Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

help me uninstall softsqueeze and replace with squeezelite

having difficulty uninstalling softsqueeze 3.9b2. Error message says no JVM found on system.
    Please point EXEC4_java_home to a JRE.

Ultimately, I'd like to replace softsqueeze with squeezelite. Any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by RioTubes View Post
    having difficulty uninstalling softsqueeze 3.9b2. Error message says no JVM found on system.
    Please point EXEC4_java_home to a JRE.

Ultimately, I'd like to replace softsqueeze with squeezelite. Any help appreciated!
    Please read your own question and think about 2 seconds how we can help you.
    Didnt you forget something?

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    Please read your own question and think about 2 seconds how we can help you.
    Didnt you forget something?
    Prior to posting my Q, I downloaded java. I could not find the file with "home" in the name referenced above.

To uninstall Softsqueeze - delete the softsqueeze jar file unless you are using a AWS but I think that is unlikely since Java is not working for you.

I think EXEC4_java_home is an environment variable which is specific to your system and it should be setup as part of the JRE installation so I think you have a faulty JRE installation.

What system are you using ?
    Have you run Softsqueeze before ?

Softsqueeze may not be the best choice (not been updated for a while) but it depends on your system. Squeezelite is headless - did you want a headless player ?

Thanks BPA
    I have LMS 3.7.7 installed on a win7 desktop PC. The music files are stored on an USB external HDD.
    Softsqueeze is installed on this PC because i used to stream to an SB Touch which is no longer in the system.

I have recently purchased a NAD D 7050 digital amp/streamer, which is in a different room than the PC.
    I want to control the music library from my iPad, and am considering iPeng 7 or squeezepad for this.
    I want to stream my wav files from the Win7 PC to my iPad and, in turn, stream the wav files to the NAD D 7050 via airplay. The NAD is an airplay receiver. So I thought I would remove softsqueeze and install squeezelite. Does this make sense, or is there a better way to accomplish this? Thank you

Does this make sense, or is there a better way to accomplish this? Thank you
    Seems like a very complicated solution. Would DLNA from PC to NAD with DLNA control point on Ipad not be simpler ?

Squeezelite has better support of different audio interface which might be useful to physically connect NAD to PC.

Do you have any suggestions on a good UPNP/DLNA control app that supports gapless playback (iPad) and DLNA server software? I have never used either.
    One hesitation I have is that most of these DLNA servers are subscription based. I have read that using JRMC and JRemote on the iPad supports gapless playback unlike PlugPlayer.
    Last edited by RioTubes; 2013-12-22 at 22:02.

I cannot recommend any DLNA stuff but you should try Whitebear ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...r-v2-1-Updated ) which is a DLNA server for LMS on Windows so at least you will have onl;y one library and Whitebear does transcoding. I think you will still a control point for Ipad but there a number of free apps you can try.

No idea about gapless but I think gapless on DLNA may not be standard. I think question about squeezelite player should be asked on the squeezelite thread ( http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ux-(alsa-only) title is not correct as squeezelite is also on Windows) as you'll get a better answer than on a "uninstall softsqueeze" thread. Squeezelite supports gapless on Linux and I expect also on Windows.

Why are asking about Plugplayer when you are using Windows and a NAD ?
    Last edited by bpa; 2013-12-23 at 03:38.

Hi
    Thanks BPA
    I have LMS 3.7.7 installed on a win7 desktop PC.
    LMS 3.7.7 ?

Didnt you think that that information is one of these i asking about?
    Did you know there is Win7 in 32 AND 64 Bit - the 64 Bit Java Client doesnt add a systemvariable named javahome anymore. So it seems you running 7 /64 bit.

So if you wanna help take yourself a bit more time to ask questions or in another words - why should i put more time in answering questions than the owner for asking the question?

btw. we are miles away with these dnla Stuff than the threadtitle would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    btw. we are miles away with these dnla Stuff than the threadtitle would expect.
    I think you can cut the guy a little slack. He is trying to integrate his new Airplay/DLNA compatible device into a LMS environment.
    The original solution led him down a blind alley of Java which started the thread - I reckon the solve the underlying need not the presented symptom.

I think Whitebear with LMS may work better with the NAD rather than the complicated Airplay based solution.