Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Controller app for MS Surface

I am likely to be getting a Surface 2. What suggestions are there for a Controller app? I haven't looked at the app store, but doubt that there will be a Surface-specific app, given the SB status.

The Surface 2 runs a Win 8 variant, Windows RT. The Surface 2 Pro runs standard Win 8.1. I am guessing I may be stuck with the pricey Pro, given my requirement for SB control.

No comments on my choice of tablet please. I am very aware of the options.

Ron

Been using Squeeze Remote for more than a year.
    http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...0-bff2377eadf6

It had some crash issues in an earlier version, but that got solved last summer.

He originally made a version for Windows Phone 7.x and 8.x
    http://www.7illusions.com/SqueezeRemote
    Last edited by slate; 2013-12-01 at 13:46.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Thanks. I had just been to the app store and saw this, was going to ask about it.

I was a little concerned when I followed the link in the app store to the author's website and there was no info on the Win 8 version, only Windows phone.

Glad to hear it works. Any obvious deficiencies?

R.

The biggest issue is that you can not run it on the server itself; this should be a limitation with the platform...?!

Other than that I have used it with both touch and mouse; of cause there are things in the user interface that one would like differently... personal preferences/taste... well there is a trial periode so give it a spin, and if you see errors write the developer he usually responds in 24 hours.
    Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
    Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Good to see there is at least one option.

I have been out of touch. Are there other Windows-based controllers that would work on an 8.1 tablet?

R

I would guess on the Surface Pro you could use SqueezePlay. It's UI is much the same as a Duet controller and the Touch UI. On RT you could always use a web browser. I actually quite like using a browser where I have enough screen real estate.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9.4 Official on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Test system - LMS 8.0 nightly on Win10Pro - Squeezeplay
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

How about controlling it through a browser with this plugin: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ace-%28beta%29