Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stream from android tablet?

Is it possible to stream music from my android tablet to my SB3s over wifi? Preferably without too much latency. E.g. for spotify (non premium), video soundtrack etc..

No, and latency would be an issue.

Oh! So I guess I have to get a bluetooth audio receiver but I don't get the feeling that the sound quality is much good with those, and the range is pretty rubbish too. And latency will presumably be significant too, although I am less worried about that. Shame!

Latency with Bluetooth is not thaaaat much of an issue. Usually around 50ms.
    Quality is crap, though.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by rbl View Post
    Is it possible to stream music from my android tablet to my SB3s over wifi? Preferably without too much latency. E.g. for spotify (non premium), video soundtrack etc..
    I don't think LMS runs on Android.

I have a Win8 tablet (Surface 2 Pro), have installed LMS and used it to stream to a Boom while on vacation. Only problems is that I needed a router, which fortunately the hotel I was staying at had. In the past I've used a netbook running Win7 connected to the Boom directly through an ad hoc network, rendering a router unnecessary, but it seems ad hoc networks aren't supported in Win 8.1.

Very nice, sitting on the deck, looking at the beach and the surf, listening to music.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Latency with Bluetooth is not thaaaat much of an issue. Usually around 50ms.
    Quality is crap, though.
    50ms latency is fine. But why is the quality rubbish taking to account that Bluetooth allows 100Mb/s or something. ? Or is it just a case of getting the right receiver? Have to say reviews on amazon are very mixed!

50ms latency is fine. But why is the quality rubbish taking to account that Bluetooth allows 100Mb/s or something. ? Or is it just a case of getting the right receiver? Have to say reviews on amazon are very mixed!
    The problem is the codec. Bluetooth audio doesn't just use a regular network connection, it's a special profile that re-encodes the audio with it's own lossy codec.
    In theory, devices can decide what codec to use and there are good ones as well but in practice all just use the crappy default one because to do otherwise both the sender and the receiver would have to support the same one. Most tablets and phones only support that one, too.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

The problem is the codec. Bluetooth audio doesn't just use a regular network connection, it's a special profile that re-encodes the audio with it's own lossy codec.
    In theory, devices can decide what codec to use and there are good ones as well but in practice all just use the crappy default one because to do otherwise both the sender and the receiver would have to support the same one. Most tablets and phones only support that one, too.
    Ah - that makes sense. Is there any another way of getting sound from my android tablet to my HiFi, either directly to the amp or via the SB3?

Ah - that makes sense. Is there any another way of getting sound from my android tablet to my HiFi, either directly to the amp or via the SB3?
    An alternative would be to use Airplay Get an airplay app for android and then use Shairplay plugin on LMS but airplay compatible plugin for LMS seem to be a bit fiddly and you may need to build the support binaries for your LMS platform.

There is a codec named aptX that is used by some android phones and tablets and there is at least one receiver from Philips (AEA2500/12) available. It SHOULD deliver better audio quality than the default sub-band coding (SBC). I have no experience with it but maybe someone else out here can answer you questions about that. You can get some informations here:
    http://www.aptx.com/