Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Plugin to power off VFDs?

I seem to recall seeing mention of a plugin that powers off the VFDs on ip3k devices to extend their lives since they are no longer replaceable. I can't for the life of me find it though. Anyone know if this plugin exists or if I must have been smokin' something when I thought I saw it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2eleven View Post
    I seem to recall seeing mention of a plugin that powers off the VFDs on ip3k devices to extend their lives since they are no longer replaceable. I can't for the life of me find it though. Anyone know if this plugin exists or if I must have been smokin' something when I thought I saw it?
    That would be optimistic as the server has no control over the power to the VFDs - the only thing is the brightness control. On transporter I seem to remember that brightness of 0 may disable more but I don't believe it powers down the VFD.

There is a plugin that works with all the SBs with VFDs, not only the Transporter. I think it's called AutoDim. If so, it's possible that it no longer works with current server software (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...orking-w-7-01/).

Alternatively you could use Server Power Control to put your devices-with-VFDs in off/standby, and set the VFDs to zero brightness when off/standby.

But in either case it is probably as triode says, that is, it most likely sets the brightness to zero, rather than actually cutting power to the VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    There is a plugin that works with all the SBs with VFDs, not only the Transporter. I think it's called AutoDim. If so, it's possible that it no longer works with current server software (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...orking-w-7-01/).

Alternatively you could use Server Power Control to put your devices-with-VFDs in off/standby, and set the VFDs to zero brightness when off/standby.

But in either case it is probably as triode says, that is, it most likely sets the brightness to zero, rather than actually cutting power to the VFD.
    I use the plugin "blank saver" to blank out my transporter and boom VFDs when they are off/paused.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I use the plugin "blank saver" to blank out my transporter and boom VFDs when they are off/paused.
    Does that do more than, for example, setting the brightness to 0 for idle and power off in the player settings? I do the latter, but at night I can see glow from the sides of the VFDs so I know they are still powered on. I was hoping to be able to power them off, though Triode has indicated that doing so through a plugin may be impossible. Anyone know if there's truth to what Triode mentioned about brightness 0 maybe being different on the Transporter?

Quote Originally Posted by 2eleven View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

Does that do more than, for example, setting the brightness to 0 for idle and power off in the player settings? I do the latter, but at night I can see glow from the sides of the VFDs so I know they are still powered on. I was hoping to be able to power them off, though Triode has indicated that doing so through a plugin may be impossible. Anyone know if there's truth to what Triode mentioned about brightness 0 maybe being different on the Transporter?
    not really sure.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify