Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philippe_44
    • May 2008

I'm in for 2
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• jmalin74
      • Sep 2014

Potentially 2 more here, depending on price...

Comment

• jeremy
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Cheesy
        My Boom screen is also on its way out.

Here's a bulk buy (minimum 5) option:

Haven't requested a price.
        I'm in for three please (again depending on price)
        RaspberryPi4 server running Raspbian & LMS 8.3, USB hard drive
        Lounge - Pi4 running piCoreplayer 8 connected via USB to Naim DAC-V1, Linn LP12/Ekos/Troika, Naim NAC102, Linn Tunebox crossover, 4 x Naim NAP250 power amps with Avondale Audio 2018 mods, Linn Keltik active isobarik speakers. Cotrolled by 2 Jogglers or phone
        Office - Squeezebox Boom
        Kitchen - Squeezebox Radio x2
        Sunroom - Squeezebox Boom
        Bedroom - Squeezebox Radio x2 plus another in en-suite
        Dining Room - Squeezebox Radio

Comment

• Rheinländer
          • Feb 2008

Hi,

I have a question regarding the vfd replacement: Is the vfd soldered to the board, or is it just plugged in with the ribbon cables?
          It will be interesting to know if the layout of the replacement panel will match the corresponding layout of the boom's pcb.
          I would be interested in one panel depending on price.

Regards

Rheinländer

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

The Boom VFD looks like it is socketed (at least on my unit which was a beta test not production unit)

The Alibaba suggested VFD looks to be too long - the spec says it is 165mm long but Boom unit looks to be about 110mm long see photo.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bpa; 2014-09-28, 14:59.

Comment

• Rheinländer
              • Feb 2008

I did some research on the internet. The vfd used in the boom is a Noritake ITron MN16032G. Unfortunately those are hard to come by these days. When looking at the specs by Noritake, the display comes with its own pcb attached to it (probably a driver board of some kind), whereas in the boom they are attached to the boom's pcb. This means in order to fit a replacement vfd on the boom's pcb, one has to remove (solder) the board the new vfd comes with prior to fitting it onto the boom's board.
              Who knows if this will work at all...

Regards

Rheinländer

Comment

• philippe_44
                • May 2008

hmmm ... does not look good. I have a desoldering station and all that jazz, but it is a big piece of HW to remove then. Can you send me the exact link where the display can be found ?

[edit] : I mean, I don't know how many pins would need to be (de)soldered hence the concern
                LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• mikeh49
                  • Jul 2011

Link to 160X32 display for Boom:

The MN16032G references to this.

The main page:

Comment

• Cheesy
                    • Oct 2009

Next steps?

Originally posted by philippe_44
                    hmmm ... does not look good. I have a desoldering station and all that jazz, but it is a big piece of HW to remove then. Can you send me the exact link where the display can be found ?

[edit] : I mean, I don't know how many pins would need to be (de)soldered hence the concern
                    Any more thoughts on this or are we waiting for each other to blink .

There are about 18 pins to desolder/solder - this is just a guess on my part by examination of the PCB in the Boom.

Very tidy soldering skills are required I think.

Comment

• philippe_44
                      • May 2008

Any more thoughts on this or are we waiting for each other to blink .

There are about 18 pins to desolder/solder - this is just a guess on my part by examination of the PCB in the Boom.

Very tidy soldering skills are required I think.
                      No, unfortunately not. I've been busy with my battery extension for Boom then an applicaton I wrote to integrate uPNP devices into LMS ... I'm still okay to do the test, but I don't think any of us found the way to really purchase the displays, no ? Maybe you're right, we might all be waiting for the other

Comment

• Cheesy
                        • Oct 2009

Consensus on correct VFD

So from the original noritake link posted by mikeh49 (http://www.noritake-itron.jp/eng/pro...0/160x32.htm#D), I went to the UK site (there's a link in the top right) and found it here:

It's not cheap, but I would just like confirmation that this really is the correct one - it certainly looks like the exact one, but what about amp rating etc:

Who's the VFD Daddy?

['cos it's not me].

Comment

• philippe_44
                          • May 2008

So from the original noritake link posted by mikeh49 (http://www.noritake-itron.jp/eng/pro...0/160x32.htm#D), I went to the UK site (there's a link in the top right) and found it here:

It's not cheap, but I would just like confirmation that this really is the correct one - it certainly looks like the exact one, but what about amp rating etc:

Who's the VFD Daddy?

['cos it's not me].
                          Okay so I will try to buy one or if I can't because I don't leave in the UK, I'll wire you the money to buy one and send it to me and I'll try

Comment

• bpa
                            • Oct 2005

Who's the VFD Daddy?

['cos it's not me].
                            Have you compared the mech 2d spec ( http://www.noritake-itron.com/specs/...A%20-%202D.PDF ) against the photo I posted in http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...l=1#post791706

After a quick look the length doesn't look quite right.

Comment

• djringjr
                              • Feb 2013

Replace VFD Display

Of course, this whole problem could have been ended if Logitech had decided
                              to push marketing of Boom which is the finest sounding box made. The
                              bi-amped sound is excellent. They sound great. They do work well on WiFi.

They have aging problems - who doesn't.

The Display fades. The speaker surrounds degenerate over time - but that
                              is "state of the art" for the material available to give the speaker the
                              ability to respond (compliance) that it needs.

Wisely the power supply is not in the unit - so heat is much less.

This is a legendary product, it should NOT have been abandoned, Logitech
                              should have bought the chip maker's plant and used it for this and other
                              products.

This should be a stocked item, supported by Logitech.

Alas, this is not true.

Boom is a beauty queen, and one that will age gracefully because it is
                              excellence of quality.

But please Logitech, support your legend.

People would have wanted this and would have paid for this if only they
                              could have listened to it. Or perhaps if you sold more and were able to
                              drop the Boom price to $150. (USD).

David Ring
                              Green Harbor, MA

Comment

• philippe_44
                                • May 2008

Originally posted by djringjr
                                Of course, this whole problem could have been ended if Logitech had decided
                                to push marketing of Boom which is the finest sounding box made. The
                                bi-amped sound is excellent. They sound great. They do work well on WiFi.

They have aging problems - who doesn't.

The Display fades. The speaker surrounds degenerate over time - but that
                                is "state of the art" for the material available to give the speaker the
                                ability to respond (compliance) that it needs.

Wisely the power supply is not in the unit - so heat is much less.

This is a legendary product, it should NOT have been abandoned, Logitech
                                should have bought the chip maker's plant and used it for this and other
                                products.

This should be a stocked item, supported by Logitech.

Alas, this is not true.

Boom is a beauty queen, and one that will age gracefully because it is
                                excellence of quality.

But please Logitech, support your legend.

People would have wanted this and would have paid for this if only they
                                could have listened to it. Or perhaps if you sold more and were able to
                                drop the Boom price to $150. (USD).

David Ring
                                Green Harbor, MA
                                Yep - love the Boom. I was missing battery capability and with the small mod I've made, this is a great, fully integrated, portable for a few hours solution - too bad the display is fading

Comment

Working...