Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FYI: Latest Version of Avast Kills Squeezeplay

Hi All

Running a Vortexbox (hardware)-based LMS setup, with Touch, Boom and Squeezeplay (v7.8.0 r0) on all my home-network W7 PCs and Laptops. For a long time now, I have used Avast Free as my AV solution. Just updated it to v2014.9.0.2011 and Squeezeplay now fails! When started, instead of connecting to LMS and showing the Squeezeplay legend in the top bar, it just shows "Home". Selecting MyMusic then shows the connecting screen until it times out (although the Touch and Boom still function quite happily, thus showing that the server is up and working).

After a bit of research, it appears that Avast have re-written their WebShield active protection for this release and there are a lot of complaints on their forums about it killing all sorts of things which used to work quite happily in previous versions - we can now add Squeezeplay to this list Happily, there is a workaround (other than permanently switching off their Webshield) viz. Before starting SP, switch off Web Shield and then start SP which [of course] now connects correctly. Then switch Webshield back on and use SP, as normal. For some reason, the Webshield only affects server connection on SP start-up. Once SP is up, running and connected, the Webshield doesn't appear to affect playing of tracks or selection/addition of further tracks to the active playlist or even cleardown of the active playlist and creation of a new one.....weird or what?

Avast have issued a patch which appears to solve some of the problems but, unfortunately, not the SP one. I will pursue this on the Avast forum but, in the meantime, if anyone else uses Avast, has recently upgraded and is now having problems with SP,try the Webshield workaround and see what happens

Oops, sorry...this should probably be in General. Can mods move it, please?
    Last edited by enz01; 2014-01-03 at 06:31.

Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly the 'workaround' doesn't work for me.
    LMS server: O2 Joggler with Jivelite, Pi Zero W with PcP 6.0

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly the 'workaround' doesn't work for me.
    ??Strange! Does, SP work if Avast is totally deactivated? On my set-up, the problem is defo the Webshield but if I temporarily deactivate all shields via right-click on the Avast tray icon, that works, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by enz01 View Post
    ??Strange! Does, SP work if Avast is totally deactivated? On my set-up, the problem is defo the Webshield but if I temporarily deactivate all shields via right-click on the Avast tray icon, that works, as well.
    No .... no luck with all shields off.

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Chromecast Audio, Home Mini & Nest Hub, Amazon Echo 2,3 and Show5, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler, Fiio M6, Avantree Priva BT transmitter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the heads up. The workaround works fine for me with win7 x64 fully updated. SP did fail initially, shut down SP, turned off WebShield, started SP and it connected just fine to my WHS server, turned WebShield back on and tested. SP works fine with WebShield enabled, it only fails on startup with WebShield enabled for me.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Got it working with workaround now.

Hope Avast fix this.

Paid Version

The same problem occurs with the premium version.

However, the workaround worked well. Thanks.
    http://zzzone.net
    http://have-a-nice-day.org
    http://www.last.fm/user/zzzoneDOTnet
    http://somethingsomethingsomething.net

SBS 7.9 - i7 nuc - Win 10 64bit
    5 Booms, 2 Radio, 3 Touch, 1 Duet, 5 piCorePlayers including 3 touchscreen, 1 Avy
    2 controllers, various tablets/phones
    Apps including iPeng, Squeeze Ctrl etc.
    Library: 250,000+ FLAC/MP3 files - 16 TB HD

Just to let people know, the problem has been reported to Avast (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=144058.0) who have been able to reproduce it, and have said that they will fix it

They reckon there is an alternative workaround to the one which I outlined (see thread) but I couldn't get it to work and it knackered my Avast set-up. Personally, I'll stick with the above workaround until they [hopefully] fix the underlying problem

Just a quick update. I have now had a chance to test the alternative Avast workaround and it does seem to work. The workaround is:

1.Boot PC to safe mode
    2.Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory, find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
    UseStreamFilter=0

3. Save changes and reboot normally

SP should now connect to LMS OK without having to temporarily disable the webshield component. Be careful when you do this since Avast can get a bit antsy about changes to its data files. Make sure you're in safe mode and you only change webshield.ini, as described above.If you don't know what safe mode is, you should probably stick to the previous workaround

Avast still reckon they're going to fix this so stay tuned - in the meantime, we can enjoy SP as we all used to!

Quote Originally Posted by enz01 View Post
    Just a quick update. I have now had a chance to test the alternative Avast workaround and it does seem to work. The workaround is:

1.Boot PC to safe mode
    2.Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory, find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
    UseStreamFilter=0

3. Save changes and reboot normally

SP should now connect to LMS OK without having to temporarily disable the webshield component. Be careful when you do this since Avast can get a bit antsy about changes to its data files. Make sure you're in safe mode and you only change webshield.ini, as described above.If you don't know what safe mode is, you should probably stick to the previous workaround

Avast still reckon they're going to fix this so stay tuned - in the meantime, we can enjoy SP as we all used to!

I have tried neither of these - I cameon the forums to search for another issue. But I have been having this issue - so thanks! I had been working around by starting the SP, and then using the web interface to control it!

I hope you have a better solution....I'm going to reboot my desktop now.....

================================================== ==

Sorted - the webshield.ini fix worked a treat. much appreciated.
    Last edited by wl1; 2014-01-20 at 11:56.