Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bingo View Post
    From what I remember- when I did run LMS on my not so new desktop PC it was a memory hog. It would ramp up the memory it was consuming and sometimes make my PC sound like an aircraft engine until I killed it. Maybe a more recent version of LMS would act differently...
    something must have been wrong with LMS or your PC. I run it on a few PCs, including a really old XP laptop. Doesn't slow down anything else on the PC at all. edit: Of course I'm talking about normal use. It uses a bit more memory during the short time you might be scanning your music library into the database. But even then, it didn't make my PC noticably different in response to other programs.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    LMS devices are at least usable if the external server goes kaputt! There are several options available for LMS servers - from 20 USD up.
    Hello Castalla
    thank you...I'm looking into them now. I had no idea! Just curious, what device were you referring to that is only $20 USD?

I'm reading this now...
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Are there any other resources you can direct me to?
    Last edited by 2bingo; 2013-12-15 at 15:42.

Hello Castalla
    thank you...I'm looking into them now. I had no idea!

I'm reading this now...

There were a lot of posts on this sort of thing sept 2012 when the end of Squeezeboxes were announced. Here's one:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...squeezebox.com
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

Hello Castalla
    thank you...I'm looking into them now. I had no idea! Just curious, what device were you referring to that is only $20 USD?

I'm reading this now...

There's the Pogoplug (but very limited availability). Probably, the Rapberry Pi is the cheapest - with bits and pieces needed (eg power supply and case, SD card) you're looking about 45 USD.
    LMS server: Pi Zero

Amp: Denon PMA-50

Players/Speakers: Touch, Logitech Radios, Sonos Play 1s & Beam, Libratone Zipp, GGMM E2 & E3, Yamaha WXAD-010, Loewe Airspeaker, Google Home Mini, Pioneer WX-SMA1, Roberts S1, O2 Joggler, Cisco Joggler

Brexit = ∞ stupidity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I suspect that is simply the IP address of an alternative mysqueezebox.com server (there are lots of mysqueezebox.com servers around the world, and not all are down at the same time). The approach I use is to avoid direct connection to mysb.com altogether. Instead I run LMS 24/7. It does everything mysb.com can do PLUS I can play my own music collection. (I'm running on a headless/keyboardless small server stuck in a back room cabinet that runs 24/7, that is, a VORTEXBOX. Sort of like a more powerful NAS).
    Thanks Gary - I'm looking into Vortexbox now and I like the idea of something that is only asked to do this task - but again I don't really have the need to serve my own files, rather I just want to get my little Squeezeboxes out to see the Internet (Pandora).

I have a feeling I need something a little less involved. I'm not able to be as technically savvy as I might have once (seems like I don't have enough free time to do the necessary puttering and troubleshooting the DIY solutions seem to demand).

thanks again, Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Almost all current internet radios depend on some external server service - almost all servers go down at some point (and several have just simply disappeared leaving the user with a useless piece of gizmo, or in the best case leave the user with a few presets). LMS devices are at least usable if the external server goes kaputt! There are several options available for LMS servers - from 20 USD up.

ps: depending on an internet device as an alarm is asking for trouble! Just get an alarm clock!
    I have a Roku SoundBridge radio. It doesn't depend on a server at all. Using a server for directory service (e.g search) is one thing, while designing every function around a server running either on a PC or some external service is another. They should allow the radio to connect to any Internet radio station directly without the help from a server. And radio itself should be able to keep the time instead of relying on the server sending the trigger for alarm. Putting necessary intelligence on the clients (e.g. radio here) is always a good and desired practice in designing any networked devices so that the minimum functions can be kept when the connection is down.

Quote Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
    I have a Roku SoundBridge radio.
    yes, it still depends on Roku running a server in the background. It's just invisible. But if Roku shut down the background server, there would be issues.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yes, it still depends on Roku running a server in the background. It's just invisible. But if Roku shut down the background server, there would be issues.
    It is not correct. When you select one of 18 favorites, the radio will try to connect to the station with that URL directly. No other server is involved in the process. The same thing is true for alarm function. In these use scenarios all necessary data is stored on the radio and related functions are executed locally by the device.
    Last edited by valley_nomad; 2013-12-15 at 17:36.

Quote Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post
    It is not correct. When you select one of 18 favorites, the radio will try to connect to the station with that URL directly. No other server is involved in the process. The same thing is true for alarm function. In these use scenarios all necessary data is stored on the radio and related functions are executed locally.
    but that's all true with squeezeboxes too if one uses the direct URL for internet radio. I can listen to all my internet radio favorites without mysqueezebox.com working at all, using a local LMS as the server. But I get your point. Maybe with the roku radio you don't need a local server. But try playing Pandora over a Roku player if Roku shuts down its back end server. or SiriusXM. Anyhow, nothing to argue over. Logitech doesn't make or sell squeezebox radios anymore. They are out of that business. We could just as easily discuss the pros and cons of a Hallicrafters 101 Mark III from 1957 as compared to a Hammarlund HQ-180AC from 1966.

edit: I have a Hallicrafters 101 Mark III. It weighs about as much as a 1957 Chevrolet and cost almost as much (in 1957)! But it won't play my FLAC files!
    Last edited by garym; 2013-12-15 at 17:56.

Roku does indeed use a central server. When you added that station to your Roku Favorites it is this server that offered that station and then added it to your Favorites. If/when Roku shuts down it's server you will not be able to browse for more stations to be played or added to your favorites.

In fact many Roku users have been complaining for a while that Roku is not keeping it's station lists and url's updated. With no Roku music streaming devices being sold anymore (i.e. revenue) there is little interest for Roku to pay much attention to it's music streaming server.

The one saving grace for Roku is it's video players which offer online station streaming. Is there a Roku Radio app for these? Don't know myself as I have no interest in using my Roku video player for music. I've seen apps for ShoutCast, Pandora, TuneIn, etc... but I've not seen one for Roku itself (like used for their old music players).