Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joske View Post
    Hi Joe,

you fixed my boom in 2017 (new screen). Now it's broken again, screen doesn't show anything. The power plug was always finnicky, last time I used it, all was fine, I turned it off, and went dead. I figured it was just the plug that moved a little and no contact, but now I can't get it to start up at all. If I wiggle the power jack, I get some light on the buttons, but the screen always stays black... I checked the power brick and it's giving around 25V. That seemed a little high but when I checked another power brick from a router that also claimed to output 12V, it also measured around 25V. Same behaviour with that power supply. Any ideas?
    If it was me, I would try to determine if the boom was dead or just the screen. Look at the LMS web interface, material screen, or iphone/android control pp (I use squeezecntrl), and see if the Boom is "seen" by LMS. Then, can you play something on it?

Then you know the state of the boom/display.

I have a boom with a dim display in my workshop in a somewhat inaccessible location. I use my phone and a duet controller to control it. I really don't use the screen except to glance at it to see what's playing.

Jim

PS - I am no expert on the switching power supplies, but I have seen bad supplies where you measure voltage unloaded, but when loaded the can't supply the needed current, or the voltage drops (i.e. can't supply the power).

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    If it was me, I would try to determine if the boom was dead or just the screen. Look at the LMS web interface, material screen, or iphone/android control pp (I use squeezecntrl), and see if the Boom is "seen" by LMS. Then, can you play something on it?

Then you know the state of the boom/display.

I have a boom with a dim display in my workshop in a somewhat inaccessible location. I use my phone and a duet controller to control it. I really don't use the screen except to glance at it to see what's playing.

Jim

PS - I am no expert on the switching power supplies, but I have seen bad supplies where you measure voltage unloaded, but when loaded the can't supply the needed current, or the voltage drops (i.e. can't supply the power).
    Thanks, I can see the BOOM is alive, it responds to power button, but screen stays off. As I mistakenly removed squeezebox server from my NAS (wanted to install latest version, but didn't realize I had to keep the old one installed), I can't see it there. I think the boom has lost its network settings, as it doesn't connect to wifi. Without screen, I can't troubleshoot much further, or I need to disassemble it myself, with which I broke it last time ;-).

Thanks, I can see the BOOM is alive, it responds to power button, but screen stays off. As I mistakenly removed squeezebox server from my NAS (wanted to install latest version, but didn't realize I had to keep the old one installed), I can't see it there. I think the boom has lost its network settings, as it doesn't connect to wifi. Without screen, I can't troubleshoot much further, or I need to disassemble it myself, with which I broke it last time ;-).
    Perhaps just install LMS on your PC/Mac at least temporarily, attach to the network, look for players, see if boom is there.

I don't know much about NAS, but I don't think you need an old version of LMS to install a new one.

Perhaps just install LMS on your PC/Mac at least temporarily, attach to the network, look for players, see if boom is there.

I don't know much about NAS, but I don't think you need an old version of LMS to install a new one.
    I installed LMS with docker, and it's running, but I think the boom doesn't even get an IP address (wifi settings lost?). It's a special situation on QNAP NAS :-/. Anyway, I don't think I'll invest again in fixing. Thinking of getting a Kanto YU6 (but out of stock right now :-/).

I installed LMS with docker, and it's running, but I think the boom doesn't even get an IP address (wifi settings lost?). It's a special situation on QNAP NAS :-/. Anyway, I don't think I'll invest again in fixing. Thinking of getting a Kanto YU6 (but out of stock right now :-/).
    I don't have a boom at the location that I am right now, but from memory, I think you might be right. I recall on power up there are a series of setup questions that are handled via the display and buttons/dial. In fact, see page 13 of https://www.logitech.com/assets/3237...-userguide.pdf

I don't know if anyone else knows a work around?

I still love my booms for the sound quality, ease of use and portability. I don't know your location, but in the US you can get one on ebay for about $80. Of course you are subject to both the dim display and the sticky knobs so it might be best to ask the seller. If one of mine died I think I would repair it or get another

Good Luck;
    Jim

I don't have a boom at the location that I am right now, but from memory, I think you might be right. I recall on power up there are a series of setup questions that are handled via the display and buttons/dial. In fact, see page 13 of https://www.logitech.com/assets/3237...-userguide.pdf

I don't know if anyone else knows a work around?

I still love my booms for the sound quality, ease of use and portability. I don't know your location, but in the US you can get one on ebay for about $80. Of course you are subject to both the dim display and the sticky knobs so it might be best to ask the seller. If one of mine died I think I would repair it or get another

Good Luck;
    Jim
    In Europe. Did not check online, but ordered the Kanto Tuk. Will use it in combination with chromecast audio that I already had. In fact I was using the boom in exact same way (did not often use the squeezebox server anymore), so seems a more future proof option.

Hi Joe,

you fixed my boom in 2017 (new screen). Now it's broken again, screen doesn't show anything. The power plug was always finnicky, last time I used it, all was fine, I turned it off, and went dead. I figured it was just the plug that moved a little and no contact, but now I can't get it to start up at all. If I wiggle the power jack, I get some light on the buttons, but the screen always stays black... I checked the power brick and it's giving around 25V. That seemed a little high but when I checked another power brick from a router that also claimed to output 12V, it also measured around 25V. Same behaviour with that power supply. Any ideas?
    Dear Joske,
    sorry for the delay, I have no idea why I wasn't notified about the new messages here. Also sorry that your display fails after only three years. I can see only two possible reasons for it. It's likely that I changed your display but did not find issues with the filament power supply back in the day, so that was left working / unfixed. It might have failed by now. So the display might be all right but the power supply for it isn't. I don't mean the wall plug but internal circuitry. The other reason might be an internal failure in the display. This is extremely rare but happened once before.
    I see that my late return to this topic might have caused you to decide against keeping your Squeezebox(es) which is even more sorry. If it is a possibility for you, please send me your Boom another time and I'll have a look at what is wrong. The internal power supply can be fixed for as little as 10 EUR, and that might be all. If the display is broken, I'm sure I will get a new one from Noritake, they are really kind in this respect.
    If you're still interested, please send me a PN or e-mail. Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts

Tragedy strikes during attempted repair. Control panel sought.

Normally I'm pretty good at doing repairs of electronics. One of my two Booms plays just fine, but had a blank display. So I decided to try the diode fix.

Unfortunately, as careful as I was, I misunderstood how to disconnect thecontrol panel and tore the connector off.

Perhaps I shall buy a better magnifier, and very fine tip for my soldering iron and attempt micro-surgery. But I think finding an otherwise dead Squeezebox Boom that I could scavenge for the control panel might be best.

Has anybody got a dead, parts-only, Boom, they'd like to sell?
    LMS 7.9 - 2xSB2, 2xBoom, 2xKodi, Ocean Digital WR2300S, Denon AVR-X6200W, SHIELD Android TV

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMuc2009 View Post
    Dear Joske,
    sorry for the delay, I have no idea why I wasn't notified about the new messages here. Also sorry that your display fails after only three years. I can see only two possible reasons for it. It's likely that I changed your display but did not find issues with the filament power supply back in the day, so that was left working / unfixed. It might have failed by now. So the display might be all right but the power supply for it isn't. I don't mean the wall plug but internal circuitry. The other reason might be an internal failure in the display. This is extremely rare but happened once before.
    I see that my late return to this topic might have caused you to decide against keeping your Squeezebox(es) which is even more sorry. If it is a possibility for you, please send me your Boom another time and I'll have a look at what is wrong. The internal power supply can be fixed for as little as 10 EUR, and that might be all. If the display is broken, I'm sure I will get a new one from Noritake, they are really kind in this respect.
    If you're still interested, please send me a PN or e-mail. Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Joe
    Hi Joe, not sure yet what I'll do, might repurpose the speakers and build in a raspberry pie music player for my kids. Today my new speakers arrive, and the result of that (audio quality) will also imfluence the decision. Thanks anyway, I might still take your offer to ship it to you.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wcattey View Post
    Normally I'm pretty good at doing repairs of electronics. One of my two Booms plays just fine, but had a blank display. So I decided to try the diode fix.

Unfortunately, as careful as I was, I misunderstood how to disconnect thecontrol panel and tore the connector off.

Perhaps I shall buy a better magnifier, and very fine tip for my soldering iron and attempt micro-surgery. But I think finding an otherwise dead Squeezebox Boom that I could scavenge for the control panel might be best.

Has anybody got a dead, parts-only, Boom, they'd like to sell?
    If you are in the EU, I could offer you to solder the connector back in place. Which side was torn off? The connector of the front panel PCB or the one on the other side (mainboard)? I believe this should be rather easy to fix unless soldering pads were also ripped off the board. Might still be repairable though.
    Send me a PN if you are interested.

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?ri...50753#allposts