Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Is there a way to turn off the optical output?

I have my Touch connected to an Audioengine D1 DAC that also connects to my Mac via USB; the DAC outputs to my powered speakers.

The problem is that the DAC gives automatic priority to the optical input, and as long as the Touch has power (even in the off mode) that output is active, so I cannot play computer audio.

Right now my options are to disconnect that Touch from the DAC and run a minijack cable direct to the speakers, or else to disconnect the Mac from the DAC and connect IT to the speakers using a minijack cable.

The ideal solution for me would be to have the optical output from the Touch turn off when it is powered down, thus ceding priority in the DAC to the USB input from the Mac. But I can't find a setting that does this.

Is it possible?

Just a thought but what's the behaviour of the Macs optical out port (usually macs tend to have a combined 3.5mm jack that does headphones and optical)

You could then use the EDO app and USB for the touch.

Another idea might be one of those cheap mechanical optical switches to turn off the Touch output.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobvfr400 View Post
    Just a thought but what's the behaviour of the Macs optical out port (usually macs tend to have a combined 3.5mm jack that does headphones and optical)

You could then use the EDO app and USB for the touch.

Another idea might be one of those cheap mechanical optical switches to turn off the Touch output.

If I did that, I would have the same issue in reverse (assuming that Mac's digital output is always on as well). But the idea of an optical switch is something I will investigate...thanks for that tip.

I thought it might be easier to turn off on the Mac. There might even be some sort of applet to quickly switch you could stick on the desktop.

almost 7 years later!

...and I have the same issue. Have a amplifier with digital inputs that goes to standby when there's no active input - but the Touch keeps outputting the optical even when it's "off". Will keep looking.

cheers from coronaland,
    Tal

^ Just FYI I have a Touch connected optically to a NAD D 3020 and it does not exhibit this problem.

Guessing the NAD is actually sensing if there's an audio bitstream, and not dumbly if there's an active optical connection. I'm using a Griffin Twenty - not a high-buck device.

cheers,
    Tal

ps: if you pull out the optical cable while the Touch is "off" you'll see the red light coming from it. Unfortunate engineering misfire on the part of the Squeezebox team, but they've done everything else really well so hard to fault them...

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    ^ Just FYI I have a Touch connected optically to a NAD D 3020 and it does not exhibit this problem.