Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MOG was the last straw: Moving to the dark side (Sonos)

I have been a loyal Squeezebox owner for years. I have owned a Classic v3 (burned out in the sun), a Duet, a Touch and two Radios. My main use of the system is to stream from a premium music service. I tried Spotify, but it doesn't work with my Duet (I tried the mod). I switched to Rhapsody, but my Touch had problems. I thought I found my service with MOG, but now we have Beats and no Squeezebox support. I have Amazon Cloud, but that has never been supported. So frustrating!

I purchased my first Sonos on Ebay (an older ZP80 and a Bridge) I am not blown away but it works simply and elegantly. I will probably add a Connect next, and eventually a couple of Play systems. I love my Squeezeboxes, but I love my music more.

Quote Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
    I have been a loyal Squeezebox owner for years. I have owned a Classic v3 (burned out in the sun), a Duet, a Touch and two Radios. My main use of the system is to stream from a premium music service. I tried Spotify, but it doesn't work with my Duet (I tried the mod). I switched to Rhapsody, but my Touch had problems. I thought I found my service with MOG, but now we have Beats and no Squeezebox support. I have Amazon Cloud, but that has never been supported. So frustrating!

I purchased my first Sonos on Ebay (an older ZP80 and a Bridge) I am not blown away but it works simply and elegantly. I will probably add a Connect next, and eventually a couple of Play systems. I love my Squeezeboxes, but I love my music more.
    Glad you found that Sonos better meets your needs. Now that your Touch is worthless to you, send it to me.

I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform.

Quote Originally Posted by TimT View Post
    Glad you found that Sonos better meets your needs. Now that your Touch is worthless to you, send it to me.
    I have the Touch and ZP80 separately connected to my main system. (A-B tests show no difference that I can hear) Once I get more Sonos parts, I will be selling my Squeezeboxes. The Touch holds up well on Ebay so far.

I'm curious if Ickstream will eventually allow folks who use streaming services to continue using their SBs, regardless of the rapid-fire changes in the industry. I'm more tied to my local music collection, so this has never been the hot button for me, although I've almost pulled the trigger on Spotify a few times. The possibilities of integrating my local music and Spotify through the Smart Mix app is what has me seriously considering subscribing.

Sorry if I went on a bit of a tangent there.
    Iĺm down to one SB Touch. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Yosemite). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.9.0. Erlandĺs plug ins are what keep me in the ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Viventis View Post
    I tried Spotify, but it doesn't work with my Duet (I tried the mod).
    What "mod"? There's no mod required to run Spotify on a Duet Receiver. Just the right plugin.
    Likewise, other than the problems of the past couple weeks, Rhapsody works fine on a Touch.

"I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform."

Really? I've been using it this way for over five years, listening to Last.fm, Slacker and Pandora as well as some online stations. Should I sell all my Squeezebox gear and start saving up for Sonos?

Quote Originally Posted by kc5f View Post
    "I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform."

Really? I've been using it this way for over five years, listening to Last.fm, Slacker and Pandora as well as some online stations. Should I sell all my Squeezebox gear and start saving up for Sonos?
    Well, yes, because when logitech pulls the plug on mysqueezebox.com (which is servicing players that have been discontinued for more than a year), you won't be able to use Pandora (and probably not last.fm or slacker either) unless those services are setup in a way to allow a 3rd party plugin to be deployed for LMS use (i.e., like Triode's Spotify plugin). I'm hopeful that something like ickStream will create a bridge between premium streaming services and LMS/Squeezeboxes.

p.s. For me, Sonos doesn't work (easily) for my very large local library among other things. But I've been considering a sonos player as a backup to provide SiriusXM streams (my wife is addicted to all the extra NPR shows available there). It will be like the old days. I'll have to switch "source" on my preamp to move from my Squeezeboxes to a SONOS player, just like I used to switch between RADIO and CD Player.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform.
    Don't know about spotify as premium is still not available where I live, but qobuz plug-in works great, flac or mp3, your choice.
    George

Touch->Denon AVRS530BT ->Triangle Celius
    Synology->Duet->Denon AVRS530BT->Paradigm Monitor 7
    2 Duets, 1 SB3, 1 Touch, Transporter, Chromecasts
    Zenphone -> NAD Viso, Sony WH1000XM3
    2 servers -> Ubuntu Linux, NUC and Synology 1 Bay

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    What "mod"? There's no mod required to run Spotify on a Duet Receiver. Just the right plugin.
    Likewise, other than the problems of the past couple weeks, Rhapsody works fine on a Touch.
    I meant the Triode Plugin. I still had problems with the Duet and Spotify. One song would play, the next would hang the system.