Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

More squeezebox hardware alternatives: MK808, Influence of the DAC

Hi everybody, i have been using the combination of a Tronsmart MK808, a chinese Muse DAC based on the TI PCM2704 and a QF9700 as a squeezebox alternative (~70$ altogether) with squeezelite.

At first using android as the operating system i was not to impressed, sync was somehow unreliable (networking in general). Changing that to picuntu (RC3) made the problems go away, so now i am quite happy with it and looking to buy another unit.

The question that keeps bugging me is, if there can be any difference regarding the audio quality, if sound is output via a digital output (SPDIF) at a given sample rate (it is digital after all, is it?). So as long as I keep using digital outs (and sample rates of 44.1/48 kHz, I could use just about any external soundcard?

Quote Originally Posted by xvlun View Post
    So as long as I keep using digital outs (and sample rates of 44.1/48 kHz, I could use just about any external soundcard?
    Yes.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953