Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Another Transporter saved

My Transporter went completely dead - replacing the power supply recommended did the trick to revive it. Rapid delivered to Australia in less than a week. Thanks to all for contributions.

Failing IR, no display, wouldn't turn on - 5v beige PSU replaced

SYMPTOMS (over a week)
    IR failing from over 2m away with all remotes
    Display breaking up, then blank
    Finally a large noise, almost frying the speakers, followed by not turning on - despite repeated clicking after power-on

FIX
    5v beige PSU board replaced, from Rapid Electronics in the UK to Aus - within a week
    It actually arrived the day the Transporter finally died or, as Don McLean would have said, "The day the music died"
    Slide outer casing off, after removing 8 small hex screws from the sides of the Transporter only
    Taped a spare PSU inside, just in case(?)

Glad it's back, thanks to the forum contributors on this one
    Last edited by Roose; 2016-11-22 at 22:01.
    Source LMS 8.1.2 on FreeBSD (TrueNAS 12.0 U2) courtesy of audiodigitale.eu installer (wireless players)
    Bedroom Transporter > Densen DM10 amp > PSB Stratus Bronze speakers
    Kitchen Touch + Teddy Pardo TTouch PSU + Touch Toolbox 3.0 mods (SBGK) > Arcam rDac > Rotel RA02 amp > PMC DB1i speakers
    Office SqueezePlay > USB > Nuforce Icon 2 amp + DAC > Epos ELS3 monitors (or Grado SR125)
    Remote Univeral Philips Pronto SU890 x2
    Retired Duet receiver + Duet controller

Another happy Transporter saved.

Hi All- looks like one of my transporters is experiencing the same issue. the display has failed, although it still works otherwise (for the time being). i'm not sure i'm technically adept enough to replace the board, and i have yet to pull the cover off.

one thing unclear to me from the instructions elsewhere in the thread: is there soldering involved? if it's just screws and plugging the board in, i can probably manage.

thanks, and glad i found this thread.
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Quote Originally Posted by netchord View Post
    Hi All- looks like one of my transporters is experiencing the same issue. the display has failed, although it still works otherwise (for the time being). i'm not sure i'm technically adept enough to replace the board, and i have yet to pull the cover off.

one thing unclear to me from the instructions elsewhere in the thread: is there soldering involved? if it's just screws and plugging the board in, i can probably manage.

thanks, and glad i found this thread.
    I have essentially ZERO technical ability when it comes to electronics, etc. And I did the replacement in less than 5 minutes (and 4.5 minutes of that was unscrewing the screws holding on the case and then screwing them back in. Inside the transporter you'll see the power supply attached with a screw or two, and it has a single plug. Unscrew, unplug. Then attached replacement supply and plugin. Easy as can be. No soldering. If you can change the battery in your smoke detector, you can do this repair.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have essentially ZERO technical ability when it comes to electronics, etc. And I did the replacement in less than 5 minutes (and 4.5 minutes of that was unscrewing the screws holding on the case and then screwing them back in. Inside the transporter you'll see the power supply attached with a screw or two, and it has a single plug. Unscrew, unplug. Then attached replacement supply and plugin. Easy as can be. No soldering. If you can change the battery in your smoke detector, you can do this repair.
    thanks Gary- that's music to my ears.
    --

My Transporter is in the box in the basement, I think you might need a hex driver to open it, but can't remember. Everything inside is modular. Oppo BDR is the same just unplug and unscrew. If you are real paranoid just take a photo before.

Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    My Transporter is in the box in the basement, I think you might need a hex driver to open it, but can't remember. Everything inside is modular. Oppo BDR is the same just unplug and unscrew. If you are real paranoid just take a photo before.
    Yes. (what I call an allen wrench). I had a set of allen wrenches and one of them was the right size. can't recall whether it was metric or imperial size, but I had both in a set.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes. (what I call an allen wrench). I had a set of allen wrenches and one of them was the right size. can't recall whether it was metric or imperial size, but I had both in a set.
    Allen wrenches are better. As I remember it, a little force was required to get the screws started.

another transporter rescued, and it was just as easy as Gary suggested. 12 screws, 8 to slide the top off, 4 to remove the board, and i'm back in business.

thanks Gary, Felix, and particularly Nikkos for all the helpful guidance.
    --