Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    I'd be concerned about heat with the encased variety.

As for the Lambda, one could get away with mounting it with just one screw. (Maybe stick a piece of rubber underneath for added support)

Here's an example here from another forum member, using a similar PSU...

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...l=1#post876245

Another Transporter saved from the grave, had to do a factory reset but now it works hopefully for another 10-15 years.

Order the part, 2, yesterday from Rapid Electronics and got it today. The shipping was ú21 and the parts ú18.

A Different Tack

After many years continuous service my Transporter was unused for five month while we renovated the house. Two weeks after getting it running again it blew the mains fuse.

I diagnosed the fault to the 5V psu before discovering this thread, I nearly went down the Rapid Electronics route for a replacement but realised that it's the same old design and would probably fail again somewhere down the road so I set about finding a better replacement.

I ended up making a direct drop in replacement using an encapsulated psu that is rated at 20W and 4A. It also has an MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) of 54 years so hopefully it should last a while.

If anyone else is interested, I should be able to build you one for about ú20 + postage.

Craig

Name:  20191206_132554.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  260.1 KBName:  20191206_132606.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  172.0 KB
    Last edited by Craig; 2019-12-06 at 07:01.
    MC2Slim - Windows Shell and J River Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

Cool, another likable solution. Thanks for sharing it! The Rapid Electronics PSU usually fails only in terms of capacitors going bad though, so it's easy to fix for cheap with just a new set of caps whereas the rest of the power supply does not have to be changed or replaced. It's a matter of taste (and budget) eventually.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Nice! Good idea. I recall that my shipping costs (to the US) far exceeded the cost of the replacement PSU units. So I bought 4 replacements (same shipping cost as 1 PSU unit). I hope I'm good for another 20 years. ;-)
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Cool, another likable solution. Thanks for sharing it! The Rapid Electronics PSU usually fails only in terms of capacitors going bad though, so it's easy to fix for cheap with just a new set of caps whereas the rest of the power supply does not have to be changed or replaced. It's a matter of taste (and budget) eventually.
    I did consider changing the caps but you know what engineers are like

Craig

Cool mod! The original PSU has a life span of roughly 7 to 10 years so it's probably overkill for the average Transporter owner. Also, this is the first I've heard of a faulty PSU taking out the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    Cool mod! The original PSU has a life span of roughly 7 to 10 years so it's probably overkill for the average Transporter owner. Also, this is the first I've heard of a faulty PSU taking out the fuse.
    You're probably right but the feeling of panic when I thought that I might not have my Transporter working any more makes it a worth the effort.

Mine is one of the original units, pre-ordered from Slim Devices so I guess that makes it about 13 years old.
    It didn't sound right after a 5 month rest but it does now.

Craig

On a side note, it's interesting to see a slight difference between the earlier Transporter (above) and the later one. Note the right side.

Name:  Transporter_SE.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  222.3 KB

I think Craig may have removed the insulation sheet. To be honest, it's probably not a good idea. It's the only thing between the high-voltage rails and the metal case, besides a little bit of air gap.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts