Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Reconnects every few minutes

Lately my Boom has been reconnecting every 2-10 minutes day and night, whether turned on or off. It will display "connecting..." and then go to the "cannot find address for mysqueezebox.com" for about ten seconds before returning to the original screen. If it was on, I would hear a quick dropout in the sound just before going to "connecting..." but the music would continue through the rest, and it will come back to "Now Playing". If it had been off, it will just return to the clock.

I have not noticed this on my Radio or Receiver, although I have not watched them as closely. I did power off the Radio so it wouldn't appear on the network, since it's fairly new to the household, but that didn't change anything.

I've rebooted the router (Netgear) and done a factory reset on the Boom. Wifi isn't a problem, with the Boom on Channel 6 about 12 feet from the router with 99% shown in the settings. The only other network is a low signal on channel 1 - not many nearby neighbors. The Boom is at Release 57, and I only ever use it through MSB.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kc5f View Post
    Lately my Boom has been reconnecting every 2-10 minutes day and night, whether turned on or off. It will display "connecting..." and then go to the "cannot find address for mysqueezebox.com" for about ten seconds before returning to the original screen. If it was on, I would hear a quick dropout in the sound just before going to "connecting..." but the music would continue through the rest, and it will come back to "Now Playing". If it had been off, it will just return to the clock.

I have not noticed this on my Radio or Receiver, although I have not watched them as closely. I did power off the Radio so it wouldn't appear on the network, since it's fairly new to the household, but that didn't change anything.

I've rebooted the router (Netgear) and done a factory reset on the Boom. Wifi isn't a problem, with the Boom on Channel 6 about 12 feet from the router with 99% shown in the settings. The only other network is a low signal on channel 1 - not many nearby neighbors. The Boom is at Release 57, and I only ever use it through MSB.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    I suspect a loose power connector or something wrong with the power cord. what happens if grab the power cord just before the connector on the back of the boom and wiggle a bit? does it cause it to lose connection briefly. If that doesn't reveal anything, I'd at least try to change the channel (maybe 11). Sometimes there are things that cause interference on a specific channel (other than other wifi networks) and this can be true even if the wifi strength is high.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks, Gary. I tried the plug and power cables from the Boom back to the wall, and no wiggling of any part had any effect. I then switched the router to channel 11 and everything followed dutifully. And then minutes later the Boom hiccupped again.

It's just a milliseconds blip, hardly noticeable, and the music doesn't skip at all. One thing I did notice while watching the Squeeze Commander display two times since then is that the track elapsed time number drops back 5-10 seconds when it blips, and then catches up again when the Boom has reconnected about 10 seconds later. But that could be normal since it's watching msb, which has temporarily lost contact.

It's continued since then, pretty consistently at every 4-5 minutes. I have to spend some time on the computer, so I'll take the Radio with me to see if it does anything similar. I sure hope the Boom isn't giving up - the Radio just isn't the same!

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kc5f View Post
    Thanks, Gary. I tried the plug and power cables from the Boom back to the wall, and no wiggling of any part had any effect. I then switched the router to channel 11 and everything followed dutifully. And then minutes later the Boom hiccupped again.

It's just a milliseconds blip, hardly noticeable, and the music doesn't skip at all. One thing I did notice while watching the Squeeze Commander display two times since then is that the track elapsed time number drops back 5-10 seconds when it blips, and then catches up again when the Boom has reconnected about 10 seconds later. But that could be normal since it's watching msb, which has temporarily lost contact.

It's continued since then, pretty consistently at every 4-5 minutes. I have to spend some time on the computer, so I'll take the Radio with me to see if it does anything similar. I sure hope the Boom isn't giving up - the Radio just isn't the same!

- Steve
    hmmm, very odd. Only other test I can think of is to temporarily wire it with ethernet to your router to see if you get the blips. Keep in mind that simply plugging in an ethernet wire to back of boom doesn't switch it to ethernet. You have to go into settings and change it from wifi to ethernet connection. can't recall the exact menu items, but should be obvious. Try running it this way for a bit. If it still hicuups, then it is not your WIFI. If it works with ethernet, it is not the Boom per se. This said, some people have problems with wifi cards working lose inside SB3 and I presume Booms. So if it works with ethernet but not with wifi, maybe there is a problem with the wifi card inside the boom. Good luck.
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop

When you mentioned the Wi-Fi card, I remembered reading that here, too. I bounced the Boom a bit to see if it would glitch, but it didn't. But it also hasn't done so again since then, so it sounds like something might have been loose and is now in place. I guess I'll not take it out of the house again and hope that it lasts. Thanks for your advice, Gary!

hopefully it was something simple. good luck.

Last night I noticed my Boom doing something similar.

Every 10 seconds or so, the display will change from the clock (my now playing screensaver) and flash up a message for a split second. It's so brief that I haven't yet been able to read the message.

The boom is already connected via wired Ethernet, and there doesnt seem to be any noticeable effect on the audio.

Will try restarting my slimserver and see if that helps, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

Cheers

Andy