Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJZolx
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Philip Meyer
    With the original behaviour, there was one list of artists, that you could configure a bit. In Settings > My Music, there are some options to configure the single Artists list, one of them being the option to either:
    List compilation albums under each artist
    Group compilation albums together

Track-only artists are by default not displayed in the artist list. i.e. artists that only appear as guests on songs, and not at album context, do not get displayed in the list. This was to prevent the list becoming unweildy with many artists cluttering the list that only have one or two songs on compilation albums.

If you select "List compilation albums under each artist", you will probably see all artists.
    Except that it only works with artists found on compilation albums. The album described above is not a compilation. See this old bug:

You can easily have track-only artists that appear on non-compilations and have no way of getting them to appear in the artist list.

Comment

• vanye
      • Jun 2011

Thank you for your answers. First of all it's good to know that this is a software bug indeed and not me being stupid. Call me vain, but that's how I feel.

First thing I did was change the setting for compilation albums and rescan As JJZolx remarked, this works only for artists that are on discs that have the compilation flag (compilation=1). But for these it works.

As I use Daphile, I'll have to ask Kimmo about using LMS 7.9. now that. I know there is a solution down the road, waiting is not a problem.

Thanks again both of you.
      vanye

Comment

• JJZolx
        • Apr 2005

You might try setting COMPILATION=1 and seeing how that works. If you have an ALBUMARTIST set for the album, there may not be much difference in overall behavior if LMS thinks the album is a compilation.

Comment

• Philip Meyer
          • Apr 2005

Multiple Artist Tags

>Except that it only works with artists found on compilation albums. The
          >album described above is not a compilation. See this old bug:
          >

Ah, I see. I thought that option did cause the Artists list to show all artists, album artists and track artists. Fairly sure it used to, but I have so many single-song artists (guests or on compilations), that I always hide them from the artist list. I'd never browse for them; usually I'd play the album and just expect a guest artist name to come up when the track is playing, or otherwise search.

I think artists on songs not associated with albums would also appear, as "No Album" ends up being a compilation. So it is a bit strange that guest artists appearing on another artists album are excluded. Surely it makes more sense and would be easier to have an option to include all artists, rather than find all artists on compilations.

Comment

• Jeddie
            • Jul 2015

Still Confused

I have read this thread multiple times and am still confused.

With the song "Under Pressure" by David Bowie & Queen, how do I get this song to appear under each artist?
            ATM I have Album Artist = Queen and of course it appears under Queen only.

My setup;
            * Running LMS 7.9.1
            * I use Album Artists only when searching.
            * All files in FLAC
            * Using LMS setting = 'Use 2 seperate lists for album Artists & All artists"

Comment

• Blackfiction
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Jeddie
              I have read this thread multiple times and am still confused.

With the song "Under Pressure" by David Bowie & Queen, how do I get this song to appear under each artist?
              ATM I have Album Artist = Queen and of course it appears under Queen only.

My setup;
              * Running LMS 7.9.1
              * I use Album Artists only when searching.
              * All files in FLAC
              * Using LMS setting = 'Use 2 seperate lists for album Artists & All artists"
              You can tag the song to have multiple 'artists', for example with mp3tag. With mp3tag you can for example use
              Artist = Queen\\David Bowie

That way, LMS will show the song under both Queen and David Bowie.
              It is also possible to tag multiple 'album artists' with mp3tag if you would like to.
              Living: EtherRegen -> Ultrarendu -> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2 -> ATC SCM19 v2 & Sennheiser HD650
              Kitchen: SB Touch -> Audio Pro Addon T10 gen2
              Kids rooms: SB Booms
              Bedroom: SB Boom & SB Radio
              Controls: Material Skin & LMS via internet, iPeng
              Server: Windows 10 Pro with LMS 8.3
              Spare: 2 SB Touch, 1 SB3, 2 SB Radio

Comment

• d6jg
                • Feb 2011

By accident of design Material displays only the first item it finds in the JSOn array that LMS produces so using your example I would tag as follows

Artist (Track Artist) - “Queen & David Bowie”

Album Artist - Queen & David Bowie\\Queen\\David Bowie

When you look in artists you will find the album under all three entries but when you play the track your player will display Queen & David Bowie. Likewise if you were to look under albums it would be shown in Material as by Queen & David Bowie. In LMS GUI you would see all 3 entries and isn’t quite as neat as the way Material behaves in this respect.

Note also that if you tag this way MAI will give you 3 options to choose from when you ask for Artist Info. Material i button will operate on Queen & David Bowie but the 3 options are exposed under More

If using mp3tag then be aware that \\ creates multiple tags but you can also use ; which creates only one tag but when scanning LMS reads 3 items into the database which is the same as reading the 3 separate tags.
                Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• cpd73
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by d6jg
                  Note also that if you tag this way MAI will give you 3 options to choose from when you ask for Artist Info. Material i button will operate on Queen & David Bowie but the 3 options are exposed under More
                  LMS should provide Material with a list of artist IDs, and if Material has a list it will ask MAI for the bio for each ID - and append these to the displayed text. So, it should show bios for all. I've just noticed, and fixed, a slight typo that might affect this - but not certain.
                  Material debug: 1. Launch via http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json (Use http: //SERVER:9000/material/?debug=json,cometd to also see update messages, e.g. play queue) 2. Open browser's developer tools 3. Open console tab in developer tools 4. REQ/RESP messages sent to/from LMS will be logged here.

Comment

Working...