Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Grrr.. Just when you think it's all going so well.....

Hi there,
    been on and posting more just recently in a fit of SB enthusiasm. Tonight it's all gone a bit pear-shaped, though I suspect it's not actually going to be an LMS or SB issue at the end of the day.

To start with I'd been listening to one of the players in the lounge, switched off to come through to the bedroom, and literally a minute or two later, tried to connect the player there (SB3). It wouldn't connect. It had been working just a couple of hours before, and had successfully done a WOL to the server, (which has been the positive achievement of the last couple of days). I tried to get it to connect several times and eventually power cycled and factory reset it. Still no joy, so I rebooted the PC and the router. At this point 5 other players disappeared leaving just one connected. I also think that the SSID might have changed with the router re-boot, as it shows up as default 'NETGEAR' in the windows network and sharing centre... (but.. The ipad still has the original SSID showing...?) The network is still working OK to some degree as the ipad was - and still is - connecting.

The player that's still connecting is a Boom - and prior to my harmonising all my kit with one SSID a few months back, it had been connecting to a 'Netgear' SSID - perhaps it had retained that in its settings somewhere and just cycled back to that? Also, one of the players, a Touch, which is ethernet connected via 'powerline extenders', doesn't show up on LMS; on Squeezepad; or the Logitech Squeezebox app, but it does show up on the netgear network map utility.

It might end up being a new router. Before I factory reset that to see if it makes any difference, I'll need to find all my ISP details and settings, but it's too late here tonight to start messing around with this, and I have an early flight.

I can see a couple of potential solutions if it's the router, including buying one that's less basic, and maybe with better range, to avoid me having to use the powerline adapters i currently have set up. Like others I suspect, the network was set up to do simple stuff, and as times have moved on, with more wifi & other devices, it's maybe getting a bit stretched. the router is a netgear DG834, probably about 5 or 6 years old.

To quite a degree, I feel that perhaps I'd be taking advantage a bit in asking for help for generic computer questions on a platform-specific forum. So can anyone recommend any good 'computer basic' forums where people deal with each other as adults? I'd love to get advice here, as it seems to me to be a valuable source of experience, but I'd quite understand if it was too far from the "core business" of the forum. Please don't take that the wrong way, as I do appreciate how helpful folk here are.

Thanks

Donald
    SB user since 2000...
    3 x Touch; 2 x Boom ; 4 x Classic; 1 x Controller
    Controlled by iPad using 'Squeezepad'
    Vortexbox/Nova appliance running LMS version 7.9

When stuff like this happens to me about 80% of the time it is DHCP that is causing the problem. A player's lease runs out and the DHCP server doesn't renew the lease for some reason, so the player can't get any data, even though the actual network connection is still there.

I have had three routers that have problems with this, the DHCP server works fine after it is booted up, but over time it gets slower and slower and eventually it takes so long to respond to the request for a new lease that the player times out waiting for it.

In my system what made it work was every month shut the entire system down. Turn on the router, give it ten minutes to make sure it was up and nice and stable, then one by one turn on each device on the network (not just SB players, EVERYTHING on the network, computers printers, SB etc). This would usually keep it going well for the rest of the month. If you turn them all on at once it can overload the pitiful DHCP server.

I finally gave up and bought a small fanless low power computer and put pfSense software on it, which turns it into a fantastically good router, no more network problems!

I know we shouldn't have to deal with all the stupid network issues, but inexpensive residential network products are not always highly robust.

John S.

Hi,

why don't you use fixed IPs ? Each device that I only use in my flat has a fixed IP. Mobile devices are configured by static DHCP. No probs with DHCP so far.

Regards Roger
    SB Touch
    SB Boom
    SB Radio
    Thinkpad T530, Win 7 Pro 64bit, LMS 7.9

I assume you did try to just restart the router first, right?
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

thanks for the replies.

I've been reading up on DCHP, trying to get to grips with what that means. I'm afraid the 'fanless computer with a pfsense install' sounds a bit complicated or daunting. I'd also be happy to use static IP addresses if that was straightforward to implement. By their nature, the players are pretty static - connected to amps/speakers etc. The Boom players might move about the house, but never further afield.

On the question about restarting, I shutdown both PC and router at the same time. I then started up the PC (as I've mentioned elsewhere it's a PC that has been frequently shutdown and restarted. Once it was up and running, I restarted the router. Any mistake in this? If there is, then I guess it's 'common knowledge' that I unfortunately don't have.

I'll be switching it all back on when I get home in a couple of hours, and will see what the position is then.

Thanks again though.
    SB user since 2000...

You should definitely start the router first!
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    definitely! Also, I assign fixed IP to all my SB players (since they don't leave the house/network). And I mean true "fixed" IP addresses, not simply reserved IP addresses in router. I assign fixed IP addresses outside the range that the router hands out DHCP addresses. I use something like:

(this all assumes your router is 192.168.1.1; some are 192.168.0.1)

IP: 192.168.1.20 (the "20" can be anything above 1 and below where your DHCP starts in the router. mine start at .100)
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (this is just your router IP address)
    DNS: 192.168.1.1 (this can be your router IP address....one can also use the google DNS, which is: 8.8.8.8)

with older players, sb3, boom, receiver, one can easily setup fixed IPs using the menu. With TOUCH and RADIO, it is a bit harder. I simply temporarily turn OFF the DHCP in my router, then go through a factory setup with the TOUCH or RADIO or DUET CONTROLLER. It can't get an IP address via DHCP and then will fail and give you the option to manually enter IP address info (may have to scroll down a bit on menu screen to see this manual option once the automatic assignment fails). Once done, then turn DHCP in router back to "on"
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

What a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger66 View Post
    Hi,

why don't you use fixed IPs ? Each device that I only use in my flat has a fixed IP. Mobile devices are configured by static DHCP. No probs with DHCP so far.

Regards Roger
    I have had similar problems and I will try giving my two SBoxes fixed IP addresses.

Setting static IP addresses in all SB devices is fine, but 'pinning' the IP addresses in the router's DHCP server might be easier to configure, depending on the router's UI (and on the router's reliability).

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Fair enough. No argument, and I'll remember that for next time. Do you mind if I ask why?

So, been trying to get to grips with this for the last hour or so - thought I was getting somewhere, then it all just went pear-shaped again.

I logged into the router via a web utility and checked what settings I could.

Then I went round and tried to connect the players again. This seemed to be going well enough. I got an SB3 (wireless); the Touch (ethernet); and an SB1 (wireless via powerline extender) to connect.

Next up was an SB1 (powerline ethernet) and that wouldn't connect. Passed on that and tried the last one, a Boom (wireless) this wouldn't connect, despite finding the SSID after a factory reset. Took it upstairs next to the router, and while it will connect to the network, it won't find the server. I've had to manually enter the Server IP address, and it just gets stuck in an endless: "connecting". Now, without my doing anything, two of those players mentioned above have dropped of the LMS control panel (but still show as connected on the Netgear Genie utility! as does the Boom that's stuck in the 'connect' loop. (Edit - tried another factory reset of the Boom that's sitting next to me, and when I get to 'select music source' it says "No Squeezebox Server Found" - despite the fact that it's running, and able to play via two players.... It will connect and play music via mysqueezebox.com.

I've added the info below in case that helps pinpoint anything.

Finally - and I hope/suspect this might be significant, though I don't know why - in LMS, in the 'choose player' drop-down box at the top right of the screen, I was getting about 4 of the players to show, but there was a line drawn across the options, below that the system name was listed, and then the Touch. I clicked on the Touch and got a message: "This player is currently connected to MacNeill-PB - do you want to connect it to this LMS?" Selected 'yes', and now it appears above the line, but all the other players are gone....

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195 @ Mon Aug 12 11:14:33 CUT 2013
    Hostname: MacNeill-PB
    Server IP Address: 192.168.0.8
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Windows 7 - EN - cp1252
    Platform Architecture: 8664
    Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 2

Library Statistics (deleted for space reasons

Player Information
    Information on all identified devices connected to Logitech Media Server

Garage SB2
    Player Model: Squeezebox
    Firmware: 40
    Player IP Address: 192.168.0.8
    Player MAC Address:
    Wireless Signal Strength: 50%

Squeezebox Touch
    Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
    Firmware: 7.7.3-r16662
    Player IP Address: 192.168.0.5
    Player MAC Address:

If I can get this sorted, I will then look at static IP addresses as per Gary's post.

Any clues in all of this? a reinstall of LMS? Router nearing the end of it days?

And apologies if this is all a garbled 'stream of consciousness' - I'm trying to explain things logically, but might be failing miserably.

Thank you
    Last edited by donmacn; 2013-11-27 at 03:05. Reason: Deleting MAC address on good advice
    SB user since 2000...