Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Rebuffering nightmare

I'm getting rebuffering 2 -3 times per song on my local media and same with streaming media (MOG, LastFM, Slacker). I've had my setup for awhile (about 4 years, 2 SBT's) and it has never been this bad.

Any ideas?? It's really maddening!!

Brooks

Some basic information would help. What are you running LMS on (computer, NAS, one of your Touches)? Are any of your connections, particularly the server, wireless? If you're running LMS on a computer, what are the other demands on the computer?

If wifi is any part of your equation, note that some things could affect your setup that you may not notice at first, such as a malfunctioning microwave oven, a new wireless router in the neighborhood, etc.

What about connecting player directly to MySB.com (no LMS even running) for online stations? Still get re buffering?

Running LMS on ReadyNas Duo (Firmware: 7.7.2-r9663), touches are connected via ethernet). No new router, microwave, etc.

Are the Touches sync'd or playing separately? And I take it you are getting rebuffering on both the Touches? If so, try replacing the ethernet cables, starting with the one from the NAS to the router.

yes, my touches are synced. I may have narrowed down the problem a wee bit.

The rebuffering was occurring on my local media with high rez files downloaded from hdtracks. I'm now playing local media ripped from my cd's and no rebuffering.

So maybe it's the flac files only?

Quote Originally Posted by bb1959 View Post
    yes, my touches are synced. I may have narrowed down the problem a wee bit.

The rebuffering was occurring on my local media with high rez files downloaded from hdtracks. I'm now playing local media ripped from my cd's and no rebuffering.

So maybe it's the flac files only?
    16/44.1 flac are probably not causing buffering. Probably the 24/96 or 24/192 flacs. I can see how things might buffer with 24/192 files (as the readynas duo is woefully underpowered (I have one) and it has to do the work to convert the 24/192 to 24/96 so the Touch can play it. I wouldn't expect buffering with the 24/96 given that no conversion is being done (and everything is wired with ethernet).
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

I download only 24/96. Would upgrading my NAS be the way to go? I really hate to do that but if it's the only solution...

BTW, I've had the NAS for 4 or so years and I've been downloading 24/96 flac for at least several years and never had the dropout problem until recently.

I download only 24/96. Would upgrading my NAS be the way to go? I really hate to do that but if it's the only solution...

BTW, I've had the NAS for 4 or so years and I've been downloading 24/96 flac for at least several years and never had the dropout problem until recently.
    24/96 should be fine as the Touch plays them natively. And the fact that you've been using them and have no problem points to something else. It seems:

1. only happens with your 24/96 files (more of a strain on network)
    2. your NAS and TOUCH players are all wired via ethernet (so no WIFI involved)
    3. All worked ok in the past with same files and NAS.

This leads me to believe that something is going wrong with your router, any switches you are using, or even an ethernet cable. Switches/routers can have particular jacks go bad. Cables can go bad, etc. And maybe it takes the hires files to "stress" the system and make the problem appear.

You can test the readynas, by plugging in a laptop or something to your router. Install LMS on the laptop, put some files on it, including hires, and stream to your touches. Still get buffering? If so, not the readynas fault. No buffering? Then I'm curious about the readynas (although it could still only be the switch, router,cables at that point)
    Home: VBA2.5 4TB or rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B/pCP6.1/4TB>LMS 7.9.3>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet except Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

One thing to check in the LMS settings is the file type settings, flac file can either be sent as flac files and the Touch does the decoding, or LMS can do the decoding and send PCM to the touch. Try it both ways and see which works better. I'm on vacation right now so I don't have an LMS handy to tell you exactly what the settings are, but there are others here that can help with that if you can't figure it out on your own.

One thing we do know is that many of the online sources compress their files with level 8, the highest compression ratio, which takes more horsepower to decode. You might want to try a program that takes the flac file and re-compress it with a lower level (say 1) and see if that makes any difference.

John S.