. It isn't too onerous to do this just once after each rescan, so it's not a problem for me.
              LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
              Wireless Xubuntu 20.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android mobile with Squeeze-Ctrl/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Comment

• mherger
                Babelfish's Best Boy
                • Apr 2005

> Just to let you know, using the "7.9.0 - 1399649268 @ Sat May 10
                > 04:05:56 UTC 2014" update, without the tweak plugin, I have recently
                > found that a couple of my custom scan menus are still slow (several tens
                > of seconds) and busy enough to interrupt playing music the 1st time they
                > are run after a restart, unless I do a full vacuum on persist.db after
                > a rescan. It isn't too onerous to do this just once after each rescan,
                > so it's not a problem for me.

That's quite surprising, as vacuum now is part of the optimize step at
                the end of every scan.

--

Michael
                Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"

Comment

• JJZolx
                  • Apr 2005

(sorry, wrong thread)
                  Last edited by JJZolx; 2014-05-14, 12:18.

Comment

• PasTim
                    • Nov 2010

> Just to let you know, using the "7.9.0 - 1399649268 @ Sat May 10
                    > 04:05:56 UTC 2014" update, without the tweak plugin, I have recently
                    > found that a couple of my custom scan menus are still slow (several tens
                    > of seconds) and busy enough to interrupt playing music the 1st time they
                    > are run after a restart, unless I do a full vacuum on persist.db after
                    > a rescan. It isn't too onerous to do this just once after each rescan,
                    > so it's not a problem for me.

That's quite surprising, as vacuum now is part of the optimize step at
                    the end of every scan.

Michael
                    But presumably not at the end of a Custom Scan?

When I vacuum, I stop LMS before running the vacuum using a sqlite3 command. I don't know if this makes any difference.

Comment

• JJZolx
                      • Apr 2005

Now that the SQLite memory setting has been moved into Settings > Advanced > Performance, I see the following popup warning when changing the setting:

"Changes will take place at the next application restart for the following plugins:"

and nothing listed.

Is this message necessary, or is the memory setting made on the fly? If it is necessary, then shouldn't it be the same message shown when plugins are enabled/disabled? "Please restart Logitech Media Server for the changes to take effect."

Comment

• mherger
                        Babelfish's Best Boy
                        • Apr 2005

> Now that the SQLite memory setting has been moved into Settings >
                        > Advanced > Performance, I see the following popup warning when changing
                        > the setting:
                        >
                        > "Changes will take place at the next application restart for the
                        > following plugins:"

Sounds like the wrong text to me anyway :-). I think that message is
                        wrong or at least not crucial in most cases. Changing that parameter
                        required a restart with MySQL. With SQLite not all changes will be made
                        unless you restart, but the most important (buffer size) will be applied
                        anyway. I'll review that. Thanks!

--

Michael
                        Michael

Comment

• stevedresden
                          • Jan 2010

What happened to this plugin? It's now commented out in the test.xml file. Does it no longer work with 7.9?

Comment

• mherger
                            Babelfish's Best Boy
                            • Apr 2005

> What happened to this plugin? It's now commented out in the test.xml
                            > file. Does it no longer work with 7.9?

The insights we gathered using it are now built in to 7.9. What exactly
                            are you looking for?

--

Michael
                            Michael

Comment

• mamema
                              • Mar 2011

> What happened to this plugin? It's now commented out in the test.xml
                              > file. Does it no longer work with 7.9?

The insights we gathered using it are now built in to 7.9. What exactly
                              are you looking for?

--

Michael
                              sorry, for digging out this old thred, but i have extreme problems with sql queries from custom browse menues. I have 80.000 tracks and some menues are stuck for 5 (!) minutes and the music stops.

As i have enough power (4 core, 2.1 Ghz, 32 GB RAM) i would ask for tweaks to speed up the sql queries.

Comment

• erland
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mamema
                                sorry, for digging out this old thred, but i have extreme problems with sql queries from custom browse menues. I have 80.000 tracks and some menues are stuck for 5 (!) minutes and the music stops.

As i have enough power (4 core, 2.1 Ghz, 32 GB RAM) i would ask for tweaks to speed up the sql queries.
                                Would you be willing to install Database Query plugin and run the “Custom Scan Statistics” query to give us a better understanding of your Custom Scan data.
                                It would also help to get more information about which SQL statements or Custom Browse menu levels that are extremely slow.

I suspect the issue is that Custom Scan/Browse isn’t optimized for really large libraries but it’s hard to say for sure without more information regarding your setup.
                                Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                                Developer of many plugins/applets
                                Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

Working...