Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Upgrading to LMS7.8 on my TS-119 : Success!

Hi all,
    Thought I'd share this with everyone.
    Most of what's going on in these Forums are just about problems.....
    Now this is a small, but for me - important success story.

I have been running 7.7.2 for a long time - without any real problems - on my QNAP TS-119.
    So I decided it was time to try out the much toutet 7.8

I always make sure my mediaserver is upgraded to the latest firmware prior to anything else. So I did that first.
    The I stopped LMS from running, and completely uninstalled it. (Don't do that!) I always do that too, cause there is no way of telling what is left over when upgrading over an older version. However, that turned out to be my mistake - in this exercise.
    SSOTS disappeared when uninstalling LMS and I was left with nothing.
    I was able to locate a working SSOTS QPKG and reinstall it, but none of the tarballs for 7.8 would run successfully. They all complained about missing CPAN libraries.

Then I cleaned everything out again, found a 7.7.2 QPKG and reinstalled that as well as the SSOTS and then restarted my server.

This successfully autolaunched both LMS and SSOTS.
    Then I stopped LMS and, using SSOTS, manually upgraded to 7.8

And mysteriously - it now did not complain about missing CPAN libraries, but launched silently without errors.

So, that's a long story made short.
    I have not been able to find anywhere on the net, complete QPKG packages for any version of LMS beyond 7.7.2
    Loading tarballs just doesn't work anymore like it used to, and not everyones are linux geeks.

The one thing I had to do though, is to rename the 7.8 tarball file from logitechmediaserver to squeezeboxserver in order to have SSOTS recognize it. Beats me why.

Have a great day, all :-)

Viking

Upgrading to LMS7.9 on my TS-119 : Success!

Quote Originally Posted by oyvindo View Post
    Hi all,
    Thought I'd share this with everyone.
    Most of what's going on in these Forums are just about problems.....
    Now this is a small, but for me - important success story.

I have been running 7.7.2 for a long time - without any real problems - on my QNAP TS-119.
    So I decided it was time to try out the much toutet 7.8

I always make sure my mediaserver is upgraded to the latest firmware prior to anything else. So I did that first.
    The I stopped LMS from running, and completely uninstalled it. (Don't do that!) I always do that too, cause there is no way of telling what is left over when upgrading over an older version. However, that turned out to be my mistake - in this exercise.
    SSOTS disappeared when uninstalling LMS and I was left with nothing.
    I was able to locate a working SSOTS QPKG and reinstall it, but none of the tarballs for 7.8 would run successfully. They all complained about missing CPAN libraries.

Then I cleaned everything out again, found a 7.7.2 QPKG and reinstalled that as well as the SSOTS and then restarted my server.

This successfully autolaunched both LMS and SSOTS.
    Then I stopped LMS and, using SSOTS, manually upgraded to 7.8

And mysteriously - it now did not complain about missing CPAN libraries, but launched silently without errors.

So, that's a long story made short.
    I have not been able to find anywhere on the net, complete QPKG packages for any version of LMS beyond 7.7.2
    Loading tarballs just doesn't work anymore like it used to, and not everyones are linux geeks.

The one thing I had to do though, is to rename the 7.8 tarball file from logitechmediaserver to squeezeboxserver in order to have SSOTS recognize it. Beats me why.

Have a great day, all :-)

Viking
    After I did the above, I've been running LMS7.8 for a couple of years with good result. But now I found the time was here to move on.
    As usual - going to 7.9 isn't trivial either (unless you are an expert Linux geek). I found several hints in this forum, but most people make assumptions about knowledge and prerequisites that may not hold true for everyone.
    Anyway, If you have followed the above path like I did, you should have LMS7.8 and SSOTS 4.14 with the 7.7.2 Mod installed and running on your QNAP QTS.

(Just for the record, because I hate abbriviations; LMS = Logitec Media Server, SSOTS= FlipFlop's SqueezeboxServerOnTurboStation which you need to install LMS after Logitech abandoned it and no further QPKG packages were released. (QPKG= Qnap PacKaGes, the format QNAP uses to release Apps in single installable package), QTS is the name QNAP use for their version of the Linux Operating system. My system currently runs 4.2.0 build 20160119)

If you follow the instructions given in SSOTS (which you run in your browser from http://<yourNAS_IP>:9099/ssots/), you'll find that it just doesn't work. You need to do things in this order:

1. Goto to the status page of SSOTS and clean both the scanner log and the server log (you find the clean command when you open the log)
    2. Stop LMS
    3. Download LMS v7.9 from link above. (Make sure you choose the right file for your NAS)
    4. Rename the file extension to "tgz"
    5. Copy the file to the /public directory of your NAS (You should not have to do this as SSOTS is designed to be able to do it for you, but on my system this does not work and I have to do it manually) Of course you know that in order to be able to do this manually, you need to log in to the NAS command console using putty client or similar. My favorite is WinSCP, and locate the /public directory which is usually tucked away deep down somewhere.
    6. Using WinSCP (or your favorite putty) search for a file named "routines.sh". This file is a part of the SSOTS library and not LMS.
    7. When you find the file, make a backupcopy of it just in case you screw up.
    8. Open the "routines.sh" file in a text editor of your choice and make the modifications explained here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...eleased/page88. (All that is needed is to add the number '9' (without quotes) to the compatibility list)
    9. Then choose "upgrade" in SSOTS (whatever you do, don't uninstall v7.8!!! If you do, you'll have go back 5 years and start all over again)
    7. From the upgrade page in SSOTS you should now see the tar ball file named 7.9. Click on the filename and SSOT should unzip it and install it successfully
    (If SSOTS complains about something, your system is either different than mine, or you did something wrong.)
    9. Start LMS 7.9 from SSOTS status page.

Viola - you should be up and running. Keep in mind that LMS 7.9 will immediately begin a full DB rescan which can take some time. On my system with 9000 albums, this takes about 6-7 hours.

Good Luck, and many thanks to all the fine members of this forum, the people that still maintains LMS (which IMHO is superior to Sonos), and to Flip-Flop for his original work on SSOTS.

You missed a few bits...

Probably the most important one is replacing the SSOTS bash binary for the patched version that fixes the shellshock vulnerabilities, see post #43 on this page:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...by-SSOxS/page5

Also well worth installing Michael Herger's excellent Smartmix plugin before scanning your library.

And If you are in a location that allows BBC iPlayer then BPA's and Triodes updated plugins for the high quality streams, Check the Stickies at the top of this page:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumd...Party-Software

You also need to change a library path to get 3rd party plugin updates working, edit shipped-binaries as per post #66 on this link:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post803130

Cheers

Kev

PS your reference to flip-flop made me chuckle, I'm sure Philippe got use to that mistake, but his forum name is flipflip