Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwgreen3
    • Jul 2016

Another Transporter saved

My Transporter went completely dead - replacing the power supply recommended did the trick to revive it. Rapid delivered to Australia in less than a week. Thanks to all for contributions.

Comment

• Roose
      • Mar 2010

Failing IR, no display, wouldn't turn on - 5v beige PSU replaced

SYMPTOMS (over a week)
      IR failing from over 2m away with all remotes
      Display breaking up, then blank
      Finally a large noise, almost frying the speakers, followed by not turning on - despite repeated clicking after power-on

FIX
      5v beige PSU board replaced, from Rapid Electronics in the UK to Aus - within a week
      It actually arrived the day the Transporter finally died or, as Don McLean would have said, "The day the music died"
      Slide outer casing off, after removing 8 small hex screws from the sides of the Transporter only
      Taped a spare PSU inside, just in case(?)

Glad it's back, thanks to the forum contributors on this one
      Last edited by Roose; 2016-11-23, 05:01.
      Source LMS 8.1.2 on FreeBSD (TrueNAS 12.0 U2) courtesy of audiodigitale.eu installer (wireless players)
      Bedroom Transporter > Densen DM10 amp > PSB Stratus Bronze speakers
      Kitchen Touch + Teddy Pardo TTouch PSU + Touch Toolbox 3.0 mods (SBGK) > Arcam rDac > Rotel RA02 amp > PMC DB1i speakers
      Office SqueezePlay > USB > Nuforce Icon 2 amp + DAC > Epos ELS3 monitors (or Grado SR125)
      Remote Univeral Philips Pronto SU890 x2
      Retired Duet receiver + Duet controller

Comment

• Fizbin
        • Jan 2013

Another happy Transporter saved.

Comment

• netchord
          • Nov 2008

Hi All- looks like one of my transporters is experiencing the same issue. the display has failed, although it still works otherwise (for the time being). i'm not sure i'm technically adept enough to replace the board, and i have yet to pull the cover off.

one thing unclear to me from the instructions elsewhere in the thread: is there soldering involved? if it's just screws and plugging the board in, i can probably manage.

thanks, and glad i found this thread.
          --
          4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
          Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
          G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
          Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Comment

• garym
            • May 2008

Originally posted by netchord
            Hi All- looks like one of my transporters is experiencing the same issue. the display has failed, although it still works otherwise (for the time being). i'm not sure i'm technically adept enough to replace the board, and i have yet to pull the cover off.

one thing unclear to me from the instructions elsewhere in the thread: is there soldering involved? if it's just screws and plugging the board in, i can probably manage.

thanks, and glad i found this thread.
            I have essentially ZERO technical ability when it comes to electronics, etc. And I did the replacement in less than 5 minutes (and 4.5 minutes of that was unscrewing the screws holding on the case and then screwing them back in. Inside the transporter you'll see the power supply attached with a screw or two, and it has a single plug. Unscrew, unplug. Then attached replacement supply and plugin. Easy as can be. No soldering. If you can change the battery in your smoke detector, you can do this repair.
            Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
            Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
            Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
            The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
            Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
            Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• netchord
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by garym
              I have essentially ZERO technical ability when it comes to electronics, etc. And I did the replacement in less than 5 minutes (and 4.5 minutes of that was unscrewing the screws holding on the case and then screwing them back in. Inside the transporter you'll see the power supply attached with a screw or two, and it has a single plug. Unscrew, unplug. Then attached replacement supply and plugin. Easy as can be. No soldering. If you can change the battery in your smoke detector, you can do this repair.
              thanks Gary- that's music to my ears.
              --

Comment

• riffer
                • Oct 2007

My Transporter is in the box in the basement, I think you might need a hex driver to open it, but can't remember. Everything inside is modular. Oppo BDR is the same just unplug and unscrew. If you are real paranoid just take a photo before.

Comment

• garym
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by riffer
                  My Transporter is in the box in the basement, I think you might need a hex driver to open it, but can't remember. Everything inside is modular. Oppo BDR is the same just unplug and unscrew. If you are real paranoid just take a photo before.
                  Yes. (what I call an allen wrench). I had a set of allen wrenches and one of them was the right size. can't recall whether it was metric or imperial size, but I had both in a set.
                  Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                  Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                  Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• riffer
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by garym
                    Yes. (what I call an allen wrench). I had a set of allen wrenches and one of them was the right size. can't recall whether it was metric or imperial size, but I had both in a set.
                    Allen wrenches are better. As I remember it, a little force was required to get the screws started.

Comment

• netchord
                      • Nov 2008

another transporter rescued, and it was just as easy as Gary suggested. 12 screws, 8 to slide the top off, 4 to remove the board, and i'm back in business.

thanks Gary, Felix, and particularly Nikkos for all the helpful guidance.
                      --

Comment

• garym
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by netchord
                        another transporter rescued, and it was just as easy as Gary suggested. 12 screws, 8 to slide the top off, 4 to remove the board, and i'm back in business.

thanks Gary, Felix, and particularly Nikkos for all the helpful guidance.
                        perfect!

Comment

• bzlrbi
                          • May 2009

I, too, am a successful power supply replacer. Likewise, figuring out how to get inside was the hard part for me. (4 screws on each side of the unit, with a 1/16th hex mini-screwdriver.) The PSU comes out with, what my kit shows to be a "*T7" mini-screwdriver. Replacing the PSU, itself, couldn't have been easier.

Comment

• GeorgeG
                            • Jan 2012

This thread represents everything great about community forums. I was about to take my 7+ year old transporter to the tip on its apparent death, but fortunately decided to look here first. I'm in the UK so yesterday I ordered a PSU from Rapid Electronics as recommended and it arrived today (£8.47 + VAT - bargain). Not only did it revive the display, it also seemed to magically repair the DAC which had packed up about a year ago. As I have a Lyngdorf digital amp as well as a Quad 66, I was able to swap my "squeezeboxes" around previously so the loss of the DAC wasn't the end of the world. But at least I can now use them as preferred.

Absolutely over the moon that the Transporter is now as good as new for about £10. It was very straight forward until I stupidly managed to knock a couple of capacitors off the display PCB. it took me over an hour to replace them after watching some YouTube videos to make sure I got it right - quite a fiddle!

While I was on the forum I had a look at LMS stuff and decided to update to 7.9 from 7.5. My NAS runs Windows Home Server which I've previously updated and had fortunately made notes the last time I installed what was then a Squeezebox Server update.
                            And to think I was seriously thinking I would have to invest in new players/servers etc and start again. I was looking at what seem to be called "network music players" when I came across the Linn Klimax DS for a staggering £15,800 here in the UK! it doesn't seem to do very much the Transporter doesn't do, but of course it has the fancy power supply (probably costs more the £10!) ultra-low jitter master clock and is made from a single billet of aluminium- but does it sound any better? Or more to the point - is it £14,500 better?

Once again, many thanks to all the posters here.

Comment

• garym
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by GeorgeG
                              This thread represents everything great about community forums. I was about to take my 7+ year old transporter to the tip on its apparent death, but fortunately decided to look here first.
                              excellent!

Comment

• Julf
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by GeorgeG
                                And to think I was seriously thinking I would have to invest in new players/servers etc and start again. I was looking at what seem to be called "network music players" when I came across the Linn Klimax DS for a staggering £15,800 here in the UK! it doesn't seem to do very much the Transporter doesn't do, but of course it has the fancy power supply (probably costs more the £10!) ultra-low jitter master clock and is made from a single billet of aluminium- but does it sound any better? Or more to the point - is it £14,500 better?
                                £14,500 would buy you a pretty nice external DAC, and still leave money for a lot of music...
                                "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

Working...