Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomuze View Post
    I don't have a Tim Reynolds Solo Album, but he does appear my browse artists list:
    It's not likely that he appears because of that album. He must appear elsewhere in the library. Maybe he's on an album with another artist where there is no ALBUMARTIST.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    That's how I would tag that album as well, but as discussed in another recent thread, there's a potential problem with doing this. When you have an ALBUMARTIST, the ARTISTs are given 'track artist' roles on that album. Due to a quirk (bug) in LMS, unless these artists also have at least one full album in your library, they won't appear in the browse artist list, no matter what your set in the server options.
    Thanks, this confirms exactly what I am seeing. But as long as I can put multiple artists in, it's fine. It was just the figuring out that threw me off.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    It's not likely that he appears because of that album. He must appear elsewhere in the library. Maybe he's on an album with another artist where there is no ALBUMARTIST.
    Per LMS, he only appears as follows:

Browsing into either folders yields identical results:

Viewing tags confirms all albums tagged as follows:
    albumartist=Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
    artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds

Last edited by audiomuze; 2013-10-22 at 19:16.
    puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Multiple Artist Tags

Viewing tags confirms all albums tagged as follows:
    albumartist=Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
    artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds
    Do you have one artist tag (TPE1) with delimiter or two distinct artist tags? My tagger writes two artist tags. Confirmed with mp3tag but I am on my iPad so can't post a screen shot.
    Maybe that's the difference?
    Last edited by MeSue; 2013-10-22 at 19:46.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    Do you have one artist tag (TPE1) with delimiter or two distinct artist tags? My tagger writes two artist tags. Confirmed with mp3tag but I am on my iPad so can't post a screen shot.
    Good question.

I just looked through an old bug report of mine: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5108

According to comment 1, that's exactly what happens when using a separator instead of multiple ARTIST fields. Bizarre. Also you can force the artist roles to be simple 'artist' rather than 'track artist' by adding a COMPILATION=0 field to these tracks. Try it. You could then keep the ALBUMARTIST field.

Just more idiosyncrasies caused by LMS' hacked together compilation logic and the way that much of it spilled over to affect the handling of non-compilations. It would be infinitely simpler (and more powerful) if there were two artist browse methods - by Album Artist and by Artist, where the latter would simply include every artist in the library. So you'd have the ability to either browse every artist, or browse the uncluttered artist list, without the need for switching an option and with a lot more predictability.

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    I'll have to check but I suspect it is a mixed bag. puddletag supports either form and if I recall correctly handles input differently depending on whether you're editing via an extended tags view or the main window. Technically speaking there *should* be no difference re how LMS treats them as long as it recognizes the delimiter.

I also tend to use compilation=0 for regular albums and compilation=1 for va albums. I'll check whether that's been done for these.

I've just had a look and it's a complete mixed bag.

3 of the albums have compilation=0
    2 of the albums have artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds
    1 of the albums has two separate artist= entries
    1 of the albums has artist=Dave Matthews\\Tim Reynolds for one track and separate artist=DM artist=TR entries for the remaining tracks.

I've just used puddletag to join the artist= tags so now all albums are tagged artist=DM\\TR as a single entry, and all also have compilation=0. Rescanning and subsequent browsing yields identical results to that I reported earlier.
    Last edited by audiomuze; 2013-10-22 at 21:40.

I've also just used puddletag to split the artist= tags so now all albums are tagged artist=DM and artist=TR as separate artist= entries, and also removed the compilation tag altogether. Rescanning and subsequent browsing again yields identical results to that I reported earlier.

Just in case anyone's wondering whether my changes are being picked up, I'm physically moving the folder locations between each change so the "old albums" are deleted and new albums detected.

MeSue, are you having these issues with MP3 files only (my tests were on FLAC only)?
    Last edited by audiomuze; 2013-10-22 at 22:29.

MeSue, are you having these issues with MP3 files only (my tests were on FLAC only)?
    Mine are all MP3. And I'm away from home for a few days so can't test anything. I'm really okay with how I have it now. It was just a little confusing trying to figure it out.
    Sue