Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Multiple Artist Tags and the Now Playing Screen

I want to revive this thread for an additional question:

I'm still reluctant to use multiple artist tags since I'm not really satisfied how they are shown in the Now Playing screen.
    Using the previous example, when I set tags like

albumartist=Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
    artist=Dave Matthews;Tim Reynolds

where the semicolon is the separator, the Now Playing screen shows the artists as "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, Dave Matthews, Tim Reynolds". But I'd prefer to see "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds" only.

Is there a way to achieve this?

I do see the album under each of the artists and under the combined artist name which is how I like it.

Work Around

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    I want to revive this thread for an additional question:

I'm still reluctant to use multiple artist tags since I'm not really satisfied how they are shown in the Now Playing screen.
    Using the previous example, when I set tags like

albumartist=Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
    artist=Dave Matthews;Tim Reynolds

where the semicolon is the separator, the Now Playing screen shows the artists as "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, Dave Matthews, Tim Reynolds". But I'd prefer to see "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds" only.

Is there a way to achieve this?

I do see the album under each of the artists and under the combined artist name which is how I like it.
    Not exactly what you want, but I’ve used a work around for this issue.

On the Elton John and Leon Russell album “The Union” I tagged as follows.

Album Artist: Elton John
    Artist: Elton John;Leon Russell

The now playing screen on my Touch displays;

“Song Title”
    Elton John, Leon Russell
    The Union

The album shows up under both Elton John and Leon Russell when browsing by artist (which is how I want it). I do have other albums by each though.

Is the albumartist tag really needed in your case?

Album Artist

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    Is the albumartist tag really needed in your case?
    That's a good question.

I use an album artist tag on every album which is not a band (i.e. Elton John). I then set an album artist sort tag (i.e. John, Elton). So an Elton John album is displayed as "Elton John" but is listed under J, not E. I guess I'm old school about sorting.

I rip with dbpoweramp and the album artist tag is set when I rip (I think this is the default setting, or its a set once and forget it. I don't remember setting this up). I then add the sort tag with Mp3tag.

As I said earlier this all works perfectly on the display of the Touch. It is causing an annoyance in iPeng 7 which displays album artist, artist, and composer (I think the Logitech controller app does too). So now playing in iPeng 7 dispays as such:

Leon Russell, Elton John, Elton John, Leon Russell
    If It Wasn't For Bad
    The union

Leon Russell is the composer and an artist, Elton John is the album artist and an artist on this track.

I think the use of an artist sort tag and no album artist tag would still get the desired result on the Touch but not in iPeng 7 where I would have to delete the composer tag.

I'm going to have to think this through for now as changing my tagging scheme would be a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieG View Post
    I'm going to have to think this through for now as changing my tagging scheme would be a lot of work.
    I will also check how much albums are affected before I change anything. Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Question Multiple Artist Tags

I use the multiple artist feature of the LMS with the ";" as separator. There are two questions I have concerning this:

The first issue I find is that there is still a third artist created. For example the album Riding with the King, artists Eric Clapton;B.B. King. While the album is shown under Eric Clapton now, as well as B.B. King, there is still a third artist, named B.B. King, Eric Clapton.

OK, this is not so bad, I reckon, something I could certainly live with. What I find worse, though, is the fact that the single artists only appear if they have solo-albums besides the one in which they are named alongside others. So, if I had only the one album Riding with the King by B.B. King, and not another one of his albums, there'd be no artist "B.B. King" at all.

Is there any way to repair at least the second issue?

vanye

Quote Originally Posted by vanye View Post
    I use the multiple artist feature of the LMS with the ";" as separator. There are two questions I have concerning this:
    What version of LMS are you using? And what type of files are these? (Flac, Mp3, etc.) If Mp3, what type of tags (ID3v2.3, ID3v.2.4, etc.)?

LMS version is 7.8.1. It's integrated with Daphile.

Music files are FLAC, tagged with Media Monkey and MP3Tag.

I've been playing around with this using a small test library and I'm not seeing the same thing. Maybe we can it figure out.

I'm running LMS 7.8.1, with a library of Mp3 files with ID3v2.3 tags, using ";" as a separator. I tag that same album:

ARTIST=Eric Clapton;B.B. King

I have no other B.B. King albums in the library, but I have one other Eric Clapton album. Browsing artists I see both 'B.B. King' and 'Eric Clapton', but not a 'B.B. King, Eric Clapton' nor 'Eric Clapton, B.B. King'.

Where I do I see something like 'B.B. King, Eric Clapton' is in the current playlist and Now Playing, plus when viewing the album details, where it shows the following:

Artist: B.B. King, Eric Clapton

But LMS is just showing a list of individual artists on the track or album in these cases.

Are you using any other tags, such as ALBUMARTIST?

Multiple Artist Tags

>I use albumartist to specify "Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds" and
    >artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds
    >

I specify all individual contributors in Artist tags, and associate a band name / artist(s) alias in a Band tag. I only use Album Artist when I have differing artists across tracks of an album.

eg.

Artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds
    ArtistSort=Matthews, Dave\\Reynolds, Tim
    Band=Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds

If one track had a guest performer, then I would set Album Artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds.

This way, you can swap and change presentation of the album to either show artists or band, whereas when there is an album artist, it will always be shown.

I have LMS configured to display "album by band" rather than album by all artists.

However, LMS has a bug in that it no longer shows the band name instead of artists :-(