Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Touch replacement

I have a Touch and a Radio, and an old smartphone with a dock. Let's say the Touch catches fire: Could I install Squeezeplay on the smartphone, connect it to my stereo, and get it to sync with my radio and still use the Squeezebox app to control both of them?

Depends on the OS of the smartphone.

If its Android there's 2 apps available that do playback. Squeeze Player and SB Player.
    If its iOS then iPeng has an in app purchase for playback.

All of those options will work very similarly to any other player, however certain streaming apps only work on real hardware and sync won't be as reliable or accurate.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobvfr400 View Post
    Depends on the OS of the smartphone.

If its Android there's 2 apps available that do playback. Squeeze Player and SB Player.
    If its iOS then iPeng has an in app purchase for playback.

All of those options will work very similarly to any other player, however certain streaming apps only work on real hardware and sync won't be as reliable or accurate.

It's Android 2.3... It's good to hear that sync is supposed to work although not completely stable. Any of the two mentioned players that you'd recommend?

SB Player I believe is 4.0+ anyway. So Squeezeplayer is the one by default.

I personally use Squeezeplayer on several different devices including an old desire Z with 2.3 and it is brilliant, although I do sometimes sync with other players it's not in a location where you can hear both players at the same time so I don't know how accurate sync is.

SB Player I believe is 4.0+ anyway. So Squeezeplayer is the one by default.

I personally use Squeezeplayer on several different devices including an old desire Z with 2.3 and it is brilliant, although I do sometimes sync with other players it's not in a location where you can hear both players at the same time so I don't know how accurate sync is.

It so happens that mine is a Desire Z as well. So I'll go with the SqeezePlayer. It'll be great with the dock. Thanks for helping out

Quote Originally Posted by ButC View Post
    It so happens that mine is a Desire Z as well. So I'll go with the SqeezePlayer. It'll be great with the dock. Thanks for helping out
    You're welcome.

If it helps here's a market link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....squeezeplayer

And also one for SB Player, which does seem to have more features and could possibly be a better option, however I'm 99% sure it doesn't support 2.3. I've not tried it myself because I'd already purchased Squeezeplayer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.sbplayer

Depending on how you plan to use Squeezeplayer I'd also suggest Orange Squeeze as a control app on the desire Z. That way you'll have a display and control locally. Orange Squeeze integrates squeezeplayer into the player selection menu and offers an option to automatically start squeeze player when it starts. Other Android control apps will require the player app to be started manually

If you're hiding the desire away and only controlling it with other devices then it may be wise to get squeezeplayer starting automatically on boot. The link below will help with that.

http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2013/05...er-on-startup/

OT a bit, but IMO the Z is quite possibly the best built phone I've ever owned, I was also a bit dubious of the hinge being a weak point but no such problems, mine was abused and used frequently as a torch in my job as an Electrician with no problems. I'm sure it could probably function as a hammer its that solid. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

You're welcome.

If it helps here's a market link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....squeezeplayer

And also one for SB Player, which does seem to have more features and could possibly be a better option, however I'm 99% sure it doesn't support 2.3. I've not tried it myself because I'd already purchased Squeezeplayer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.sbplayer

Depending on how you plan to use Squeezeplayer I'd also suggest Orange Squeeze as a control app on the desire Z. That way you'll have a display and control locally. Orange Squeeze integrates squeezeplayer into the player selection menu and offers an option to automatically start squeeze player when it starts. Other Android control apps will require the player app to be started manually

If you're hiding the desire away and only controlling it with other devices then it may be wise to get squeezeplayer starting automatically on boot. The link below will help with that.

http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2013/05...er-on-startup/

OT a bit, but IMO the Z is quite possibly the best built phone I've ever owned, I was also a bit dubious of the hinge being a weak point but no such problems, mine was abused and used frequently as a torch in my job as an Electrician with no problems. I'm sure it could probably function as a hammer its that solid. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I don't get the option of SB Player in Google Play so it most likely doesn't support 2.3.

Yes, I'll go with Orange Squeeze in order for the automatic start and to have a player (UI) when having the phone in the dock (bought the dock for almost nothing just a couple of months ago, just because I had this solution in mind and I was fearing that they would stop selling them But if I go with Orange Squeeze, can I still control the Desire Z from another phone?

On the OT: I have for years, now, plagued friends and family by saying that I own the best phone ever made And I still believe that for the money it did cost, it IS the best. Rock solid. Good camera. Great display. And a keyboard... I just recently bought an old Desire HD (again for almost nothing) and liked the larger display so now it's time for the Z to serve as a Squeezebox. I don't have the slightest doubt it won't keep doing a great job

Yes to controlling it with any other method, including other SB or the web interface. I've controlled the player on a phone with a SB Touch.

Just thought I'd say that everything went great. Not a single problem. The Desire Z in its dock almost looks like a Touch. And the sound is more than okey. Thanks for your help...

Cash is king. By the way.

To be honest, I can now see that it wasn't all perfect. I have a harsh "pop" everytime I start, and stop, playing a song. I don't have this with my Touch connected to a receiver. Anyone know why I get it and what to do?