Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    On the question of 'Springsteen Bruce' - though I happily accept that LMS can interpret or display this sensibly, what's the benefit of having the additional ARTISTSORT element in the tag that might not get used? Is it simply to add it in because it's automatic and doesn't need any extra work? It does occur to me actually that in filing my CDs I have them under 'last name, first name' so Bruce is down with the 'S's; Mark Knopfler with the 'K's....
    Well, if it doesn't get used then it doesn't have any benefit at all. But if it does get used (and lots of software does use ARTISTSORT or Artist Sort) then it's very beneficial if that's the way you want to sort/view things. If I _had_ to view by Firstname Lastname I am sure I would get used to it, but fortunately I don't have to. And if you know you'll never use it, then you should omit that tag either at rip time or afterward. Because if you want to see Bruce under "B" then you definitely do not want an "ARTISTSORT=Springsteen, Bruce" tag in the file.

Not to go too far into the deep end, but there are other good things that "extra" tags can do. If you have a large collection of Springsteen albums, are some listed under the Artist "Bruce Springsteen" and others under "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band"? Or "Neil Young" and "Neil Young and Crazy Horse" or "Patti Smith" and "Patti Smith Group" etc? This is one example where the ALBUMARTIST tag can be useful. I tag each of those examples using the artist's name only in the ALBUMARTIST tag, and the name of the configuration (as listed on the album cover itself) in the ARTIST tag. LMS then groups them together (eg, all Bruce together, all Neil together, all Patti together) when browsing by artist.

Slightly OT, but has anyone managed to install Vortexbox from a USB stick?
    puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomuze View Post
    Slightly OT, but has anyone managed to install Vortexbox from a USB stick?
    not that I know of. frequently requested. Andrew says the next major update to Vortexbox software will allow installation from USB stick.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    not that I know of. frequently requested. Andrew says the next major update to Vortexbox software will allow installation from USB stick.
    There are instructions somewhere on how to install from USB, but they were so convoluted that I gave in and burned a CD. Usually I burn to CDRW if I think I'm only going to use it once, but unfortunately the ISO is too large to fit on CDRW.
    If USB install is coming, it's not a day too soon.

Regarding the time it takes to rip a single CD:
    among other factors like quality of your CD drive and your CD, it also depends on whether it's a real Audio CD or not: it feels like decades ago but in fact it is not so long ago that parts of the music industry tried hard to prevent copying a CD. For such CDs (sometimes there is a remark on the back cover) the ripping process might take really long to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Regarding the time it takes to rip a single CD:
    among other factors like quality of your CD drive and your CD, it also depends on whether it's a real Audio CD or not: it feels like decades ago but in fact it is not so long ago that parts of the music industry tried hard to prevent copying a CD. For such CDs (sometimes there is a remark on the back cover) the ripping process might take really long to succeed.
    ........or not succeed at all. I remember this from first time around with the MP3 rips. Wasn't it the case that some CDs wouldn't play on a computer? Maybe particularly ones on the Sony label?? Struggling to remember with any accuracy I'm afraid. I think though that I only ended up with a small handful of really difficult to rip CDs, most did go through OK, even if they did take a while.

Going back to the tagging thing, as this is one of the key reasons I'm starting over, I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research on the file tags somewhere. Can anyone recommend a good 'executive summary' of the issue? Something that covers the topic without too much 'tech-speak'?

Ta.

D
    SB user since 2000...
    3 x Touch; 2 x Boom ; 4 x Classic; 1 x Controller
    Controlled by iPad using 'Squeezepad'
    Vortexbox/Nova appliance running LMS version 7.9

Sony was putting out CD's that would install a rootkit on a windows PC IF autoplay was enabled (this was the default, but can be turned off). DBPowerAmp has a setting for reading these discs as long as your drive supports it. Check in the DBPA Options for the Defective By Design setting.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.1 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    ........or not succeed at all. I remember this from first time around with the MP3 rips. Wasn't it the case that some CDs wouldn't play on a computer? Maybe particularly ones on the Sony label?? Struggling to remember with any accuracy I'm afraid. I think though that I only ended up with a small handful of really difficult to rip CDs, most did go through OK, even if they did take a while.

Going back to the tagging thing, as this is one of the key reasons I'm starting over, I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research on the file tags somewhere. Can anyone recommend a good 'executive summary' of the issue? Something that covers the topic without too much 'tech-speak'?

Ta.

D
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ide_To_Tagging
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify