Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transporter or Touch?

I have a 3 Squeeze boxes (two v3 and one original), but have thought about adding a "higher end" player to my home theater room. I've always wanted the Transporter, but the Touch looks like a great player as well. Is there any advantages of one over the other?

On another note, is there a chance another company might pick up the Squeezebox players and continue to sell them? I hate that Logitech pulled the plug on these wonderful players.

Thanks everbody.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
    I have a 3 Squeeze boxes (two v3 and one original), but have thought about adding a "higher end" player to my home theater room. I've always wanted the Transporter, but the Touch looks like a great player as well. Is there any advantages of one over the other?

On another note, is there a chance another company might pick up the Squeezebox players and continue to sell them? I hate that Logitech pulled the plug on these wonderful players.

Thanks everbody.
    I have both. I love the transporter and it is the SB player in my main system. But it is old technology at this point. If/When it dies, I'll replace it with one of my spare TOUCH players and a new DAC. I suspect you'd be better off pairing the TOUCH with a quality DAC of your choice. I use a TOUCH with a Benchmark DAC I (S/PDIF input) in one location and it is quite nice sounding.

Regarding comparison: Both can do 24/96 natively. Both support optical, S/PDIF or analog. Touch can do 24/192 with Triode's EDO plugin. Touch can handle some formats natively that the Transporter requires LMS to transcode.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

It's just my opinion but previously I always wanted a transporter but in all honesty I'd go for a Touch in preference to the transporter. Mainly for the reasons given above and also for possible future upgrades with a DAC and the EDO plugin.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a brand new SB Touch at a tidy profit for the seller. It will arrive shortly. I did consider a used Transporter. I think the Transporter has the higher cool factor, but the Touch will do nicely and should sound excellent in my system. I already have a SB or six, so the Touch lets me acquire a bit more extinct SB hardware and improve the sound in my main system, which currently sports a SB3. I started in 2003 with a SliMP3 in that same location.

Thanks everbody.
    If you can get your fingers in a Transporter then do that. It is build rock solid with high quality components. The Touch is "toy" electronics compared to the Transporter.
    The DAC in the Transporter sounds awesome. It is not the newest anymore and there is a lot of DAC's on the market now. Most of them may sound different, but do the sound BETTER.... ?
    You shall have a very fine setup before your Transporter will be "The weak link". And to me it still looks awesome
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Transporter - Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, Guestroom: Touch - Bencmark DAC1, JBL LSR305 active speakers , TIDAL HIFI flac streaming.
    http://www.last.fm/user/callesoroe

Yeah the transporter is high quality , the only thing that would worry me a bit in an old used unit is the VFD displays ( 2 of them ) .
    But if the price is rigth...

A Toy quality thing like Touch can last a while too just wondering a bit about it's display quality .

In any case , a hint I many others are using the displays on any squeezebox as little as possible to preserve lifetime .

DAC quality , it basically flat-lined a decade ago imo

I donĺt buy that high end press hype that you get revolutionary quality improvement every 2 months for a couple of k$ more .
    (another topic is high end dac's that sound radically different than either a tp or a touch ,but thats not hifi )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    In any case , a hint I many others are using the displays on any squeezebox as little as possible to preserve lifetime .
    Yes, I use the BLANKSAVER plugin so that my Transporter displays are OFF when I'm not playing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    DAC quality , it basically flat-lined a decade ago imo
    Agree and one can now spend much LESS money to get good quality DACs.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I like both, but I'm really sold on the cool factor of the Transporter. That's where I'm leaning. The Touch is cheaper (a plus), but not by much compared to it's price before Logitech stopped producing them. Can someone explain a little more about the EDO plugin on the Touch? What does that do? I'm not exactly PC savvy, so overlook my ignorance please.

The biggest thing I worry about with another SB and the ones I have is if/when one of them dies. If I knew of someone or someplace that could repair them, like with the VDF display as mentioned, then I would feel a lot better about buying another one.

I really like the looks of that Transporter.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I like both, but I'm really sold on the cool factor of the Transporter. That's where I'm leaning. The Touch is cheaper (a plus), but not by much compared to it's price before Logitech stopped producing them. Can someone explain a little more about the EDO plugin on the Touch? What does that do? I'm not exactly PC savvy, so overlook my ignorance please.

The biggest thing I worry about with another SB and the ones I have is if/when one of them dies. If I knew of someone or someplace that could repair them, like with the VDF display as mentioned, then I would feel a lot better about buying another one.

I really like the looks of that Transporter.
    Re the EDO plugin. It allows a TOUCH to (1) play 24/192 hires files (otherwise limited to 24/96 hires files) and (2) connect to certain DACs using USB out of the TOUCH. I have several touch players too but don't bother with EDO. Out of ~80,000 files I have less than 20 24/96 files and zero 24/192 files. (Note regular CDs are 16/44.1 files). I find the optical and S/PDIF digital outs of the TOUCH to be more than enough. In my opinion, the EDO is *not* a reason to go for the Touch over the Transporter unless you are really interested in the ability to feed a USB DAC or play 24/192 files.

If you really like the Transporter, go for it. It's only money! I love mine. It looks great, it is well built with quality components, I really like the sound of the DAC, and it works nicely. Install the BLANKSAVER plugin so that the displays are OFF when not being used, and the thing should last forever.

Another use for EDO is USB only DAC's . They are quite common , the idea behind them is to have good computer audio and USB is commonly found on computers . Now you can utilise such a product on a Touch .

IMO it is quite silly to not have multiple inputs on a DAC , I like my products practical ie being able to conect all kinds of stuff and have spare inputs etc.

But some USB DAC's are a bargain too .

But I agree with Gary , it's not much content worthwhile availed exclusively > 24/96 .
    ( if you can buy the 24/192 they often also sells 24/96 ).

Another use is DoP files to a DSD capable DAC over USB , but that's even more niche .

You basically have to chose file format over content to get a large enough collection of any of these formats .
    IMO audiophile labels is like putting the cart before the horse
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html